Psychology of another person's homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to have the opposite view to many others on this thread when it comes to my own home brew, i find im super critical and that i find faults that others wouldn't even begin to notice. Most people are i try it on are pleasantly surprised and show quite a bit of interest. The exception is when it comes to a heavily hopped beer, thats a turn off for a lot of people.

delboy said:
I seem to have the opposite view to many others on this thread when it comes to my own home brew, i find im super critical and that i find faults that others wouldn't even begin to notice. Most people are i try it on are pleasantly surprised and show quite a bit of interest. The exception is when it comes to a heavily hopped beer, thats a turn off for a lot of people.
I'm exactly the same way. I made an oatmeal stout a while back that everyone loved but I couldn't get past a slight off-flavour caused by the fermentation temperature and it just killed my enjoyment of the beer. I have to really watch myself about that.

delboy said:

I meant to mention this, You're exactly right. I have yet to REALLY enjoy a beer I've brewed, and I've waxed 3 batches so far (one got dumped). I am intensly critical of my own beer, and find all faults in it when others seem to like it a lot.

delboy said:

Thats the same experience I've had also. Im the first one to pick out the faults but the non brewers all like my beers. Everyone has thier own tastes though, some like dark, some like hoppy and some can only pallete light fizzy beer. I brew them all and try to keep a good variety on tap so everybody can have what they like.

If I just had one beer on tap I'm sure there would be some that wouldn't like it...

My wife has basically begged me to let her bring some of my mocha stout to her friends, but I won't let her because I can't stand it. My ESB, for example, is too fruity and doesn't taste fresh enough, so unless dryhopping and time helsp solve the problem, no one but me will be allowed to touch it.

But, I also recognize when I have a really GOOD batch on hand, like Murder In The Red Barn and my Temptation red ale.

very rarely do I find that I am satisfied with my beer. While everyone is telling me how damn good it is, I am too busy looking for the flaws, and looking for a way i can improve it on the next batch.

that is of course until I get drunk, then I love it

srsly. when i am drunk i think i'm the greatest brewer in the world. it tastes like heaven when you're a little too drunk to see (or acknowledge) the flaws and you know you made it yourself :mug:

Some people like the flaws. Those people are resposible for making Heineken in the bottle so popular.

BTW: Commercial execs - "I don't wish my girlfriend stank like you."

I had my first taste of home brew last night at a new friends house. He had an IPA on tap, and it was one of, if not the, best beers I have ever had. I am a big fan of stone brewing IPA, and I would pick his over stone's any day.

:mug:

Being a lifelong devotee of the barley pop I already know if my beer is any good before anyone else tastes it. With that in mind, the guys I consume with are all good friends and if the brew in question tastes like a$$ they will let me know in no uncertain terms.

When I first told a particular one of my beersnob friends that I was making beer he replied that he had never had a homebrew that was worth drinking. He has since gotten faced on my APA, my stout, and my wheat, and is looking forward to the next two batches.

The best compliment I've gotten to date was from my neighbor (who is a big hoppy IPA fan) who upon having the first of many of my APA's stated "I would buy that".

when I brew a style I usually go buy a couple bottles of the same style to drink while brewing and compare to mine later. I pour a commercial and a Homebrew and then ask some seasoned friends to compare and pick which glass they like best. A simple blind taste test. You get pretty straight forward answers. I've had enough of my HB picked that I feel that my results are comparable to commercial brews and I'm still improving.
I have an beer store close by that carries over 500 worldwide beers of all styles which makes it really easy to be able to compare commercials to my HB.
I think that as beer enthusiasts we are our own biggest critics. My friends don't hold their beer in their mouths feeling/tasting/smelling it for microflaws like I do.

olllllo said:
Some people like the flaws. Those people are resposible for making Heineken in the bottle so popular.

That's less about seeking flaws than it is the same moronic psychology that forces a rage over a stupid laughing toy doll. That is worth about 10% of what people pay.

:cross:

Those folks that say they don't like beer... My simple response to them is that they haven't yet found the right beer. My fellow homebrewing buddies make beer, and decent beer at that, but I'm not convinced they understand why. What I have learned from brewing is why I like what I like, and subsequently what other people may like according to what they typically drink, BMC or whatever else.

Back