Not your favorite?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What do you do if you've brewed a beer that you are not all that keen on?

Drink it asap to get it out of the way?
Drink it after you've had a few good ones?
Drink it before you have a few good ones?
Leave it until your short on good ones?
Blend it?
Something else?

I've got one that I thought had a turps taste but after a week in the keg it's okay. Not my favorite style but strong and full of flavour, just not quite the flavours I like. Thankfully it was only a 2.5g batch and It's nearly finished a week in.

Open one when you're not quite sure if you want (or need) another...that way you won't feel quite so bad if you leave it half drunk.

I'd let it age in the bottle and see if it improves to your liking over a long period of time. If it does, you could have potentially saved many batches in the future from being pitched before their time.

Call your friends and tell them it's a "really good one". If it's crap, they'll not be as quick to devour your next brew, which may very well be a good one.

I take the keg to one of the local homebrew meetings and attach a clipboard asking for input. People are always ready to evaluate and make suggestions. And drink everything available!

I would be inclined to let it age also, and see what comes of it.

However, I think Cheesefood has hit on the ideal solution.

When I got a couple drinkable batches and one is not so hot I usually force the friends to alternate. You can drink 1 good, 1 great and then "this stuff". Keep em rotating through. Heck I'm even doing that myself with my brown ale that I'm not so happy with.

And if all else fails, use it to cook with! I've only had one bad batch (so far) and I used for cooking purposes. It made great beer-butt chicken!

Cheesefood said:
Call your friends and tell them it's a "really good one". If it's crap, they'll not be as quick to devour your next brew, which may very well be a good one.
Yeah, and not only that but they can't ever say that you're not generous with your home brew.

Thanks for all the tips.

It wasn't a bad batch, just not my favorite style. Anyway the problems gone now. I've drank the lot. With a few samples to others for tasting notes. (They all liked it) I think it was a little Malty and Fruity with plenty of hop aroma, maybe it needed more bittering hops.

Back