Raising temp after ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iXanadu

Reaction score
For the first time since the summer temps hit us, I think I've controlled my fermentation temperatures. TY to all the folks that posted notes and plans on swamp coolers and the like.

I've held cooler and wort temperatures to 63-67 for the entire fermentation time, and have reached my final gravity - should I raise the temps to low - mid 70's to aid the yeast in their clean up?

You can safely bring it up now that fermentation is done.

You can safely bring it up now that fermentation is done.

TY for the quick reply. Let me ask a different question - more to the point of what I'm looking for.

Will the beer benefit from rest in the mid 70's?

Obviously I'm not lagering, but by keeping the beer at the low end of the fermentation range, do I run the risk of diacetyl and benefit from a diacetyl rest?

You can, but there really isn't any reason to. I keep my ales at fermentation temperature until they are bottled or kegged. Unless you've got a finicky yeast that produces diacteyl (like ringwood), I wouldn't raise the temperature. If it's at fermentation temperatures, it'll clean up just fine. Keeping it at the cool end of fermentation ranges will also reduce risk of autolysis, if you're planning on an extended primary.

Not that autolysis is really an issue, but it seems less likely at cooler temperatures from my experiences.

Yeah, agreed, there's no reason to bring it up to higher than ambient temperature. I assumed you were asking if you could stop making an effort to keep it lower than room temperature now that it's done fermenting.

Back