How much are stainless 55gal drums worth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Short of nuclear waste that sounds like a pretty good score - you can always clean, clean, clean Stainless.

I dont really have a use for them, I saw them on craigslist and thought that price seemed a bit low given what stainless things normally cost.

Let me see...

A 1.5 bbl brew system for $75...

I say pull the trigger!

Now you need to find something to convert into a fermenter that big.

Are you sure they are stainless? Not just steel. Steel 55 gal. drums are worth maybe $25 each used.

Forrest

Barrel construction would be suspect if you want to use for a boil kettle. Most barrels use a plastic seal between the sides and bottom, which is then roll crimped in place. I would hate to have a 40 gallon boil going and have that seal melt or deform. They would make great HLT/MLT though.

Barrel construction would be suspect if you want to use for a boil kettle. Most barrels use a plastic seal between the sides and bottom, which is then roll crimped in place. I would hate to have a 40 gallon boil going and have that seal melt or deform. They would make great HLT/MLT though.

True, but at that price, you could take it apart, rip the seal out, and have a welder put the bottom back in. If they are for sure stainless, you HAVE to buy them.

I didnt go look to see if they were stainless, but thats wha his add says.

edit: I just went and looked and someone snagged them already, I bet they were and now there gonna scrap them. I think the place in town give about 1.50 to 2.00 a pound.

Regular food grade steel drums go for $10-15 around here. Bunch of places are selling them who had a bag inside the drum with either juice, tomato sauce or peanut oil in them. Perfect if you want to built a smoker but not sure about the fermenter thing

Old thread, I know... Anyone ever think about having one of these powdercoated? I believe they have high temp, food grade materials available. Weld out the botom to seal it and boom, 55gal MT, HLT or BK. Even fermenters. For about $25 locally on craigslist, plus powdercoating and free welding (I know a guy), I think I'd be looking at under $100 a pop. Maybe more if I coat the outside of it as well.

I'm not sure about the powder coating (might work) but welding the bottom seal makes me nervous. If you have a welded "void" it will expand when heated and possibly burst. You need an escape hole somewhere for the expanding air to go.

Back