Crushing your own grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CthulhuDreaming

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Some questions for all-grain brewers that crush thier own. The TL;DR part is at the beginning, and the question is at the end. Skip to the end if it's TL;DR for you. :D

I have the good fortune to have a conveniently located LHBS that carries a good variety of gains at reasonable prices. They'll crush it for you for a fee (~0.15/lb), and I've heard they let customers use their crusher as well. That's worked out well for me, I send them a grain order and they crush it and have it ready for me to pick up on my way home from work.

There's a few disadvantages to that approach: the quality and consistency of the crush is not under my control, I can't take advantage of quantity buying, and I've got to plan my brew day in advance. I can't decide to do a spur-of-the moment batch on the weekend, as it's convenient to work but not home, and they have short weekend hours.

Crushing my own has appeal - I like the idea of having more control over the whole process, presumably gaining more predictability in my efficiency, and hopefully improving overall efficiency as well. Being able to keep grains on-hand and brew up a batch, whip up a starter, or do an experiment when I get an unexpected free day is really attractive as well. Beyond that, it's a hobby, and other than all the cleaning, I enjoy the hands-on parts of the process.

Although it's not the only consideration, and at the prices I get locally, I did the math and a Barley Crusher basically pays for itself after about 350 lbs of two-row bought in bulk and even faster with Maris Otter, etc. So it's not going to take more than 165 gallons (assuming 10lb/5gal batch) for a mill to pay for itself. But that's not really that big of a consideration - my interest in crushing my own is less about economic considerations than it is about taking ownership of more of the process because I want to.

It makes sense to me and I'm about the pull the trigger. I'm definitely going with something motor driven, hand cranking sounds like nothing but a PITA.

So - questions for you all-grain brewers that crush your own.

1) Subjectively, is crushing your own an enjoyable part of the brew day, or just a PITA chore?

2) Do you feel that crushing your own improves the predictability of your brewhouse efficiency?

3) Have you been able to improve the overall efficiency of your process by crushing your own vs. depending on your supplier's crush? If so, can you quantify your efficiency gains?

4) I'm leaning towards a Barley Crusher mill. It appears to fit my immediate needs and those for the forseeable future, and also seems to be a popular tool. If you've used one, would you recommend it? If you've used one and wouldn't recommend one, what would you recommend instead?

Not looking to turn this into a this vs. that thread - just looking for your subjective opinions and experience.

I bought a Barley Crusher after my second AG batch from my LHBS came in around 60% efficiency. I improved my efficiency to 75%. I believe that I may be able to do better, with more experience.

As for the Barley Crusher, be sure to have a drill that goes no faster than 500 rpms. Check to make sure that all your screws are tightened before beginning. Hand cranking is a chore, but it's no more than ten minutes of your life for about a 15 lbs grain bill.

I got a Corona style mill for Xmas so it has already paid for itself. I am getting pretty consistent efficiency in from 75% - 80%.
I am buying in bulk and making savings that way.

1) While not really enjoyable I would not say a PITA either.
2) So far I have had fairly consistent efficiency.
3) I can't really quantify the gain as I really didn't pay any attention before crushing my own grain
4) I would like a nice roller mill but have not wanted to spend the $. I was liking the looks of the Monster Mills. Reading of them I would love the MM3, But the MM2 would be plenty for most home brewers.

If I was to spring for one right now I would probably go with the Rebel Mill Crusher from Rebel Brewer.

As for the Barley Crusher, be sure to have a drill that goes no faster than 500 rpms. Hand cranking is a chore, but it's no more than ten minutes of your life for about a 15 lbs grain bill.

Thanks for the comments - I've got a speed-adjustable 18V cordless which I think should be up to the job, if not I'm two minutes from Harbor Freight and I'm sure they'll have something that'll be appropriate.

Hand cranking is going to be out of the question - I've got a disability that would really make that extremely difficult. So motor-driven is the way to go for me. :mug:

I would like a nice roller mill but have not wanted to spend the $. I was liking the looks of the Monster Mills. Reading of them I would love the MM3, But the MM2 would be plenty for most home brewers.

If I was to spring for one right now I would probably go with the Rebel Mill Crusher from Rebel Brewer.

Yeah, I'm considering the MM2, it's probably more than I need, and certainly more expensive than the BC. I hadn't seen the Rebel mill - wow, that seems as nice as the MM2 but not as expensive (once you upgrade the MM2 to stainless rollers). I'll have to consider that one, it's only $60 more than the BC right now and I've never regretted paying extra for a quality tool. I'd rather regret paying the $60 extra than thinking "man, if I had just spent the extra money" and wishing I had something else. I like to buy things once. :D

I you want to buy bulk and crush your own grains feel free. I run the mill at the LHBW so there's no additional cost to me. My first PM BIAB had rediculously poor effeciency. This time I paid more ttention to the crush and elected to double crush the grains. I also took delivery on a refractometer so I will be able to monitor the mash better, and determine if the crush results in an improvement in effeciency. If you store bulk grains be sure you have a cool dry place to store them. Weevels are present in all grains and can run through the sack quick quick if they are not stored in the proper conditions. I buy grains and hops per batch so a trip to the LHBW is always required. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

I'm using a POS Corona for my crusher/grinder. So far it has been cheap and efficient and if it's good enough for Palmer it's definately good enough for me. So a BC, MM2 or Rebel would be overkill for me, If I had a bunch of extra coin I would buy grain and improve my storage conditions so no weevils get free meals, little bazturds. Just my .02 FWIW.
Bob

I like crushing my own for the convenience of the spur of the moment brew...I have a 50lb sack of two row thats divided up into 5lb increments in ziplocks, and then into a large rubbermaid container, and then a few lbs of various specialty malts, combine that with a few lbs of hops in the freezer, and a few yeast selections....viola,,,a good reason to play hooky from work on a nice spring day....oh,,,,plus, i am 50 miles from a brew store, and while I love my lhbs it tends to get busy on the days I get there so its nice to grab what I need and get outta the guys hair while he reassures people that their first batch is ok and to relax.

So - questions for you all-grain brewers that crush your own.

1) Subjectively, is crushing your own an enjoyable part of the brew day, or just a PITA chore?

2) Do you feel that crushing your own improves the predictability of your brewhouse efficiency?

3) Have you been able to improve the overall efficiency of your process by crushing your own vs. depending on your supplier's crush? If so, can you quantify your efficiency gains?

4) I'm leaning towards a Barley Crusher mill. It appears to fit my immediate needs and those for the forseeable future, and also seems to be a popular tool. If you've used one, would you recommend it? If you've used one and wouldn't recommend one, what would you recommend instead?

1) It's easy enough to do with a drill when waiting on water to come to temp for the mash. IMO it's a "don't care"
2) Absolutely, and predictability is the most important factor.
3) I get essentially 100% conversion in a short period of time and my lautering is much easier... no risk of stuck mashes, and so on (this is partly due to conditioning prior to crushing, but I will throw it in here since that is not an option with a LHBS crush). I know people with Corona mills or LHBS crushes that struggle mightily due to significantly less than 100% conversion and the filtering capability of their grainbed is also deficient.
4) 2 (or preferably 3) roller mill than can be adjusted and driven with a drill. Absolutely recommended.

Thanks, all for the comments so far.

3) I get essentially 100% conversion in a short period of time and my lautering is much easier... no risk of stuck mashes, and so on (this is partly due to conditioning prior to crushing, but I will throw it in here since that is not an option with a LHBS crush). I know people with Corona mills or LHBS crushes that struggle mightily due to significantly less than 100% conversion and the filtering capability of their grainbed is also deficient.

Can you elaborate on the "conditioning prior to crushing" portion of your comment? That's not something I'm familiar with.

1. With a Corona mill, I found it was a PITA. With a roller mill, it just takes a few minutes while my strike water is coming up to temp, and I find it enjoyable.
  2. I got no difference in efficiency between using store crushed grain, using the Corona mill, and using the roller mill. But, when I bought crushed grain, it was always properly crushed.
  3. No. See 2.
  4. I've never used a Barley Crusher so I can't comment. I've been using a JSP Malt Mill for the last 6 years, and have had no problems with it.
-a.

Although it's not the only consideration, and at the prices I get locally, I did the math and a Barley Crusher basically pays for itself after about 350 lbs of two-row bought in bulk and even faster with Maris Otter, etc. So it's not going to take more than 165 gallons (assuming 10lb/5gal batch) for a mill to pay for itself. But that's not really that big of a consideration - my interest in crushing my own is less about economic considerations than it is about taking ownership of more of the process because I want to.

A couple of beers prior to a visit to my LHBS got me into my crusher. :drunk: Come to think of it, I've come into possession of a lot of my equipment that way. Try it, you'll be surprised how fancy your brewhouse gets. Like you said, I like the participation in the process a lot more than the economics of it.

I have the MM2-2.0 mill and love it. I had a Barley Crusher before and while it did a good job of crushing, it can't compare with the MM2-2.0 mill. It doesn't take me long to crush the grain for my 6.5-7 gallon (boil end) batches. I usually fill one, or two, 22qt buckets (clear so I can see the crushed grain fall) or into a retired ale pail (I don't ferment in it anymore, so it at least get some use). I'm also at the point where I don't really care how many pounds/sacks of grain it takes before the monster has paid for itself. Being able to crush the grain on brew day, not long before doughing in, is priceless. Using a 18v cordless DeWalt drill (1/2" chuck) makes pretty easy work of it. It's a hammer drill, so the extra handle behind the chuck makes it much easier to hold steady. I might, eventually, mount the mill and use a fixed motor to drive it, but that's a way off.

Personally, I see crushing the grain as part of the fun of brew day. If I had to hand crank it, I'd probably feel very different. Of if I didn't have the drill I have to power it.

I have a Barley Crusher and love it. It takes about 3 minutes tops to chug through a normal grain bill with a power drill. My efficiency is nearly always between 77-80% which makes for a predictable brew day.

I guess I'm in the minority in that I like cranking my mill by hand. The wife bought me the Gunnar malt mill from ahbs and I love it. Consistent 75-80 eff. compared to the 65% I was getting prior. Def one of those tools that will pay for itself as well as increase the consistency in your brewing.

I have a Barley Crusher and love it. It takes about 3 minutes tops to chug through a normal grain bill with a power drill. My efficiency is nearly always between 77-80% which makes for a predictable brew day.

Me too. My efficiency is most commonly 79% across the board with a few small exceptions which are only small deviations.

Rev.

Back