Andre's Original Secret Rootbeer (from scratch) - No Kegging or Yeast Required

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droshi

Reaction score
First, I just wanted to say that although I considered this recipe secret for a long time, I've learned a lot from HBT and developed many of my non-alcoholic beer recipes using other well-known recipes as starting points and their flavor has inspired me to try opening a zero alcohol brewery (I don't drink alcohol). So given that, I wanted to give something back to the community and so here is my original Root Beer recipe that gets very good reviews from all those who try.

Next, I'd like to give a bit of commentary on the "secret" formula and process. Just about every recipe I've seen online makes several mistakes when it comes to soda making. There's a good reason why homemade soda using those methods never have the amount of flavor they should, and most of it the home-brew community is already aware of from beer brewing! Later addition of hops gives you much more flavor/aroma than earlier additions, so the key is to not let the volatile oils be boiled off. Rather than trying to get all that flavor out of huge amounts of herbs, my recipe uses mostly 100% essential oils as flavoring for the above mentioned reasons, and they are added at flame-out.

No secret recipe would be complete without a secret ingredient. I'd like to explain what it is and why we use it. First, you may have realized that oil hates water, and we are using both in our recipe. I can't take full credit for this, as I'm sure it's already in use in the industry, but it certainly was hard to find at the time. My research on how to combine water and oil with search terms like "edible soap" (which the soda gnomes cleverly call "surfactants" to disguise their true nature to us normal folk) led me to gum arabic. Also known as acacia gum as it comes from the acacia tree. This gem not only combines oil with water in a true soap like fashion, but it is natural, edible, and doesn't contribute any major flavor to the drink. In addition, it allows for the correct "release" of those oils we add to contribute flavor, rather than locking them away to never be tasted. Gum arabic might not be new to people, but I really haven't seen listed recipes that have it listed. Most recipes I tried around the web used whole herbs and generally seemed to taste like cough drops with a more mild flavor, although not bad, wasn't what I was looking for.

A couple final comments before we get to the recipe. I include a lot of essential oils. Essential oils from reputable places aren't exactly cheap, but the good news is that once you've made the initial investment, they last a LONG time. In fact, I have bottles that are about 10 years old and I've made a lot of root beer in that time.

Disclaimer: WARNING! My recipe contains wintergreen or birch oil. The main active compound is methyl salicylate and is a known toxin in large quantities. It also breaks down in our bodies into what was later packaged as aspirin. Lethal doses are possible, with doses up to lethal making someone pretty sick. Methyls also may not be safe for those pregnant, so consult doctors. I'm not responsible for anything that you do with this recipe, consider it as informational purposes only. Also, wintergreen is usually listed on sites as not recommended for internal use, however 100% essential oils (NOT fragrance oils) are supposed to be purely from the plant listed, but you should buy your oils from reputable companies, as purity is all based on the company providing the oil.

However, given the above disclaimer, I will say that I've ingested lots (at what I feel are safe levels given here) of wintergreen in my time and never felt any effect. Also, lethal doses are listed around the web at about 4mL for children and up to 10mL for adults. My recipe includes about 4mL to create around 36 total litres of final product, which would all have to be drunk to make a lethal dose in a child. Even if the syrup is drunk straight, the full 6 liters would be necessary. I consider it pretty rare, however use your best judgement. And if you have children, make sure you keep your flavor oils LOCKED up in a secure area. Kids will love the smell and deaths have been reported mostly from children ingesting pure oil.

Although it depends on the thickness of the oil, generally 20 drops = 1mL

Ok, finally the recipe! All oils listed are 100% pure essential oil, get them from a trusted source!

Flavoring:
80 drops Wintergreen or Sweet Birch (betula lenta) - both taste the same to me
20 drops Star Anise Seed
20 drops Fennel Seed (sweet)
15 drops Cassia
5 drops Nutmeg
25 drops Clove Bud
10 drops Cinnamon Leaf
30 drops Vanilla Extract
100g Gum Arabic

Sugars:
4kg Turbinado or Demerara Sugar (honey or maple syrup can be substituted, or even fresh cane juice if you have access to it, but you will have to adjust to taste)

Water:
Use "simple" carbonated bottled water. Never use tonic water, it has sugar and quinine added. Mineral water will also change the flavor a bit, but it can work in a pinch. Look at ingredient list, should just be "carbonated water" without other additives.

To make flavoring:
  1. Mix Gum Arabic with ~230mL of filtered water
  2. Add oils to this mixture. WARNING! Make sure you use goggles (as well as for all observers) when handling pure essential oils, they can splash when dropped into the gum solution.
  3. Blend in a small food processor, or mix by hand until smooth. It should be a syrupy consistency.

To make syrup:
  1. Dissolve sugar into ~3 liters of water
  2. Add water until a total volume of 6 liters is achieved
  3. Boil for at least 5 minutes to sanitize, add any water that is boiled off if necessary back to 6 liters.
  4. Turn out flame, whirlpool to get everything mixing, then add flavoring "syrup" and immediately cover.
  5. Rinse container or food processor with a small amount of water and mix to get the last bit of flavoring out. Add this to the main syrup and cover again.
  6. Let syrup stand covered for 10 minutes or so, afterwards give it a good stir and replace cover.

To store syrup:
  1. Clean 13 mason jars (16 oz) and lids. You can sanitize as well, but it's not necessary. Pre-heating with hot water should help glass to not crack.
  2. Place jar in sink and pour in hot syrup leaving about 1/2" of headspace. Hot filling is my preferred method which prevents spoilage, I don't like to use preservatives, but they are an option as well.
  3. Cap immediately and invert jar to sterilize lid.
  4. Allow to cool to room temp and avoid major temperature changes else glass may crack.

To make root beer:
  1. Use a 1:5 ratio as a starting point, adjust to sweetness desired.
  2. Pour in syrup first, this can be done warm if needed.
  3. Make sure bottle/growler is cold, syrup is cold and carbonated water is cold! If you mix while warm, you'll lose a lot of carbonation.
  4. Pour in carbonated water while making sure it cascades down the side of the bottle. This will eliminate foaming.
  5. Cap bottle and shake to mix. Allow to settle a couple minutes in the fridge before serving.

You'll notice while making the syrup that I try to keep the lid on while it's hot as much as possible. This helps to avoid the volatile oils from escaping, however the recipe is such that a bit extra oil is added to account for some escape.

Also, optionally you can boil herbs to replace some of the essential oils if you want to limit or stage your initial cost of buying all the oils, but consider them a long-term investment. Some herbs could be for flavor, others for medicinal qualities if desired, just add them before adding the sugars and boil or steep as is required for the type of herb. The most important oil to not substitute is the wintergreen as this flavor is hard to get from herbs directly.

Optional is also to keg and eliminate the mixing steps, this is what I do now. My current recipe has changed somewhat to include more herbs than I used to use for various purposes, but this recipe is in my opinion very good as a base where you can adjust to your tastes.

As a final note, I don't mean to come off as though no one but me knows how to make root beer, but having been unsatisfied with other recipes is what brought me to create this one. Someone else out there is probably doing it the same way as me, and I'm sure some commercial root beers are made the same way with some natural/artificial oils. I've just never seen any of them published. So enjoy and share with your friends!

If you don't mind me asking, how much per brew session does this recipe cost you?
Looks like a well thought out recipe. Thanks for sharing.

If you don't mind me asking, how much per brew session does this recipe cost you?
Looks like a well thought out recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Most of the cost here is initial in the oils. To get started with this number it is around $100 from what I last remember.

Per batch cost, the highest is the sugar, oils per batch along with the gum arabic are probably in the neighborhood of about $1 or so.

I've now switched to Sucanat (SUgar CAne NATural) as my preferred sweetener. It is simply dehydrated cane juice (minimally processed) and doesn't crystallize at all because of the large amount of minerals naturally in the cane juice. This is fairly expensive at around $75 per 25lb. But it depends on what you use.

I now scale this recipe down to 5 gallon batches and keg since having started my kegging setup. Works mostly the same, but the syrup method worked for me for many years.

According to my calculations, this recipe is about 4 times too strong.

I test recipes by adding drops of 5% solutions of essential oils or flavor chemicals in alcohol to 1 gallon of water. I do my thinking in terms of parts per million (ppm) so I converted your recipe to ppm. To do this, I needed to know approximately the volume of final product. Based on 4 kg. of sugar and a usage rate of 1 lb./gal., the volume of final product is 8.8 gallons. From this, I calculate the following:

ppm.png

In my experience, root beer should contain approximately 25 ppm of methyl salicylate or 30 ppm of wintergreen oil. 120 ppm of wintergreen should taste terrible to almost everyone and may be unhealthy.

Please, check my calculations. Incidentally, who is Andre?

Last edited:
According to my calculations, this recipe is about 4 times too strong.

I test recipes by adding drops of 5% solutions of essential oils or flavor chemicals in alcohol to 1 gallon of water. I do my thinking in terms of parts per million (ppm) so I converted your recipe to ppm. To do this, I needed to know approximately the volume of final product. Based on 4 kg. of sugar and a usage rate of 1 lb./gal., the volume of final product is 8.8 gallons. From this, I calculate the following:

ppm.png

In my experience, root beer should contain approximately 25 ppm of methyl salicylate or 30 ppm of wintergreen oil. 120 ppm of wintergreen should taste terrible to almost everyone and may be unhealthy.

Please, check my calculations. Incidentally, who is Andre?

Well let's see...first of all, I don't want this to come across as harsh, the internet doesn't do a good job of reflecting tone, so my intention with my response is to inform others as best as I can, and show where I came up with my amounts (other than adjusted to taste). And not to show that you're wrong and I'm right, in this case I don't think there's a 100% correct answer, but rather one that's good for your situation.

I didn't calculate based on ppm. Reason being is that I was more focused on what would be a practical safe dose of methyl salicylate. If anyone drinks the oil or syrup straight, you could have a potential for overdose, no matter the calculations. Also, if you are on certain meds, have a sensitivity to aspirin or shouldn't have aspirin, same thing...hence my warnings and disclaimers. Up to the individual to decide.

Once mixed, it seems to have safe levels according to my calculations, and taste has gotten great reviews, so I don't know why you seem to think both are opposite, but as the disclaimers have mentioned, feel free to ignore or adjust the recipe as required for you or your situation.

According to this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wintergreen

Wintergreen oil is 98% methyl salicylate, 30mL (1 fl oz) of MS is equal to about 171 adult aspirin. 20 drops = 1mL very conservatively which means this recipe has about 4mL of MS. Lethal dose with children can be about 10mL, but lethal dose doesn't really tell you what's safe over the long term, especially when you mix in what other medication a person might be taking etc.

The recipe makes a total of 36 liters and contains total approximately 22.8 adult aspirin. Which means each liter has 0.6 asprin in it, or less depending on how large/small your dropper makes drops. 20-36 drops = 1mL is an approximation, but I went with the most conservative.

So, how much rootbeer can you drink at once? If the answer is 36 liters (or all of the syrup) then you'll get a whooping dose of aspirin, but still less than half the lethal child dosage. Info is out there, and I had thought a lot of it was in the original post...I wanted to be pretty clear that methyl salicylate isn't something to toy around with, so I hope I got that across.

Appreciate the double check, but wondering where you got the ppm levels you're talking about in the 25-30 range? If it's just a matter of taste, then....adjust to taste? Maybe we are talking the same thing and ppm comes out to be the same way...I just can't relate to a ppm number as it seems relatively arbitrary to me and can only be used for reference once you know what the number "should" be. Even then, it could be different for other people or situations.

As to your final question...I had assumed it was obvious, but I'm Andre.

Well let's see...first of all, I don't want this to come across as harsh, the internet doesn't do a good job of reflecting tone, so my intention with my response is to inform others as best as I can, and show where I came up with my amounts (other than adjusted to taste). And not to show that you're wrong and I'm right, in this case I don't think there's a 100% correct answer, but rather one that's good for your situation.

I didn't calculate based on ppm. Reason being is that I was more focused on what would be a practical safe dose of methyl salicylate. If anyone drinks the oil or syrup straight, you could have a potential for overdose, no matter the calculations. Also, if you are on certain meds, have a sensitivity to aspirin or shouldn't have aspirin, same thing...hence my warnings and disclaimers. Up to the individual to decide.

Once mixed, it seems to have safe levels according to my calculations, and taste has gotten great reviews, so I don't know why you seem to think both are opposite, but as the disclaimers have mentioned, feel free to ignore or adjust the recipe as required for you or your situation.

According to this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wintergreen

Wintergreen oil is 98% methyl salicylate, 30mL (1 fl oz) of MS is equal to about 171 adult aspirin. 20 drops = 1mL very conservatively which means this recipe has about 4mL of MS. Lethal dose with children can be about 10mL, but lethal dose doesn't really tell you what's safe over the long term, especially when you mix in what other medication a person might be taking etc.

The recipe makes a total of 36 liters and contains total approximately 22.8 adult aspirin. Which means each liter has 0.6 asprin in it, or less depending on how large/small your dropper makes drops. 20-36 drops = 1mL is an approximation, but I went with the most conservative.

So, how much rootbeer can you drink at once? If the answer is 36 liters (or all of the syrup) then you'll get a whooping dose of aspirin, but still less than half the lethal child dosage. Info is out there, and I had thought a lot of it was in the original post...I wanted to be pretty clear that methyl salicylate isn't something to toy around with, so I hope I got that across.

Appreciate the double check, but wondering where you got the ppm levels you're talking about in the 25-30 range? If it's just a matter of taste, then....adjust to taste? Maybe we are talking the same thing and ppm comes out to be the same way...I just can't relate to a ppm number as it seems relatively arbitrary to me and can only be used for reference once you know what the number "should" be. Even then, it could be different for other people or situations.

As to your final question...I had assumed it was obvious, but I'm Andre.

Sorry, Andre, but I didn't intend for you to fixate on, "120 ppm ... may be unhealthy". "May be" means that I don't know. I am more concerned with the strength of flavor. All of the essential oils are in reasonable proportions therefore all of the essential oils seem about 4 times more concentrated than necessary. I point out that this is good news, at least to Colby Jack, because, once corrected, the cost of the essential oils is reduced by 75%. How can you ignore that as good news?

My recommendation of 25 ppm of methyl salicylate is an average based on my perception of flavors in commercial root beers compared to what I have been able to reproduce. As I mentioned elsewhere, the strongest methyl salicylate flavor that I have encountered is in A&W, which I estimate to be 40-60 ppm. I have tried to find a chemical analysis of root beer to support my flavor estimate of concentration but only found this:

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@term+@DOCNO+1935

more specifically,

"Food Survey Values:
Methyl salicylate concentrations of 54 ppm in bakery goods, 840 ppm in candy, 59 ppm in non-alcoholic beverages, 8400 ppm in chewing gum, 27 ppm in ice cream and 200 ppm in syrups. Methyl salicylate has been identified as a volatile component of meat(2).
[(1) Furia TE, Bellanca N; Fenaroli's Handbook of Flavor Ingredients. CRC Press Cleveland OH (1975) (2) Shahidi F et al; CRC Crit Rev Food Sci Nature 24: 141-243 (1986)] **PEER REVIEWED** "

and

"REPORTED USES: ... NON-ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES 10 PPM; CANDY 900-5000 PPM.
[Fenaroli's Handbook of Flavor Ingredients. Volume 1. Edited, translated, and revised by T.E. Furia and N. Bellanca. 2nd ed. Cleveland: The Chemical Rubber Co., 1975., p. 490] **PEER REVIEWED**"

Thus, there is a conflict between "59 ppm" and "10 ppm" but, in either case, the amount is substantially less than 120 ppm.

Sorry, Andre, but I didn't intend for you to fixate on, "120 ppm ... may be unhealthy". "May be" means that I don't know. I am more concerned with the strength of flavor. All of the essential oils are in reasonable proportions therefore all of the essential oils seem about 4 times more concentrated than necessary. I point out that this is good news, at least to Colby Jack, because, once corrected, the cost of the essential oils is reduced by 75%. How can you ignore that as good news?

My recommendation of 25 ppm of methyl salicylate is an average based on my perception of flavors in commercial root beers compared to what I have been able to reproduce. As I mentioned elsewhere, the strongest methyl salicylate flavor that I have encountered is in A&W, which I estimate to be 40-60 ppm. I have tried to find a chemical analysis of root beer to support my flavor estimate of concentration but only found this:

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@term+@DOCNO+1935

more specifically,

"Food Survey Values:
Methyl salicylate concentrations of 54 ppm in bakery goods, 840 ppm in candy, 59 ppm in non-alcoholic beverages, 8400 ppm in chewing gum, 27 ppm in ice cream and 200 ppm in syrups. Methyl salicylate has been identified as a volatile component of meat(2).
[(1) Furia TE, Bellanca N; Fenaroli's Handbook of Flavor Ingredients. CRC Press Cleveland OH (1975) (2) Shahidi F et al; CRC Crit Rev Food Sci Nature 24: 141-243 (1986)] **PEER REVIEWED** "

and

"REPORTED USES: ... NON-ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES 10 PPM; CANDY 900-5000 PPM.
[Fenaroli's Handbook of Flavor Ingredients. Volume 1. Edited, translated, and revised by T.E. Furia and N. Bellanca. 2nd ed. Cleveland: The Chemical Rubber Co., 1975., p. 490] **PEER REVIEWED**"

Thus, there is a conflict between "59 ppm" and "10 ppm" but, in either case, the amount is substantially less than 120 ppm.

Yeah I see what you mean, although I suppose the perceived flavor is probably very dependant on the type, efficiency and amount of emulsifier you have. My source of gum arabic or perhaps in general could be that a higher strength is needed to have a similar perceived flavor.

Certainly from a health perspective, dividing all flavor oils in half or by 4 wouldn't be any problem. Just like halving the sugar would be better for you as well. I personally like making a Ginger Beer with half the sugar.

So in the end, flavor is up to you. My total 175 drops of essential oils I believe came from somewhere at some point, but it's been many years. I remember referencing the Open Source Cola recipe at some point, but it could have been after getting this number. Either way, it's evolved with time, just making sure taste was as I liked it and the amount of wintergreen oil wasn't beyond what I considered safe.

Yeah I see what you mean, although I suppose the perceived flavor is probably very dependant on the type, efficiency and amount of emulsifier you have. My source of gum arabic or perhaps in general could be that a higher strength is needed to have a similar perceived flavor.

Certainly from a health perspective, dividing all flavor oils in half or by 4 wouldn't be any problem. Just like halving the sugar would be better for you as well. I personally like making a Ginger Beer with half the sugar.

So in the end, flavor is up to you. My total 175 drops of essential oils I believe came from somewhere at some point, but it's been many years. I remember referencing the Open Source Cola recipe at some point, but it could have been after getting this number. Either way, it's evolved with time, just making sure taste was as I liked it and the amount of wintergreen oil wasn't beyond what I considered safe.

I tasted your recipe at 25% concentration of essential oils and it tasted almost as I had expected except the most prominent flavor was cinnamon instead of clove (as I expected). Is that the way you intended it? The overall strength was about the same as most commercial root beers.

I don't see how the emulsifier would matter because, at the final concentration, all of your essential oils should dissolve within a few seconds. Even if the essential oils segregated into a separate layer from the water, I would expect all of them to dissolve within several months. It would be easy enough for you to try adding a 5% solution of essential oils in alcohol to the final solution (not the syrup) just to see whether it makes a difference but, I doubt it.

The most likely explanation is that your essential oils were severely adulterated. The easiest way for you to test for severe adulteration is to compare the strength of flavor of your wintergreen and clove oils against the flavors of the known standards, pure methyl salicylate and pure eugenol, respectively. You can buy them very inexpensively at http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/c-88-aroma-and-flavor-molecules.aspx . Also, if you want, I can give you a list of other flavor chemicals useful in making root beer. Maybe, 90% of all flavor chemicals are liquids that you can treat exactly the same as essential oils. The solid flavor chemicals have to be dissolved in something like alcohol before adding to water.

I tasted your recipe at 25% concentration of essential oils and it tasted almost as I had expected except the most prominent flavor was cinnamon instead of clove (as I expected). Is that the way you intended it? The overall strength was about the same as most commercial root beers.

I don't see how the emulsifier would matter because, at the final concentration, all of your essential oils should dissolve within a few seconds. Even if the essential oils segregated into a separate layer from the water, I would expect all of them to dissolve within several months. It would be easy enough for you to try adding a 5% solution of essential oils in alcohol to the final solution (not the syrup) just to see whether it makes a difference but, I doubt it.

The most likely explanation is that your essential oils were severely adulterated. The easiest way for you to test for severe adulteration is to compare the strength of flavor of your wintergreen and clove oils against the flavors of the known standards, pure methyl salicylate and pure eugenol, respectively. You can buy them very inexpensively at http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/c-88-aroma-and-flavor-molecules.aspx . Also, if you want, I can give you a list of other flavor chemicals useful in making root beer. Maybe, 90% of all flavor chemicals are liquids that you can treat exactly the same as essential oils. The solid flavor chemicals have to be dissolved in something like alcohol before adding to water.

The recipe when I make it doesn't have a strong clove or cinnamon flavor, but it's there. Overwhelmingly wintergreen is the main component. I've changed out brands and types over the years...it doesn't seem to make a difference, but I always get 100% natural essential oils from reputable places, never chemically pure extracted oils. Maybe natural oils are different than what you are used to using?

I'm not too interested personally in using chemically pure flavorings to get a standardized flavor, as mentioned, I'm not interested in producing Root Beer commercially for a variety of reasons.

I've never had anyone except those from UK comment on the root beer in a negative way. In the UK apparently their cough medicine tastes similar. Surprising to me it's so negatively received here, but I guess maybe it shouldn't be.

I have recently rediscovered Birch Beer and up here in WNY Johnnie Ryan's makes a fabulous Black Birch soda.So I figured it cant be that hard to brew at home. Reading your terrific instructions and the disclosure of the secret ingredient made me understand why acacia is listed as an ingredient in Jonnies Birch beer. What I cant figure out tho is where you source all these oils. Yes I have googled and found most of everything but the birch oil and what birch i have found either comes with dire warnings not to use this internally or nothing at all. Very confusing.
Would you be so kind as to include a rudimentary list of where you get your oils and acacia? Hope I am not over thinking this.:mug:
Thanks
Zoo

What's your recipe look like for kegging, my wife is big in essential oils so this might be a fun recipe to do.

Do you still use carbonated water or is it just filtered water and the said recipe, make the flavoring and make the syrup then combine and top keg with filtered water to 5 gals?

Sorry I haven't seen the updates here.

I have recently rediscovered Birch Beer and up here in WNY Johnnie Ryan's makes a fabulous Black Birch soda.So I figured it cant be that hard to brew at home. Reading your terrific instructions and the disclosure of the secret ingredient made me understand why acacia is listed as an ingredient in Jonnies Birch beer. What I cant figure out tho is where you source all these oils. Yes I have googled and found most of everything but the birch oil and what birch i have found either comes with dire warnings not to use this internally or nothing at all. Very confusing.
Would you be so kind as to include a rudimentary list of where you get your oils and acacia? Hope I am not over thinking this.:mug:
Thanks
Zoo

Birch oil is hard to find, the source I have closed down, and I still have a big bottle left! You can substitute wintergreen oil as I think chemically they are about 99% the same. The same active ingredient is in both.

Gum arabic is pretty easy to find I like Rose Mountain Herbs as they've had good quality and good prices:
https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/products/acacia-powder/profile

I also get my vanilla bean from them as well at good prices.

What's your recipe look like for kegging, my wife is big in essential oils so this might be a fun recipe to do.

Do you still use carbonated water or is it just filtered water and the said recipe, make the flavoring and make the syrup then combine and top keg with filtered water to 5 gals?

Now I use a lot more dry herbs for most of the other flavor besides wintergreen and do a full 5 gallon boil. I add sugar towards the end of the boil, then hot fill the keg. To the keg I add a "dry hop" inspired mixture which is just the gum arabic, wintergreen oil (1.5mL) and a scraped vanilla bean insides (husk is boiled).

I had originally planned to post a new recipe, but generally was a bit put off to post it. Overall I guess it's just better to try something out and adjust to taste. The strength of my oils or gum arabic (or my taste buds) may be far off so I don't feel right about posting a new recipe under such scrutiny.

Either way the secret (or not so secret) is really just essential oils in moderation and gum arabic.

Good luck!

Thank You for getting back however long it took, I appreciate the time spent as do 99% of the other ppl here. Please do not be put off by one clumsy post.
Thank You for the reply, I sincerely hope you decide to share the other recipe, it will be our loss but I understand.
Zoo

I'm curious about your use of cassia instead of cinnamon bark, and your use of cinnamon leaf. In recipes that use herbs people typically use cinnamon bark in their brewing, cinnamon leaf is a different compound entirely. What flavor is it that the leaf gives? I am working on my own root beer recipe based on essential oils and want to use your recipe as a base but didn't know how important cinnamon leaf is to the recipe, and if I said just use cinnamon bark oil instead of cassia and/or cinnamon leaf. I know this is quite an old post but figured it would be worth a shot!

Last edited:
I'm curious about your use of cassia instead of cinnamon bark, and your use of cinnamon leaf. In recipes that use herbs people typically use cinnamon bark in their brewing, cinnamon leaf is a different compound entirely. What flavor is it that the leaf gives? I am working on my own root beer recipe based on essential oils and want to use your recipe as a base but didn't know how important cinnamon leaf is to the recipe, and if I said just use cinnamon bark oil instead of cassia and/or cinnamon leaf. I know this is quite an old post but figured it would be worth a shot!
Hi There! Cassia is cinnamon. Cassia cinnamon comes from the Cinnamomum cassia tree, also called Cinnamomum aromaticum.
Ceylon, or “true cinnamon,” is native to Sri Lanka and southern parts of India.
It’s made from the inner bark of the Cinnamomum verum tree. It's all good.
As for cinnamon leaves, apparently, their taste is strong and contain eugenol. You could leaf them out :ghostly: but it would taste differently.
Source your spices from a respected source, not a supermarket as well.
Have fun!
Do let me know if you make this, i never got around to it .
:ghostly:

Hi There! Cassia is cinnamon. Cassia cinnamon comes from the Cinnamomum cassia tree, also called Cinnamomum aromaticum.
Ceylon, or “true cinnamon,” is native to Sri Lanka and southern parts of India.
It’s made from the inner bark of the Cinnamomum verum tree. It's all good.
As for cinnamon leaves, apparently, their taste is strong and contain eugenol. You could leaf them out :ghostly: but it would taste differently.
Source your spices from a respected source, not a supermarket as well.
Have fun!
Thank you for your input! I knew that cassia oil and cinnamon oil were pretty much the same, and the site I use for my essential oils, newdirectionsaromatics.com (a very good site for this) showed that cinnamon leaf oil was eugenol, I wasn't sure what the flavor of eugenol was compared to cinnamon/cassia oil (Cinnamaldehyde) and how necessary it is to root beer. I'll make sure and report back once I've made some, I plan on doing batches with different amounts and leaving some things out so that I can identify what I do and don't like. Thanks!

I did end up making this! What I ended up doing is a very small batch, so it's very possible that in doing that and using drops as my measurement that the balance of flavors is a little off from how it would be if making a bigger batch.

Here's what I did.

I divided the recipe by 5 so that the smallest quantity was 1 drop of nutmeg.

I diluted everclear (190 proof) down to about 65% (20.5 ml everclear and 19.5ml of water) but might have ended up at more like 50%, I didn't measure super carefully.

I then used a magnetic stir bar setup and added the drops of essential oils in and covered it and let it stir for about 10 minutes. Then I transferred it to a small amber bottle. That made about 1 oz of Root Beer Essence. You can just put it all in the bottle and shake for 5-10 minutes if you don't have a magnetic mixing table.

Then I made 5 oz of 1:1 sugar syrup (110 grams of sugar, 110 grams of water, discarded the slight excess), and I added 1.5 ml of the essence to the syrup and shook.

Then I used my drink mate, carbonated 28 oz of water, added 4 oz of syrup (1oz of syrup for every 7 oz of water). Unfortunately I added the syrup too fast and it bubbled over and I ended up losing 4oz of liquid, and I have no way of knowing (until I make another batch of syrup, I've got plenty of essence) how much syrup might have left with it, so it might have ended up much weaker than it should have been.

So really I used his ratios as a starting place, used some info from online (mostly from Art Of Drink on YouTube and his patreon) to figure out how much alcohol to dissolve that amount of oil in and how much essence to put in to what amount of syrup and syrup to liquid ratio.

I have 1 oz of syrup left so I can make another glass later and make sure the ratio is correct so I can totally judge the flavor, but my initial impression is that it's good. I think I might personally like more vanilla, I don't think you can really taste it, it works out to be about 1/20 of a drop of vanilla extract per glass, I don't think that's nearly enough, I am pretty sure I couldn't even taste it, so I added a little splash to my glass and that was much better. But different types and qualities of vanilla might have a lot to do with that, and how I went about making it might have made this pretty far off from his original result.

My next plan is to make an essence of each oil individually and develope my own recipe, but I'm very thankful to this recipe for giving me a good starting place, and near as i can tell it's a good one.

I will say, as far as the guy who commented on here, I'm not sure his math was correct, but based on the ppm calculator that Art of Drink has on his Patreon, the level of wintergreen oil in my final drink was about 25 parts per million. I think there's a good chance that I ended up with a recipe about 1/4 the strength of Andre's original, and I could probably double the amount of essence I'm putting in the syrup, because the wintergreen flavor (which was prominent), was not that strong. I'll probably try doubling it next time and see how that goes. It's definitely not an unsafe concentration even if I tripled it, as Andre pointed out, you'd have to drink so much soda to get a dangerous level that it's not even really possible to do so.

So I did make another batch of syrup using the essence with Andre's proportions. Definitely a better amount of flavor, but I could totally see someone still going double strength again, and that may very well be what Andre's level was at.

I also added an additional 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla per ounce of syrup (which is per 8 oz drink, 7oz + 1 oz syrup).

What I am definitely finding is that the anise flavor is stronger than I would like. When I make another go I'll probably drop the anise and use only the fennel and see how I like that. I think I would prefere the anise/fennel flavor to be a supporting flavor rather than a prominent one. Anyway, I'll probably not post here anymore because as I formulate my own recipe it really won't have anything to do with the original recipe posted here. Even though I know he probably won't see it, thank you Andre for helping to point me in the right direction!

Back