What's up Soda People - Write for HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin4

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Summer is headed our way and I would love to publish articles to our front page about soda.

I drink a ton in the summer and will be chronicling my experiments here, but I would love to see some howto's, experiments, etc, from you guys.

Anyone interested?

Agreed, would love to see more of what people are doing beyond extracts, it's a fun way to include the kids.

I have two solid recipes, one of which has been a big hit here, that I would love to share. I also have some videos on my YouTube channel I could share on how to brew, clean, and sanitize. Not sure what you're looking for exactly. I do plan to update those videos too at some time.

All the soda recipes I make are from roots, barks, essential oils, Etc, the real good stuff, I'd be happy to share my experiences on my way to brew the perfect Root Beer and Ginger Beer!

All the soda recipes I make are from roots, barks, essential oils, Etc, the real good stuff, I'd be happy to share my experiences on my way to brew the perfect Root Beer and Ginger Beer!

Same here. Thats the way to do it. Do you use the essential oils in your root beer? What do you use? I've never heard of that before.

Here we go....

OX1Ac.gif

Please share. I did the Alton Brown ginger ale that turned out good, and I was contemplating keging that recipe since I'm guessing it doesn't get into the seals the way root beer does.

Same here. Thats the way to do it. Do you use the essential oils in your root beer? What do you use? I've never heard of that before.

I tried making rootbeer once with roots.

1) it was SO expensive, so where are you getting the ingredients to make it worth it?

2). It was a recipe I followed from on line. It was DISGUSTING and a total waste of money. Funny thing is the reviews were good. But this stuff was not good at all. So I'd like to learn about this. I try to avoid soda, but having rootbeer on occasion for the kids in our family and our up coming wedding would be great.

It's surprising how little info there is about actual non extract rootbeer recipes on line.

Here we go....

Uh... I live in Oregon. I don't think I ever hear anyone call it "pop" with out getting looked at funny. Soda or Coke is what is used here.

Can someone from the Red section explain how ordering a soda other than coke works?

"What do you have for cokes?" to see if they have root beer?

Can someone from the Red section explain how ordering a soda other than coke works?

You order a coke, they serve Pepsi and say, "we serve Pepsi, is that ok?" Then you reply back, "No, I'll have Dr. pepper instead"

Yeah, my grandparents are snowbirds, apparently you order a coke and they ask you "what kind?"

Then you say "Mountain Dew" (or whatever kind you want).

Ah, southern folks.

What is this, so-dah?

It's the sweet fizzy stuff that you use to dilute cheap whiskey.

Yeah, my grandparents are snowbirds, apparently you order a coke and they ask you "what kind?"

Then you say "Mountain Dew" (or whatever kind you want).

That sort of thing was really prevalent when I was a kid, but I can't remember the last time I witnessed a conversation like that in a restaurant or commercial establishment. If I order a "coke", I'm going to either get a Coca-Cola, or "Sorry, we have Pepsi, is that okay?" (No, no it isn't okay. And bless you for asking me that.)

However, if I'm in someone's home and they make the offer "would you like some coke?" a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶a̶y̶ ̶"̶y̶e̶a̶h̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶u̶m̶p̶"̶ and I say "yes, with a side of diabeetus please", it's common to ask "what kind, we have Coke, Dr. Pepper, Sprite...." for clarification.

I do soda or pop depending on the company I'm with. For around here it's pop. (Short for "soda pop").

I had a nice ginger pop recipe I brewed for the kid's graduation party. That and the cheap root beer extract went over pretty nicely. I think the kids just liked pouring from the "tap", to be honest, though...

I'd love a write up on how to make Hop Soda. I like the canned stuff, but IMO it needs to be slightly less sweet and lots more hoppy.

I'd love to find a way to make a diet ginger ale. That's currently what the wife is drinking due to all of the breast feeding. I'm sure she'd love to go to the keezer and pour a glass.

I use Sweet birch bark essential oil, only a tiny bit though, very potent stuff I don't have wintergreen available to me where I live so I use birch instead. I also use cassia cinnamon oil, a tiny amount as well, I would also add pimento and basalm of peru oil in if I had them.

1) it was SO expensive, so where are you getting the ingredients to make it worth it?

2). It was a recipe I followed from on line. It was DISGUSTING and a total waste of money. Funny thing is the reviews were good. But this stuff was not good at all. So I'd like to learn about this. I try to avoid soda, but having rootbeer on occasion for the kids in our family and our up coming wedding would be great.

It's surprising how little info there is about actual non extract rootbeer recipes on line.

Uh... I live in Oregon. I don't think I ever hear anyone call it "pop" with out getting looked at funny. Soda or Coke is what is used here.

Aye Mate I ran into the same problem and I've been there, the key is to use a tiny amount for a gallon, and to add in spices such as Cloves, pimento berries, and a big key one is Star Anise. Molasses is a key thing to add, I'm currently thought ridden on whether to use organic cane sugar or brown sugar, last time I used brown sugar it came out with a bit of irony taste, this might of been caused because I used a little bit too much molasses but I'm willing to give it ago again.

"expensive" kind of depends on what you're getting and how much you can or are willing to spend. It can be expensive, that's for sure. But consider this, prime rib is expensive, a fine cigar can be expensive, other things we consume for food (especially healthy) can be expensive, and all the "crap" we buy is cheap. Their are reasons for why that is. ;)

I dont know what recipe you tried, but I can tell you, when I first started, I tried a few recipes and some were quite bad. But I kept at it. I now have two of my own recipes that are solid and their is evidence of many people in this forum who have enjoyed it greatly. If you still want to give it a shot, I would love to share my recipe with you to try out and see if you like it. That's what we're hear for brother.:tank:

There is little info. It's kind of one of those things that not everyone is doing. But it kind of makes it "special" that way too. Im no expert, and Im not all that great to see on camera, but I do have some YouTube videos that might help you out a little bit. There is a book I bought when I started to get some ideas from called, "Root Beer, Soda, and Pop". You might wan't to look into getting a copy. With all of that said, I can say that my best resource has been this forum. Great community willing to help (though it may not always be instant) and share.:D

Hey CrazyM8, Could you post your youtube channel here? I'd love to see some of your videos on soda brewing!

Most of it is ham radio stuff but the root beer vids are still there. I am going through a conversion, separating videos of my other hobbies onto a new channel. I am also partnering up with a few people who have offered their services to help me out with making new and better videos. Here is my current channel where you can find the brewing stuff. Not the best, but they work. :)

Anything I publish has to be unique to HBT, so really I'm looking for cool soda brewing stories, techniques and recipes.

Anything I publish has to be unique to HBT, so really I'm looking for cool soda brewing stories, techniques and recipes.

Well, I would love to provide one of my recipes and a story... First, the recipe.

MAKES 5 GALLONS
20 Qts Water
60 oz. Honey
10 Star Anise (TRY WITHOUT)
5/8 tsp. Salt
5/8 cp. Sarsaparilla
5/8 cp. Sassafras
5 cp. Pure Cane Sugar (Stick to light brown sugar)
2 1/2 cp Vanilla Flavoring
5/8 cp. Chopped Raisins
5/8 tsp. Nutmeg
1/8 tsp. Champagne Yeast (per gallon)
7 oz. Maltodextrine

Instructions:
1. If using a 12qt pot and making a 3gal (12qt) batch, put in 8qts of water into the pot. Always use only a fraction of the total water, as to leave a portion left for cooling the batch down with.
2. While water is heating up, place all ingredients into pot (either directly or inside a brew bag) except brown sugar and honey.
3. Lightly boil/simmer for 30 minutes.
4. After 30 minutes, stir in the Maltodextrine.
5. After stirring in the Maltodextrine is added, let 15 minutes pass then add the brown sugar and honey.
5a. Take off heat. Continue to stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
6. In your Ale Pail, or similar 5gal bucket, fill with 1gal of fresh cold water and pour the warm brew through a fine mesh funnel, into the Ale Pail.
- If bottling
a. Once target temp has been reached fill each of the bottles.
NOTE: Target temp is important since yeast will die at anything hotter than 95 degrees. Temps 60-95 degrees is acceptable, but I try to go no higher than 75. I like to play it safe.
b. Measure out (or sprinkle) the amount of yeast needed for each bottle. Cap and let sit until carbonated to desired amount.
NOTE: I have measured this a couple ways and think I will get a small scale to do it now. I have taken a 1/8tsp of yeast and divided it 8 ways (since I have 16oz bottles and 1gal/16oz=8). I have also done the light sprinkling method. Both of which have worked for the most part but I am sure there is a much more accurate way of measuring such a small amount.
- If putting into 1 gallon carboys
c. Pour liquid into jug
d. Once jug has been filled to the appropriate level, add 1/8 tsp. champagne yeast
6. Let sit for 3 days then put into fridge for another 3 days to chill and slow down yeast activity.
NOTE: One option would be to pasteurize the bottles after 3 days, assuming they have peak carbonation after 3 days. Let sit longer if needed.
Pasteurization: is done by bringing water to a temp of 160 degrees F and placing the finished carbonated product into the water. Once placed into the water, put a lid over the pot and let sit for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, take bottled product out of the pot and let cool. Repeat as needed.
7. ENJOY :)

FINAL THOUGHTS:
1. I have noticed that most of my brew takes 3 days to carbonate to the perfect amount.
2. When I make my (big) batches I try to use at least one, usually two, 2 liter bottles with some of my root beer in them. This way I can feel the bottles tighten up when they are carbonating. This allows me to use them as a gauge of sorts on the level of carbonation inside the bottles. When they become almost impossible to squeeze on the top dome part of the bottles, I call it done.
3. 2 liter bottles will use about 1/16tsp of yeast each.
4. Take a lesson learned from me, DO NOT brew late at night and double the quantities of yeast (accidentally of course) in your carboys. You will end up waking up to 1 gallon bottle bombs. Not pleasant. ;)

Story time:
One late evening (about 12:00 am) I decided that it would be a great idea to make some root beer, despite how tired I was. I went through my whole process and then go to the point of adding the yeast. I added the yeast, shook the bottles up as I do to make sure my biceps stay in tip top shape, then put everything in a cupboard.

About 3:00am rolls around and I wake up to my wife shaking me saying she heard a boom and something that sounded like glass. I think she initially thought a bad man came to visit our home uninvited. I got out of bed, crazy tired I might add, and saw my oldest step son heading towards our kitchen. I already assumed my worst nightmare when I saw the mess that lay on the floor. I had precious sticky brew puddled on the floor. I open the cupboard, already heart broken on what I will see. Sure enough glass everywhere. There was a few big pieces and what seemed like millions of much smaller pieces.

Well, this cant stay like this until later on in the morning, so I began to clean. There were even pieces of glass that would have made some horrible slivers if you touched them wrong. Thankfully I came out unscathed. We have a crack in the basement ceiling which has been their since we moved in (5 years ago) that now has a wonderful light brown tint to it as a reminder of this tragic event. I was working on a new recipe that day and if I decide to continue working on it, I will be calling it "Midnight Brew".

Moral of the story: When your recipe calls for 1/8 .tsp of yeast per gallon, doing twice as much is a horrible idea. :mug:

It was in the early 1900's that a young genius from Tasmania named Albert Einstein discovered how to split a beer atom and put bubbles in beer. His early work with Marie Curie, a hot young french beauty, paved the way for carbonated beer to be mass produced. Albert grew up on an apple farm in a remote part of Tasmania and had to overcome the stigma of being a "bushman".

His early life and work is documented in a a film titled; Young Einstein.

Austin,
I had some stuff outlined back when we exchanged emails in October. Then life got crazy. We had a kid, again, for the fifth time. And then as soon as my sleep schedule started to get back to normal, I decided it was time for a job change, which has led to a move back across the country. Speaking of, I guess I need to update my location.

When I get fully settled, I'll see if I can update that email draft sitting in my gmail outbox.

Hi Austin, everyone,

I'm working on a by-ingredient breakdown of rootbeer recipes. The basic premise is to do individual boils, and cold-steeping, and everything in between (for various durations) on a per ingredient basis.

I was unhappy with the current state of the art in rootbeer recipes (no offense to the handful of good looking ones posted here) and my understanding of the ingredients contribution to the flavor.

Here's a thread I just started, to gather a list of ingredients and results. The findings could make a good article or two, as long as it wouldn't be a problem if I eventually post the individual results to a site I'm building (more database of ingredients than articles).

I'm sodaepserate to publish a soda article I'm willing to make terrible puns that suck to get your attention.

I'm sodaepserate to publish a soda article I'm willing to make terrible puns that suck to get your attention.

Did you ever post that book review? I don't think I ever saw it. Feel free to be as brutally honest as you'd like. I'm open to criticism and terrible puns.

Back