Shortest Lagering Time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FensterBos

Reaction score
I've fermented my first lager for three weeks, let is sit seven days at room temp. for the diacetyl rest, and then I transferred it to my keg to locker. At first I thought, "I'll probably be drinking this in two weeks." After some quick research it looks like this guy will be sitting in my mini fridge for about 4 to 8 weeks. It is a vienna-style lager like Negro Modelo that I wanted to have for Cinco de Mayo. But I am thinking that 2.5 weeks isn't going to be enough.

What was the shortest amount of time you lockered and how did your beer come out? Did you locker it in bottles or keg?

Most of my lagers are best at 4-6 weeks lagering. Lagering in the keg has the advantage of being easy to taste test.

I like to bottle my lagers after a week of lagering. They will carb in a week and then finish lagering in the bottle.

I did a light adjunct lager in about 5 weeks. Fermented for a couple weeks, bumped the temp up for a few days and crashed it in the primary for a couple weeks. Kegged and carb'd it for a couple days and started drinking.

I've also got a smoked Maibock that's about 6 months old sitting in a secondary waiting to be kegged.

You can drink them whenever you want, but they wont be "Ready". There is no way to really speed up the magic of the lagering or conditioning process. It might still be good at 2.5 weeks, but probably be better it 8. I was reading where the colder you lager it the longer it needs to go. So 35F was 8 weeks, and 45 was like 5-6 weeks. I think the lower and longer you go the better off youll be.

It depends on your lagering temp.

3 to 4 weeks at 45. 5 to 6 weeks at 40. 6 to 8 at 35. The stronger the beer, the longer it should be lagered. From How To Brew.

I am in no hurry on this patch especially since I made a batch of pale ale that I should be able to drink by next week. I just didn't think my keg was going to be occupied for so long until I started doing more research.

Re: Malticulous' comment about being able to taste-test - Once I start taste-testing one, I know I won't be able to stop. I'll probably try it on Cinco de Mayo; hopefully I can control myself.

Back