Keg Conditioning..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
Onced kegged, what is the best way to keep the keg to condition it.

Should i keg it, then pressurize it, bleed out the air, then put it back in my "fermentation closet" for a couple of weeks, then put it in the sanyo, and carb it up for a week... does that sound alright? or is there a better way that i am not thinking of...

*edit*
oops, posted in wrong forum.. if ya want mods, you can move it to kegging area.

If you are keg conditioning you're be adding primer at racking so you'll not need to carb it later. You'll only need to add CO2 to facilitate serving. (Minimal pressure)

You may need to add a little pressure after racking to help seal the lid but that's it.

He's just saying that you could prime and let it carbonate & condition at the same time. Conditioning takes time, period.

just to be clear, i would be ok just purging the air, and let it sit uncarbonated at room temp to let condition?

If you plan on force carbonating the beer either would do - I usually age out kegs fully carbonated. I keg them, force them then let them sit in the cellar. However, I think we are having wording confusion here. If you force carbonate then age the keg, you are just aging it. I don't know of much benefit to simply blowing off some headspace, aging, then force carbonating the brew when you want to drink it. Depending on the method of force carbonation, it can take weeks to fully carbonate anyway.

What Orfy was getting at is that if you aren't planning on force carbonating the keg for drinking, why not prime it with DME or sugar, blow off the airspace with a few blasts of low-pressured CO2, then age it out. That way the beer is carbonating itself (ie keg conditioning) as it ages. Then, when you serve the beer you just have it on the CO2 just to maintain the natural carbonation and push the beer out the taps.

Keg conditioning = priming sugar/extract used (ageing along the way)

Force carbonation = well....forcing CO2 in with pressure (aging not required, but still very beneficial)

ok, cleared that up for me.. thanks. I guess the confusion was that i was told by someone that brewers dont age their beer, they condition it. I think it was Fritz Maytag that said it..

aekdbbop said:
ok, cleared that up for me.. thanks. I guess the confusion was that i was told by someone that brewers dont age their beer, they condition it. I think it was Fritz Maytag that said it..
I'm still battling with having enough beer in the pipeline to always age the beer. I don't really like touching much of anything for a month in the kegs, double that in bottles. Once the taps run dry though, I'm not opposed to calling up a minor leager. :D

orfy said:
Go on. You know you want to. Be a beer snob and drink "Real Ale"
Howabout Real Chunky Ale? :cross:

Back