The act of making mead???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dummkauf

Reaction score
Ok, so when I make beer, I am brewing.

When I make mead, I am ????????

Meading???
Musting???
Making Mead???
Making must???

Is there a term for the act of making mead, or is it just called brewing too?

I knew there had to be a word for it!!! Thank you!

Now where does the term "mazer" come from? Looking at it, i would think it has something to do with corn, but that can't be right.

I knew there had to be a word for it!!! Thank you!

Now where does the term "mazer" come from? Looking at it, i would think it has something to do with corn, but that can't be right.

I have no idea....hell, my title should be hack-mazer :D

Maybe some of the real mazer types will weigh in...

The term mazer refers to a wooden drinking bowl - (see wikipedia) typical of the Medieval era. They were not specific to mead.

The book "Wassail in Mazers of Mead" written by Lt. Colonel Robert Gayre in 1948 (and reworked and published later with Charlie Papazian) probably is responsible for the term Mazer being applied to mead makers. The Mazer Cup mead competition probably also is a factor. Historically the term Mazer was never used to describe mead makers.

Personally, I don't mind the slang term Mazer. I will sometimes also throw in the term Mazing which is also not a historical (or accurate) term. Some people prefer to call themselves "mead makers" is a fashion similar to "wine makers." I generally don't call it "brewing" mead anymore because I virtually never heat any musts.

Ok, so when I make beer, I am brewing.

When I make mead, I am ????????

Meading???
Musting???
Making Mead???
Making must???

Is there a term for the act of making mead, or is it just called brewing too?

I have always used the term "mazer" as it sets me apart from those who brew beer. Now that I have started making cider, that is a whole different title? I always thought that the title "mazer" was the person, not the actual act of making mead. Sometimes it is just easier to say "I make mead" and then go from there.

Goodness. How do you feel about metheglins, then?

An alternate and more historically-based option might be meathier (from "meath" or "meathe," both documented as in use).

It's all semantic gymnastics anyway.

Winemakers are referred to as Vintners. Beer makers are Brewers.
Mead Makers might be vintners also, if you allow mead as a type of wine.
I like Mazer, and I like mazer (the wooden vessel). Together seems appropriate.
But if a mead making place is a meadery, and a bakery is a bread making place, brewery is a beer making place, then perhaps a MEADER is a mead maker?

Back