Do not be afraid young grasshopper..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewVol

Reaction score
I am writing this in response to those brewers new to the game who seem terrified of doing AG.

Let me first disclose that I've never done an extract batch, and jumped in the deep end with AG, at the insistence of a fellow brewer.

Extract batches seem like a very natural jumping off point, and I can't argue that you'll learn some of the tips and tricks with the aid of knowing that you at least haven't screwed the pooch on the mashing. That being said, I get the sense that people have the belief that AG is only for the experts, and shouldn't be attempted until you've made many many extract batches. I know that when I first started researching brewing, AG certainly seemed like the big leagues while extract brewing was the minors. The jargon with AG is more intense, and the complication just seems way out there. Some of this is true, but I'm here to tell you that with just a little bit more work and patience, AG is not nearly the beast you probably think it is.

I'm not saying that AG is easy, by any means, I just don't think the disparity in difficulty is as large as newbs may think it is. The number one piece of advice i've taken from this forum is to relax. Let me repeat that again, relax. I've made around 8 batches at this point, and trust me, and the rest of us, it is extremely difficult to really screw up a batch. I read countless threads about fermentation not starting, worries about color, and other little peccadilloes that instead of inciting panic, should be viewed as the natural variance of brewing. This isn't to say you shouldn't bring your questions to the forum, that's what it is here for. Nevertheless, don't start rocking in the corner over the fact that your OG was supposed to be 1.056 and you calculated 1.053. If you do miss and OG, think about your process, and consider why you might have missed it. Then your next brew will be much more informed. Nobody should expect their first couple of brews to be perfect, that just a set up for disappointment. I got to my 3rd, before I really became confident, which is natural for a new hobby. You wouldn't expect a guy who picks up golf clubs for the first time at age 25 to be a scratch golfer?

Remember, this is supposed to be a hobby, not a prison sentence. Now to go back to my original point: I really think that if people would relax just a bit, they'd be much more likely to jump into AG brewing. I've watched a guy do an extract batch, and I gotta tell you, AG is just more FUN. That's right, it's FUN. I know that may be hard for some of you to believe, but having that much control over your beer is just a good feeling.

Sure, AG may take a bit more equipment (I personally use the coleman cooler mash tun) but you probably don't need all that you think you need. If you want to make that jump, DO IT! You'll thank me later. In the end my message is simple, and certainly not an original one, RDWHAHB!

I went AG after a year of extract. I am not looking back. I just didn't feel like to make the jump. It is so easy.

I just started brewing with extract a while ago, did a partial mash last weekend, if the beers turn out great I'll stick with the partial mashes for a while. I want to understand the chemistry more a little bit before I dive into all grain.

I know I could do all grain, just by following directions, but I want to understand it first. At least a decent understanding, I know I'll under learn more by doing.

Also need to prove to SWMBO that I can brew quality beer before I spend more on this "hoppy" - after all i convinced her this would save us money..... oops

I'm afraid............ will you hold my hand. ;) lol..

I want to go all out but with a move coming up and really not knowing enough will keep me in the extract arena for a bit. :( But I'm learning here everyday :D

I found i was less worried about bad batches with all grain... Local lhbs with good prices was ~$40/5 gal batch vs 20/batch ag. Only took me one batch to go all grain via Brew in a bag.... I will teach all my new brewer friends this method. Much less painful on the wallet if you do screw up, and really it is hard to make undrinkable beer. Early problems likely will be the same with extract or BIAB. Sanitation or *insert your screwup here* mostly post boil.

Good recipe (easy to find)
Temp control (little harder, but still cheap n easy)
two pots. so easy a cave man can do it.

I have done partial mashes with just one extract only because the LHBS said they don't carry wheat because they don't like wheat beers. But other than that I have followed deathbrewers method and the beers have turned out excellent so far.

I only started brewing 9 months ago, did two kits, followed by 6 extracts and I did my first AG in March. As you say the difference in difficulty is not insurmountable and the enjoyment you get from AG brewing is great. However I would say that there is nothing wrong with extract brewing (I have made some great beers with extract) and in fact since March I have been switching between extract and all Grain, it just depends how much time I have for a brew.

As The hitchhikers guide says "DON'T PANIC"

Putting on my contrarian hat . . . :)

I think for many new brewers, there is great value in focusing not on equipment, mashing, sparging, etc and instead paying attention to where much of the real action is - making your yeast happy and healthy, controlling temps, sanitation. Obviously, you can focus on all of it right from the start, but for some of us, extract/steeping brewing really helped us get off to a good start by learning good brewing habits and practices.

Plus, extract brewing can produce some fine beers :)

Couldn't agree more about this. In fact, I wrote a similar post a while ago 1st All Grain. That was easy...

For me (and I hope I don't get stoned here), I waited until I was confident that I wanted to continue this as a regular hobby. Once the novelty of it all wore off and I was convinced that I would do this for the long term, then I made the upgrade to AG. I've never looked back. So much better end product (IMO) and as the OP states, it is a lot more fun.

My fourth brew was AG using a picnic cooler mash/lauter tun, and I don't think I'll go back to purely extract brewing. It's a lot of fun and I think the smell of mashing grain is amazing.

I recently just finished my first boil and am now on the fermenting stage, and for me I am doing extract brewing first for a couple of reasons.
1) I really didn't know what I was getting into... I read a lot and researched a lot, but I do not know a single person who brews their own beer.
2) I want to get the process down with, from my research, is the easier method. I don't want to be fumbling around with stuff and looking at recipes and how long do I boil and such.
3) Well, I believe in working up. You don't put on full pads your first day of football practice.

This being said, I look forward to the day my hobby grows to the top level of AG brewing. Until then, I'll pray for beer that tastes better than Keystone. (not that I'm talking bad about Keystone, but I mean it's cheap beer... or expensive water)

Ok, I'm a "newbie" but....

I think I did 5 extract batches before I did my first AG just a couple of weeks ago.

I felt as if I were taking shortcuts with the extract that could potentially contribute to an inferior final product. Being new to homebrewing I have no real justification for that mindset, and by no means am I implying one is better than the other. It's just how *I* felt about it with what little I know.

Kind of like lasagna Hamburger Helper vs. homemade lasagna... I don't know why they call this stuff hamburger helper. It does just fine by itself, huh?

Anyway, I'm glad I made the switch (yes, after just one AG batch) and if any other extract brewers are apprehensive about going to AG I'd recommend you hang out with an AG brewer on a brew day if you can.

The Beer Gods and LHBS willing, I'm going to do my 2nd and 3rd AG this weekend! :rockin:

I wouldn't even call it a "jump" to all-grain. It's more like a "step". Actually its a couple steps added on to the front end of your brew. Simple but terrifying if all you've done is read through the steps.

I remember reading about all-grain and being confused to no end (as an extract brewer). I watched a video somewhere on here and thought "wow, that is all there is to it?" ....... that is "all-grain"

So anyone who is terrified of "making the leap" to all-grain. Find a video on here or youtube, find a cooler, and go for it.

I believe that there is no one way for everyone. Some people will just "get it" and start with AG no problem. Others, will find Extract brewing to be a rewarding experience in itself and a nice learning step to boot.

Frankly, unless I felt confident that the person understood all about AG and mashing, I'd recommend at least doing 1-2 extract batches. There is a lot to handle just in moving liquids along, and growing happy yeast. Adding the additional stress of having to understand the mash process is going to be too much for some beginners.

But after a batch or two, or a few, most people should be able to grasp the basic concepts of mashing and if they are so interested, should just go for it. I think that most will find it's not as difficult as they imagined. It mostly has to do with the right amount of grain and the right amount of water, at the right temperature. Most of the time this information is in the recipe anyway. The biggest thing is building or buying the Mash Tun and a kettle big enough.

I just did my first batch and it was a partial mash. Guess i'm half way there? :D I'm really into DIY stuff so i will probably dive right into making the other equipment i'll need and get it going right when my 1st batch is ready to bottle.

I've brewed 3 batches so far, I have 2 extract kits waiting to brew but on impulse last weekend I went to the hardware store, got a bunch of fittings and hose braid and a cooler and made my cooler MLT. So now of course I'm itching to brew with it. Plus I've got a bunch of hops waiting to be used.

I'm still a bit nervous about AG, but I'm gonna make the transition, damn it! If for no other reason than to lower my cost per batch.

I'm actually over zealous about going from extract to AG. I was ready in heart and mind before I even kegged my first batch.

Problem was, I just started and I went all out. I bought a kegging system (4 kegs) chest freezer, BK, wort chiller, burner, filter kit, all the fun tools and tubings.... all before I even brewed once, and the wife is a bit miffed. I was smart enough to get stuff sent to work instead of home, but she noticed when my brewery was assembled in the basement. Kinda hard to explain all that once it all down there....

Another problem is, I don't know anyone else that does this. Extract brewing is very easy and fun. I would love the freedom to truly craft my own beer the AG way, but I don't have anyone to look over my shoulder and tell me what I'm doing right and/or wrong.

Right now, the biggest stumbling block is if I want some...well you know.... I gotta tone down the spending on beer brewing parts. Which means extract and partials until I get her loving the beer enough to OK my spending :)

Rough life isn't it lol. Once my girl friend found out I bought a bunch of brewing equipment she was like what?? You will spend money on this, but complain about taking me out for dinner some nights. Then she said if I want a beer I'll buy one... So I guess she can have her bud light and I will have my delicious home brewed American Amber Ale... That is if it turns out as it should. As for the actual topic at hand, I too am weary of going AG simply because I do not know anyone who does this either. I believe people when they say it is simple, and if had the equipment and someone to coach my I'd be fine. I just don't want to screw something up and then a month later taste ****ty beer.

I too am an extract brewer weary of going all grain. It seems that I simply don't have the room to do so without doing the "brew in a bag" method. I'm going to go all grain eventually, but as of right now I'm really happy with my extract batches.

If cost is a problem for the significant other, consider that extract brewing can cost twice as much as AG. (Extract kit vs. Bulk purchase AG)

There is always concern about making crap beer, but if you understand when you need perfect sanitation, and follow that, then you are not likely to make crap beer. If you also understand how important it is to keep your fermentation temps where they should be then you are very likely to make very good beer. If you also get the proper mix of ingredients and cook them just right, you are almost certainly going to make great beer.

Two of the three are identically essential for either extract or AG. The other is only slightly harder for one method.

Let's say you want to make an AG batch. Get Beersmith, or a recipe from some source, and buy the grains listed for that recipe. You can get them pre-crushed, or if you have a crusher, uncrushed and crush them at home.

Place the grains and the proper amount of water, at the proper temp (usually 150-156), into your Mash Tun (MLT), stir it up, and then let it sit for an hour.

Pour a quart or two out through the spigot into a vessel, until it starts to run clear, then move the hose into the boil kettle. Carefully pour the wort collected in the small vessel back into the top of the MLT so as to not disturb the grain bed.

When the MLT is drained, add some more water at about 170F and stir it up again. Repeat the drain procedure after about 10 minutes. This rinses the sugars from the grain.

Some people rinse twice.

That's it. Now you have wort in the boil kettle, ready to boil and add hops. The trick is knowing how much grain and water and of course what temp the water has to be to get the mash temp, because it will lose a few degrees when you put it in the MLT and mix with grain. Beersmith will calculate this for you, or you can do it on paper.

This method is called Batch Sparging, and is somewhat easier to start with. Fly sparging is similar, but requires you to add water carefully into the MLT while draining, so that the level of water above the grains stays constant. With the right equipment and experience, many people think it's easier than batch sparging.

Honestly I'm really glad I started in extract brewing with kits and I don't think the new folks here should feel pressured to skip this part of the learning process by threads like this one. Posting this in the "beginners forum" is like telling people that riding a bike isn't really that hard so they should skip learning to crawl and walk. ;)

There are a ton of great reasons why people should start simple. Lower startup cost, lower initial learning curve, less work on brew day, etc. Not to mention less risk of mistakes in early batches leads to higher chance of tasty beer and thus higher chance of continuing this fantastic hobby. So I totally understand why almost any LBHS or experienced brewer recommends that people start with extract. People can always move on to more complicated things when they're ready, but if you overwhelm them to start out they're not nearly as likely to stick with it imho :mug:

Back