Why do we put the airlock on the top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerotBrewer

Reaction score
I've been looking at my ale pails and thinking about airlock placement.

If I could jury rig a way to connect an airlock into the top of the side of the pail, why wouldn't I? This way I could stack 2+ fermenters in the same footprint, with the airlocks coming out the side on a 90 degree angle.

Is this something others have thought of and discarded for some as of yet unrealized negative reason?

If you do put it on the side, you would have to be more careful you wouldn't be blowing kreusen out through it though, other than that, it seems like a great idea. You could stack fermenters like 3-4 high. If I were to do that, I could fit like 12 beers in my closet at once...

Could be interesting

Yeah, no problems with placing the airlock on the side as long as you get it turned back upright. The only thing I'd be wary about is making sure the top of your pail doesn't get deformed by the 5 gallons of brew sitting on top of it.

Could you just put a stool or table over the bottom fermenter with an inch to space so that you can slide it out, and then place the 2nd fermenter on the stool or table? Then you don't have to have another penetration point in your fermenters. If you have a lip on the covers then it is not likely that microbes will be able to enter your fermenters.

I think this is a very creative concept. The additional penetration of the fermenter would be the only downside that I can think of, but with proper sanitation care it should not be a problem.

I'd be worried about damaging the lid on the lower bucket.

They aren't always designed to hold 50lbs. I recall some primary buckets made this year that lacked the reinforcing bars on the bottom. Tons were sold and people would set a full bucket down and the bottom would pop right off!

that'd be the only area of concern...that and knocking the top one over when I'm a drunk idiot :)

I'd be worried about damaging the lid on the lower bucket.

They aren't always designed to hold 50lbs. I recall some primary buckets made this year that lacked the reinforcing bars on the bottom. Tons were sold and people would set a full bucket down and the bottom would pop right off!

that'd be the only area of concern...that and knocking the top one over when I'm a drunk idiot :)

One could easily place a piece of plywood or something similar on top of the lower bucket in order to span the lid and avoid possibly damaging it. I highly doubt that the bottom of the bucket would be damaged, but the lid might be.

If your airlock is directly in the center of the lid, you should be able to make an offset stack. Each bucket on the 2nd row would be stacked on the edges of the two buckets below it. Think of the way bowling pins are set up.

..U U U U U
.U U U U U U

sounds solid to me, maybe add a grate/board or something to put the weight on the sides of the container instead of the less supported lid.

How many fermentors do you run at a time!

Well for now I usually have 2, but I'm looking to do more and get a solid pipeline going. Plus if I want to bulk age for a month or so, like with a barleywine, I would also need more. I like the idea of some sort of shelving system too.

I'll see what I can rig up next time I'm at the hardware store and will update everyone when I have something worked out.

I have six now and figure I will probably have 8-10 eventually when I start doing a couple of wine of appflewien or extended aging brews (but I want to age in kegs too). I was thinking maybe a cabinet with doors to keep light out?

Back