Drinking Water Safe Hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brutus Brewer

Reaction score
I recently purchased a drinking water safe hose from Wal Mart to use in my brewing set up I drank some water from the hose prior to using it and didn't taste any of the hose so I went with it. My first batch will be ready to drink soon and am curious if anyone else has used a hose like this for brewing?

I will only use them during brewing and filling my grandsons little pool. Just too much crap literally with 2 dogs on the regular garden hose. Blue one is a Swan brand the other one I bought many years ago for the trailer ... I am using the chiller to heat the kiddie pool . Only kid in the neighborhood with 86° pool water :D

pot.JPG

Is there any need for SS fittings? I found this website selling the drinking water hoses with either brass or SS fittings.

Eric

If it's the blue 25' hose that Wal-Mart sells, I bought 2 of them. Within ten minutes of connecting one of them to an outside faucet, I had a major malfunction (blowout). What a piece of s***. It actually claimed to have a 7 year warranty. What a laugh. I took it back.

If it's the blue 25' hose that Wal-Mart sells, I bought 2 of them. Within ten minutes of connecting one of them to an outside faucet, I had a major malfunction (blowout). What a piece of s***. It actually claimed to have a 7 year warranty. What a laugh. I took it back.

I have had the Swan blue hose since last summer . The white one about 10 years . The white Camco brand hose is much sturdier than the Swan . How high is your water pressure ? You may have gotten a bad one .

both are fine.I have found the white one made for Rv's are heavier duty .The blue ones seem to twist and kink a lot more.

Edit: Just as I thought I looked at the specs and the white is 4 ply and the blue is 3 ply.

I also use one of the white ones, got it from the RV/camping store.

Wish I could have some of that cold ground water, ours is about 80 in the summer and 75 in January.

~r~

My tap water is running in the 50's right now. It comes from the Hudson river soon it will be in the 40's when the river ices up.

Anyone NOT using a drinking water safe hose? I recently ordered an inline RV water filter and was planning on putting it on the end of my existing hose, assuming it will filter out any flavor the hose imparts on the water (along with the chlorine, which is my main reason), and since it will be the last thing on the hose, there won't be any hose contact on the clean water. Your thoughts?

Anyone NOT using a drinking water safe hose? I recently ordered an inline RV water filter and was planning on putting it on the end of my existing hose, assuming it will filter out any flavor the hose imparts on the water (along with the chlorine, which is my main reason), and since it will be the last thing on the hose, there won't be any hose contact on the clean water. Your thoughts?

It may or may not remove any off flavors contributed by the garden hose. I wouldn't chance it. The potable water hoses aren't expensive and then you won't have to worry about it. When using a filter, run the water relatively slowly to give the filter time to do it's job.

The thing is that any hose is rubber of some sort. If it's potable water safe, it's lead free. However, it says nothing about whether the water coming out will have plastic/rubber flavors. I can swear I taste something funny in my RV hose water.

Bobby,

I think the RV hoses are actually a plastic of some kind and technically not really rubber. When they are brand new the RV potable water hoses may give off some minor amounts of something you can detect, but after running some water through them I can't taste or smell anything. These hoses are commonly used by almost all of my brewing friends and I haven't heard anyone mention a problem with them. I've been using them for a long time without issues on both sides of the carbon cannister filter. Most of us expose our water and beer to a lot of plastic in the brewing process. It's difficult to avoid plastic exposure entirely with the cooler mash tuns, vinyl hoses, plastic spoons, racking canes, plastic fermentation buckets etc., etc. Yes, the potable water hoses are supposed to be certified "safe", although I would think the manufacturers would also tend to design them so that they don't affect the flavor of the water also. Seems if there was a problem due to the hoses that it would surface in competitions. So far, for me, it hasn't been an issue.

I ran by Lowes at lunch to look at their RV/Drinking Water Safe Hoses. Since all the Holiday stuff is there now, the pickings were thing. I found the same 25' white hose Julohan did...
and like he said, it's made from "Medical Grade Vinyl."

I read the packaging on the other hoses they had in stock and they said things like:

"contains a substance known to cause cancer in the state of California" (good think I'm not in CA... I know, old joke)

"contains lead"

"Interior of hose is dark and moist and can harbor microorganisms" (or something like that... the dark and moist were actually in the text).

They all said "do not drink from this hose," except the one I purchased (as ref'd above), of course.

Back