Corona Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenny2884

Reaction score
Hey guys, just made the AG step up and am looking for a grain mill, however money is an issue. I've heard people mention the pros and cons of the corona grain mill in here (Pro: works well for batch sparging, Con: Turns the grain almost into flour). After looking through some old posts I was hoping to get some good feedback from those who have the corona and batch sparge. I'm a batch sparger myself so your input would be great. Thanks guys.

HPIM04995B25D.jpg

HPIM05005B15D.jpg

My corona works very well! Crush is consistent w/ nice amounts of fines and husks.
W/ the drill, it mills about 5 pounds per minute.
As with any tool, results can vary depending upon the user. The corona type mill must be adjusted carefully to achieve results.
The popular "barley crusher" roller mill is set and ready to go right out of the box.

Yeah I've used mine twice so far....hit 70% efficiency on the 2nd batch. You have to tweak them a bit with the addition of some washers and balancing the grind plate but if I can stay around this efficiency for about a $20 mill then I'm good for a bit

I have only ever used a Corona (both in the 80s and now again that I've come back to the brewkettle). I would buy a a corona used at a garage sale or flea market if you find one. Buying one new at MSRP and paying for the (heavy!) shipping probably would not be cost effective.

I have good results w/corona + batch sparge. I get 74-75% efficiency and no stuck mashes so far.

I have some tips and some pics of the kind of crush you can get posted online.

If you are careful and tune in the mill you can get a good crush and preserve the husks. It has taken over a year for me to get everything set, but I'm consistently getting 80-83% with a cheap($15) Corona type mill.
I don't forsee ever changing as the limited possible eff% increase would take years to offset the cost of a roller mill... IMHO

I put a washer between each of the wing nuts that hold the grind plate on. Then I just tuned the "grinding screw" to the grain size that I liked (essentially corn meal size with the husks about half). I have been getting 70%. Also it is key, I mean key to attach a 5/8(?) bolt and an electric drill (not cordless). Otherwise you, your right arm and your brew day will all be tired, long and after an hour of crushing you might give up on the day.

I just picked up one of these, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/freecycle-score-84755/
and I have a question: there is a cotter pin which is holding on the "adjustable" grind plate to the "corkscrew". Does the cotter pin get removed in order to alter the grind?

No the cotter pin does not get removed. IMO the proper way to adjust the mill is by either tightening or loosening the large bolt and lock-nut at the center of the mill. This is where care is needed. A small adjustment will change the grind sgnificantly. Go slow in 1/8 to 1/4 turns of the adjustment bolt untill all grains are nicely fractured. I have heard of people placing washers at the two outer bolts holding the mill face on. For the life of me I can't understand this.

I cannot find Discount Tommy on Ebay any longer... any other good sources for a corona mill? I am getting into the partial grain mashing and wanted to start buying in bulk, but most places online today are asking for $55 without shipping! I'm sure there has to be better deals than that...

I was told to use rubber washers in between the wing nut because it allows you to dial a little tighter and have some give.

I cannot find Discount Tommy on Ebay any longer... any other good sources for a corona mill? I am getting into the partial grain mashing and wanted to start buying in bulk, but most places online today are asking for $55 without shipping! I'm sure there has to be better deals than that...

http://stores.ebay.com/pentagontool has the "discount tommy" mills.

If you can manage it at all, I would encourage you to try and find a roller mill.

I was, once, very pro-corona mill - why spend more than you need to? But, I did eventually move to a roller mill after I found one for a bargain price, and I (unexpectedly) found that my beer quality did improve.

In retrospect, I suppose I was probably getting some astringency that went away (though it wasn't really powerful - I only noticed it after it went away, after all). I may have been milling too fine, as my efficiencies were extremely high.

Back