Small problem...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinHog

Reaction score
I am doing my first AG today and I forgot to get one thing...a wort chiller. My pot is 15 gallons, so an ice bath won't work. My LHBS is closed today. Should I make my own chiller? Is there another way I can chill the wort without using a chiller? Thanks for the help. :ban:

What's your boil volume?

I have, in the past, used frozen water bottles dunked in sanitizer. Just throw 'em in the wort.

Although it wasn't the greatest, it did help.

If your neighborhood hardware store is open, get 25' of copper tubing, two 5' sections of hose, two hose clamps and a connector for your faucet and make your own. Very easy.

If you have a brew bucket or a bottle bucket put it in there seal it up and leave it outside over night. You can pitch your yeast tomorrow.

I am thinking 15# of block and crushed ice in your tub with some water. Clean the tub first then spray w/ Star-San*** You DO have Star-San dont' you?***

I'd go with the advice to head for the hardware store and make your own IC. That'll even save you some money over buying one from your LHBS

Thanks for the advice. I ended up making an IC. It is probably the ugliest one ever produced, but it got the wort down to pitching temps in less than 20 minutes. Thanks for the help!

That thing is a work of art! Great job considering the pressure on ya at the
moment

BrewingHog, get a premium membership. It pays its own way in therms of advice & help & scenry.

Once again, I'm just saying.!!!
I like cookies.

I was in Hot Springs last week....

I'll be upgrading soon. Hot Springs is a great town. There's nothing like Lake Hamilton in the summer time. They have quite a few good golf courses as well.

Really all I saw of Hot Springs was the Embassy happy hour, the convention center, the Austin hotel & the german beer bar across the street.

It was a GREAT place!

Back