Best pH meter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scut_Monkey

Reaction score
I'm trying to get more involved in monitoring my mash pH. I have used the cheap pH test strips with no luck. I know some recommend the colorPhast pH strips with the understanding that you need to add 0.3 to get the corrected value. I am debating if I should go this route for $20 or go full out and buy a pH meter. Let me know if you have had experience with both or either. I really am not crazy about the idea of buying a pH meter but if it's the only tool that will let me know if I'm at the appropriate pH reading I'll do it. Obviously they are more accurate than the colorphast strips but is this level of accuracy needed when we are shooting for a pH range during the mash?

Here are the potential options I'm looking at.
HM pH-200 (my favorite so far) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00132G102/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Milwaukee MW101 (kai's recommendation at a great price)http://www.katssafety.com/products/milwaukee-mw101-entry-level-phorp-portable-temperature-meter.aspx

Hanna Checker 1 (cheap) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003IKNJPW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Milwaukee 600 (super cheap) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005H78ZI0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

ColorPhast test strips for cheap ($13.17)
http://vwrlabshop.com/colorbphbast-ph-test-strips-emd-chemicals/p/0011566/

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it comes down to accuracy and precision like any testing equipment. With the colorphast strips I would have an accuracy of ~0.3. With a cheap pH meter meter this is reduced to +/- 0.1. With a meter like the Milwaukee MW101 this is reduced to +/- 0.02 or somewhere in that range.

If I'm only concerned with making sure my mash pH is acceptable does it really matter if the mash is 5.4 vs 5.5? I'm leaning toward the cheap Milwaukee pH600 which would let me answer the question above but won't allow me to fine tune the pH like an expensive meter.

I use an ISFET type ph meter for both winemaking and beer... Though much more for wine. ISFET is a microchip design, does not need to be kept wet, it's not as temperamental as the usual membrane/bulb types, it's auto-calibrating and temp-correcting, only tales a drop to calibrate or take a reading. Wipe it dry and store it dry when done. Extremely convenient.

Mine is the Hach h-138 http://www.hach.com/h-series-minilab-meters/category-products?productCategoryId=7640516322

I use an ISFET type ph meter for both winemaking and beer... Though much more for wine. ISFET is a microchip design, does not need to be kept wet, it's not as temperamental as the usual membrane/bulb types, it's auto-calibrating and temp-correcting, only tales a drop to calibrate or take a reading. Wipe it dry and store it dry when done. Extremely convenient.

Mine is the Hach h-138 http://www.hach.com/h-series-minilab-meters/category-products?productCategoryId=7640516322

The link provided shows these pH meters at around $199. They also only seem to carry an accuracy of +/- 0.1pH which the cheap pH meters will give me also. The convenience doesn't seem worth it to me although I didn't know these types of pH meters existed so that's cool to know.

The 138, which is the model I have, has a ph resolution of 0.01, repeatability of 0.03 and input accuracy of 0.01

The two less expensive models are 0.1, 0.1, 0.1 respecitively.

The main advantage and why I bought mine however was I tend to take a lot of ph readings for winemaking, before crush, after crush, after ferment, after any additions, after MLF, etc. the ISFET design is ar more convenient than the traditional probes, I can take droplet sized samples just as I do with the refractometer.

It's not necessary for everyone, I started with a cheap Milwaukee, but it got to where I couldn't trust the readings and spent more then half the time manually calibrating...

The 138, which is the model I have, has a ph resolution of 0.01, repeatability of 0.03 and input accuracy of 0.01

The two less expensive models are 0.1, 0.1, 0.1 respecitively.

The main advantage and why I bought mine however was I tend to take a lot of ph readings for winemaking, before crush, after crush, after ferment, after any additions, after MLF, etc. the ISFET design is ar more convenient than the traditional probes, I can take droplet sized samples just as I do with the refractometer.

It's not necessary for everyone, I started with a cheap Milwaukee, but it got to where I couldn't trust the readings and spent more then half the time manually calibrating...

I see. Yeah that makes sense if you do a lot of measurements. The biggest detractor for me with a pH meter is the fact that the probes have such a limited life span. In my eyes a 2 year life span for a $50 probe is hard to justify. Is this true with a ISFET meter?

From the hach FAQ
2. What's the life expectancy of IQ Scientific's stainless steel non-glass pH probe?
The non-glass probe stores dry which increases the expected life however the life of a non-glass ISFET probe is dependent upon the user’s application and reasonable care. With most applications, a user should expect a probe to perform to specifications for about 18 months to two years. In applications with intermittent usage, coupled with appropriate cleaning and storage, probes have lasted over five years.

Since the probe can be stored dry, and doesn't need to stay in buffering or storage solution, it is much easier to maintain..

I think I'm going to get this milwaukee ph600. It is super cheap but at the compromise that it has an accuracy of +/- 0.1. Is it necessary to have something more accurate for a mash ph? If so the next step up in meter quality is $50-80 which I can do if needed but not without reason. Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005H78ZI0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I chose the Hanna pHep5 and so far it's been great. I read some reviews and decided to go with it over the Milwaukee based on the service people received from them.

I bought the Milwaukee 600 from a vendor on Amazon (not sure which). When it arrived the probe was completely dry (not sure if that is normal). I could never get a repeatable reading. I ended up throwing it away. I am currently looking at a more expensive model.

I bought the Milwaukee 600 from a vendor on Amazon (not sure which). When it arrived the probe was completely dry (not sure if that is normal). I could never get a repeatable reading. I ended up throwing it away. I am currently looking at a more expensive model.

I'm pretty sure NIB probes arrive dry, and you have to follow the manufacturers instructions to rehydrate the probe before use. My Hanna pHep 98128 arrived bone dry, but after following their directions it woke up and has been working perfectly...

Cheers!

You must read the instructions Young Jedi.... Re-hydrate that dry pH probe in 7.01 solution for 3-4 HOURS.... Then turn that bad boy on. It'll wake up and perform.

if your just checking mash ph just save money and get the colorfast strips. I have used both and the maintenance on the meters is a PITA. The strips you just pull out and use them then put them away. The meters need calibrated stored in solution and may still not hold calibration. the strips are easy, convenient,cheap, and accurate enough for checking mash.

if your just checking mash ph just save money and get the colorfast strips. I have used both and the maintenance on the meters is a PITA. The strips you just pull out and use them then put them away. The meters need calibrated stored in solution and may still not hold calibration. the strips are easy, convenient,cheap, and accurate enough for checking mash.

Are you adding 0.3 to the reading of the strip? I highly considered them and would have rather had some low maintenance but their lack of accuracy made me decide against them. I wanted a more accurate meter to learn more about ph and then once I know how things react I may switch to the strips.

Buffer solution is cheap and lasts a long time. Have had a couple pH meters after using the colorfast strips when I started all-grain brewing and I could not disagree with you more.

Buffer solution is cheap and lasts a long time. Have had a couple pH meters after using the colorfast strips when I started all-grain brewing and I could not disagree with you more.

well we all have our opinions and I respect yours. But I just add .3 to the strip reading and have had accurate enough results (confirmed with a ph meter). for just confirming mash PH to within a range the strips work fine (in my opinion).

Back