Age high grav in secondary or keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcstout

Reaction score
This is my first batch of high gravity ale and want (need?) to age for a couple months. I've got a couple extra kegs but not an extra carboy.

Any (good) reasons to not rack to a keg after a couple weeks in the carboy secondary? Then give a shot of CO2 to seal the keg and chase the O2 and let her sit in the basement for a month or two.

Thoughts?

jcstout said:
This is my first batch of high gravity ale and want (need?) to age for a couple months. I've got a couple extra kegs but not an extra carboy.

Any (good) reasons to not rack to a keg after a couple weeks in the carboy secondary? Then give a shot of CO2 to seal the keg and chase the O2 and let her sit in the basement for a month or two.

Thoughts?

Cask condition in the keg and age it there. It's awesome.
You'll have to cut about 1 inch off the long inlet tube if you cask condition as to not suck up the yeast when serving. It's best to age after you have primed.

Ya think I'll still have as much as an inch of trub after 2 weeks of primary and another 2 weeks of secondary?

Back