advise on what to do with "bad" cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashurlow

Reaction score
So my first batch is no where near as tasty as my second batch. Now I have a bunch of bottles that I'm not interested in drinking. Any advise on how to improve cider. Its seems to be too dry and lacking of apple flavor.
The extreme option seems to be to open all the remaining bottles, mix with some sweetener and re-bottle. The really extreme option is to dump them.
scott

Let them sit for three months and try them again. That's my advise.

Let them age for 6-12 months and then try one... If still not what you want, give them another 6-12 months and try again... Rinse, repeat...

As everyone else has said, wait 6 months. If they still taste pretty terrible, make some apple cider vinegar :mug:

The 7th month has turned my undrinkable cider into a very good cider. I had not checked it for a couple of months so I don't know when the change happened.

I'm going to stand by my suggestion to check on it every 6 months for at least 1-2 years before deciding to do anything else with it... Depending on the ABV, and such, you might want to give it more time...

Once it's getting to a really good state, squirrel away a few bottles (or as many as you can)... Try one each year and see how it's progressed... You might find that after X years it's turned into something amazing. Of course, by then, you'll have precious few bottles remaining. :eek:

I agree with this. While leaving it sit for months on end will help too, if you're impatient or lacking in empty bottles, I highly recommend pouring a little juice into every glass before you add your cider.

I have been mixing it with Woodchuck Spring because I don't like the taste of the Spring cider. By mixing my first batch with the Spring Cider, it mellows both out into a very drinkable cider.
The rest I'll age instead of trying to redo it.

Back