Rogue Maple Bacon ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tasted it on draught and was not impressed. IMO, vo0doo doughnuts are okay but not worth standing in line for an hour to get. Anyone can put a slice of crispy bacon on a fresh maple bar--- Tasty? yes, definitely. Remarkable?? No not really.

if you ask me, Rouge is enjoying a little free ride on the Voodoo brand recognition that carries over from their exposeure in the food network and their killer location in downtown Portland adjacent to the saturday market

and the beer isn't worth even half of what they get for it. To me. Sorry John.

I tasted it on draught and was not impressed. IMO, vo0doo doughnuts are okay but not worth standing in line for an hour to get. Anyone can put a slice of crispy bacon on a fresh maple bar--- Tasty? yes, definitely. Remarkable?? No not really.

if you ask me, Rouge is enjoying a little free ride on the Voodoo brand recognition that carries over from their exposeure in the food network and their killer location in downtown Portland adjacent to the saturday market

and the beer isn't worth even half of what they get for it. To me. Sorry John.

Why else would you make a beer like that, or the new voodoo doughnut beer they've got?

I made a long drive, had the beer, couldn't drink it.
I think that with all the great brewers out there, or even all the great brewers in Oregon alone, Rouge is a disappointment.
Sometimes their good, some are middle of the road, some are bad. Their mead tastes like cider. Probably heavily cut with the cheaper cider.

Rogue has always been a KISS brewery for me. (keep it simple stupid)
Dead guy is a great solid maibock
shakespeare stout, yellow snow, hazelnut brown, mocha porter
Imperial youngers ESB is pretty decent.

Im actually a fan of the voodoo line. I split it with a couple friends after dinner. Its a great conversation piece and to let people try something they prob will never have again in there life. Eh, i guess its the bling factor but im really ok with that. EnJoY it for what it is...a novelty.

Rogue has always been a KISS brewery for me. (keep it simple stupid)
Dead guy is a great solid maibock
shakespeare stout, yellow snow, hazelnut brown, mocha porter
Imperial youngers ESB is pretty decent.

Im actually a fan of the voodoo line. I split it with a couple friends after dinner. Its a great conversation piece and to let people try something they prob will never have again in there life. Eh, i guess its the bling factor but im really ok with that. EnJoY it for what it is...a novelty.

See to me the voodoo stuff is just crap, but to each their own. You can't say it isn't distinctive. The hazelnut brown is pretty darn good. The yellow snow is so close, but it's got all the hop bitter, fair hop flavor, but it's lacking the aroma. That would put it over the top.

Johnnyhitch1 said:
Its a great conversation piece and to let people try something they prob will never have again in there life. Eh, i guess its the bling factor but im really ok with that. EnJoY it for what it is...a novelty.

Couldn't agree with you more. A great conversation piece. I still hear about "That time we tried that bacon beer" from some of my newby craft enthusiast.

I tasted it on draught and was not impressed.

Where did you try it on tap? I always ask for it when I go to a different Rogue brewery and am always heard that they don't serve it on draught. I can't bring myself to pay 15 bucks for the bottle after all the bad reviews I have heard. I might spend 5 on a pint though....

might spend 5 on a pint though....

yeah, except they dont serve it on draught in most places. I forget where I was exactly, maybe the taphouse in the pearl district of Portland...? Yeah, I think they were serving it in a 12oz chalice and our friend ordered one and I tasted it off her glass when she said "this doesn't taste like bacon... or maple..." to see if she just had a tainted palette and maybe the beer was okay.

For $12-15 you really gotta think about it, honestly I think the hype is all about the bottle and the graphics on it. Rogue paid a pretty penny to get their glass coated and silk screened... I'm pretty sure that's why a Hazelnut Brown Nectar costs $6 when all the Mactarnahan's is only $1.99

Still looking for it? I have a couple bombers and neither myself or SWMBO were overly impressed. Might be interested in a trade of some kind

My wife and I had this for breakfast one morning with bacon and dougnuts dipped in hot maple syrup! It was fun, but I don't feel the need to do it again.

My wife and I got a bottle of this at the Rogue pearl district tap house. It was interesting. The guy at the bar said that they couldn't put it on tap because the residual bacon particulate kept clogging the tap system. They where only selling it by the bottle. Sounds a little funny now that I think about it. He sounded serious though.

Rogue didn't keg this beer. I think that the bottle is a key aspect of the whole concept and a crucial part of the collaboration. Good or bad? That's tough to judge. If it were light-struck, contaminated, or had some other technical flaw, that's pretty much the only thing that would make it bad. Does it delight your palate? Another question entirely. I thought it tasted like a bacon-maple doughnut. Four of us shared a bottle. We enjoyed it, but I wouldn't sit and drink a whole bottle by myself.

For me, it's fun. I think that's what the VooDoo beers are really about, just like some of the other extreme beers you see on the market.

This one falls into that category of either you really liked it or couldn't drink it. I was in the latter category... only Rogue I've ever dumped.

To me, the bacon was lost amidst the overabundant smoke, and the maple's aspects were a bit too medicinal. Burnt maple ashtray.

To be fair, while I like some smokey porters and stouts, extreme smoke like in a rauchbier does not appeal to me.

As someone mentioned before, though, its value as a novelty stands.

Back