cold crash while dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisgoestoeleven

Reaction score
Yesterday I dry-hopped a SMaSH maris otter/centennial pale ale after 6 days in primary fermentation. I didn't rack it, I just threw the hops in a sanitized strainer bag and tossed it right in. I was hoping to have this beer kegged in a week or so, so I want to know if cold crashing with the hops in it will negatively impact flavor, aroma, etc. I know people dry hop in the keg, so I assume it'll be fine. I would just rather ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake.

No, just cold crash a day or two before you keg.Probably two since you are kegging.Mine have cleared overnight. I bottle and it is clear.Not shure of any effects of doing this oposed to not crashing if that has effect or has been even documented or not, i havent known or read anything of the differnces.

If you dry hop it at cold temperatures it will take a lot longer to get the dry hop effect than compared to "room" temp

Also, next time wait a little longer into primary to dry hop. Although fermentation may appear to be complete, the yeasties are still working and can "eat up" some of the dry hop compounds/chemicals (ie, the good stuff).

Since you're kegging, you could have waited for the beer to finish and then cold crash and keg. At that point you could dry hop in the keg, but like above, the effects of the dry hopping will take longer at the chilled temp. Once in the keg though, you could leave it at room temp for a week or so to give the dry hops a jump start before you throw it in the fridge

Back