Brew day postponed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhCrap

Reaction score
So there I was all set to brew... All the ingredients laid out, equipment in place, 30l of water waiting to be turned into sweet sweet beer. I filled my bucket with water for sanitising stuff.......NO SANITIZER, it was never delivered with my order. Now I have to wait till next Monday. I hate when stupid stuff gets in the way on brew day
Rant over

Oh yeah I decided to tidy up the garage and came accross a bottle of Milton, to f'n late tho :(

Aggravating! I'd have done what I could to make a brewday out of it - borrow a friends sanitizer, boil my hoses, or something. Oh well, at least you can look forward to next monday.

Mise en place: It's one reason why I go over my equipment, steps and all ingredients the day before brew day. Takes like 20 minutes of time. It's efficient, professional and I hate scrambling for things I need on brew day. It keeps you focused and on task to have all your stuff where and when you need it.

IMHO, i'd probably just break down and use a 20:1 solution of cold tap water to bleach, and then use warm distilled water to rinse. I still do this on occasion when i'm out of idophor. I know all the blah blah about bleach off flavors, but if you do it as directed at that specific concentration with a thorough warm water rinse, you won't taste any off flavors.

IMHO, i'd probably just break down and use a 20:1 solution of cold tap water to bleach, and then use warm distilled water to rinse. I still do this on occasion when i'm out of idophor. I know all the blah blah about bleach off flavors, but if you do it as directed at that specific concentration with a thorough warm water rinse, you won't taste any off flavors.

^^^^This.

You can sub some bleach and acid water for your sanitizer. There is a ratio on here somewhere that the maker of Starsan says will also work as a no-rinse sanitizer. If you let your equipment drip the residue will not have enough chlorine in it to affect the beer's flavor.

I could have used the Milton as I've done in the past but it as getting too late and I was pissed off as it was, didn't want to rush it and ruin my beer. Next Monday (my day off) will result in nicely made, un-rushed beer

You probably have different ways of cleaning in USA .. I mostly brew in the evening, resulting in finishing the brew after midnight.
We dump the grains and hops in the bin and clean it a little with a garden hose. Same as for the kettels, hoses, chiller and filter.
One or two days later I clean everything in the bathroom with hot water. When it's (mostly) clean I fill tthe kettels with hot water and chemipro oxy. Putt all the equipment (except the heatchanger) in the kettel.
Next day empty everything and rinse with hot water.

Now I can brew anytime I want, because everything is clean and sanitized without any food for bugs or something like that.

Back