Steeping specialty grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just brewed up an English Brown Sunday night. I tied the open end of the muslin bag to the door handle of the microwave above the stove. It hung at the perfect height to submerge the grains and keep them from contacting any of the metal surfaces.

I see a lot of people here say that they just add their specialty grains directly to the mash, or for the last 10 min (and then sparge). Wouldn't that go against this advice?

Acula, everything can go into the mash if you're doing an all-grain recipe. While the specialty grains have already had their sugars converted with heat, there's no reason to separate them from the rest of your grains. Seems silly to conduct your mash with all pale malt, and then separately steep your specialty grains in the boil kettle.

Specialty grains, if you're doing a mash anyway, can and should into the mash with the rest of the grain bill. They'll help bring down the PH of the mash too, and avoid tannin extraction.

I steep my grains (regardless of amount) in 6gal (or whatever my full boil amt is) until 170 F and don't squeeze the bag. No issues so far

I feel more confused about brewing after reading this thread. I have always steeped in the boil volume of 3 gallons. Given my results, I am willing to try the smaller water ratio. I have heard that you don't want to squeeze the bag as that would only add astringency to the beer. I'm clueless, it seems.

LongDog said:
I feel more confused about brewing after reading this thread. I have always steeped in the boil volume of 3 gallons. Given my results, I am willing to try the smaller water ratio. I have heard that you don't want to squeeze the bag as that would only add astringency to the beer. I'm clueless, it seems.

You can do 2.5 3, 4, or 5 then top off to 5 gals. You can boil 6 gals and boil off to 5 and not have to use water to top off. The reason they give a set gallon mark is that most people can't get a full boil on some stove tops. As for squeezing the bag I've heard you can get off flavors while others say they don't. Personal preference I guess. I personally don't.

Here's the method I use, and it works:

Put your grains (no bag) in a small pot, and fill it with water, making a porridge. Heat this mixture to 150-160, and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. While that's going, fill another small pot with water, heat it to 160-170. When the steep is done, hold a fine mesh pasta strainer over your brewpot (because of the handles it has, mine sits nicely over the pot on its own), and strain your grain/water mixture. Then ladle the water from the second small pot of water over your grains, giving them a rinse. Let that drain into the pot, and then you're done.

This works great, and there's no bags to deal with. Plus there's no need to squeeze the grains and risk tannin extraction.

Back