Goldings vs Kent Goldings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mykayel

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the "Goldings" rhizomes sold by midwest.com (and morebeer.com) are the same as "Kent Goldings"? Kent Goldings is one of my favorite hops and I ordered some "Goldings" rhizomes form Midwest. I just wanted to make sure that I was getting what I actually wanted? Freshops.com is selling "Kent Goldings" rhizomes but I don't want to buy from them also unless what I have ordered from Midwest is a different plant.

mykayel said:
Does anyone know if the "Goldings" rhizomes sold by midwest.com (and morebeer.com) are the same as "Kent Goldings"? Kent Goldings is one of my favorite hops and I ordered some "Goldings" rhizomes form Midwest. I just wanted to make sure that I was getting what I actually wanted? Freshops.com is selling "Kent Goldings" rhizomes but I don't want to buy from them also unless what I have ordered from Midwest is a different plant.
"Kent" in Kent golding is a discripter for where the Golding hops were grown. The ones you grow will be different because the soil and weather is not the same here as in Kent UK. As fare as I know though, they are one and the same.

There's no "Golding" as an USDA named variety. It's sort of a family name.

Canterbury Golding 21681
East Kent Golding 21680
Eastwell Golding 21669
Kent Golding 21680
Petham Golding 68052
Savinja Golding 61020
Whitbread's Golding 21668
Yugoslavia Golding 61019

There IS a good chance that they are Kent Golding, which is the same as East Kent Golding. None of the other Goldings are very common.

"This hop is sometimes also called Canterbury Golding, named after the town in the Kent region of England."

david_42 said:
There's no "Golding" as an USDA named variety. It's sort of a family name.

Canterbury Golding 21681
East Kent Golding 21680
Eastwell Golding 21669
Kent Golding 21680
Petham Golding 68052
Savinja Golding 61020
Whitbread's Golding 21668
Yugoslavia Golding 61019

There IS a good chance that they are Kent Golding, which is the same as East Kent Golding. None of the other Goldings are very common.

"This hop is sometimes also called Canterbury Golding, named after the town in the Kent region of England."

See! Clarity! I love this forum. Thank you by the way. I did not know there were that many varieties.

Back