One of my best equipment purchases to date

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnevoodoo

Reaction score
Since I started brewing all grain a year and a half or so ago, I've been stirring my mash with a plastic spoon that came with my kit. I would stir the hell out of it, and then stir again before I did my runoff. My efficiency was never that great, and I suspected this was the cause the whole time, but my numbers were always so accurate, I didn't want to touch it.

So right after Christmas, I decided I needed a mash paddle. I went to the restaurant supply store, and for 20 bucks, I got one of these:

Sports Authority - King Kooker 36" Stainless Steel Paddle

36" stainless paddle. No holes in it, and I doubt I'll ever need to drill it. I did try, but the bits I had would barely scratch it. My efficiency jumped, and it makes stirring a 30 second task. Totally amazing.

I use the exact same thing. When I was putting together my all grain system I found one of those in a closet at work that was covered in surface rust. No one had used it in forever so I took it home and threw some barkeepers friend on it, it looks brand new and works like a hero.

I use that exact same paddle when stirring a big cajun boil with 60lbs of crawfish, andoulle, corn, potatoes....ummmm....

I bet it works great in a big mash.

Does stirring more that it takes to dough in make that much of an efficiency difference? I mean once the clumps are gone and you have swirled it around well, am I missing something?

Latest posts

Back