Oak Flavoring...without the barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkman1989

Reaction score
Hey all, got a question about oak flavoring... I was at my local wine/brew shop recently and noticed they had oak chips ?!? Apparently when added to your wine, it will take on a bit of a oak flavor, supposed to imitate the oak barrel aging process.

Has anyone experimented with this? The chips came either loose or a giant perforated tea looking bag.

happy brewing and or fermenting.. LOL. :mug:

Oak bits are a very common additive to wines and beers. Some come in cubes, some in chips, some in larger pieces. I'm not a fan of oak in beers as they're usually overdone to make the beer taste like whiskey, but they're pretty central to wine-making, I think.

A lot of the higher end wine kits have oak, if to style. I've used the cubes and powder for those. No experimentation as I was just following directions.

When you are done with the cubes you can use them to smoke some chicken or other foods.

Back