The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1702645653201.png

We got a heck of a lot of rain, street is still flooded which backed up our pond's overflow pipe so the pond is larger than we've ever seen in 36 years here. But our home is on high ground so no harm done. I had to take a drive over to Boylston and saw the Assabet over its banks along the way so I'd expect the same of the Sudbury which means the Concord will be flooding soon...

Last edited:
Drove back today from MD.
And because I despise 84, and the GWBridge, I spend an extra 22 minutes by going up 87 to the Pike. Yes, a bit roundabout. Cue Yes. Anyhoo, the southern bit of 87 in NY was inches away from from needing channel markers, both red and green, due to high water all around.

But, rainbow, a little later on.
1702943560329.png

I would never willingly try to cross the GWB 🤬
One of my sons lives in northern NJ (Berkeley Heights, fwiw) and we always go 90 to 84 to 684 to 287 to 87 over the Cuomo to the GSP to 78.

84 is subject to choke points at Danbury, Waterbury, and Hartford, but it's still so much less aggravating than 95...

Cheers!

Last edited:
I skip 95 also. Unless it’s a million years ago when I was young, stupid, and could drive in the middle of the night. Then I’d do 95. I’m no longer young. I’m pretty sure I’m still stupid though, based on randomly sampled surveys of someone living in the house with me.

Get a little rain, did ya?
It’s rain and coastal flooding about a hour and half from high tide. Don’t believe the BS that “living shoreline” is better than a sea wall. It’s good for stopping erosion, and I think the puking village idiots didn’t really follow what the ACE authorized. Anyway yeah, I live by the water and shiz like this happens… I choose it but this flipping work they did to make things better has changed the numbers and has also likely made the flood zone wider. Stay safe up there. @TheDudeLebowski that is not something I would want to see in person! Wow!

That's up north in the mountains in areas i vacation. The poor people got pummeled at the beginning of the year and looks like some ski areas are impacted. They got all this rain in a quick 12 hrs and couldn't hold it. Again.

It’s rain and coastal flooding about a hour and half from high tide. Don’t believe the BS that “living shoreline” is better than a sea wall. It’s good for stopping erosion, and I think the puking village idiots didn’t really follow what the ACE authorized. Anyway yeah, I live by the water and shiz like this happens… I choose it but this flipping work they did to make things better has changed the numbers and has also likely made the flood zone wider. Stay safe up there. @TheDudeLebowski that is not something I would want to see in person! Wow!
Hoppy, you sound a lil miffed ...

Hoppy, you sound a lil miffed ...
You are correct Smurf! Yes I am! I spent a few hours of my life sitting in a village board meeting where I was lied to about this project on the bay. I had asked two clear and unambiguous questions one about the elevation and one about the potential height of the plants that would be used. The elevation answer was a lie, (or someone just pocketed the grant money that was to be spent on hauling away soil.) the plants, well that remains to be seen, for all I know they may have been uprooted and washed away yesterday.

All the yes, yes it’s a choice that I live by the shore, was a preemptive strategy. Sort of like, even if you think I’m a fool for living close to the water, just keep it to yourself I’ve heard it all before, particularly when rebuilding after Sandy. This is home and it’s beautiful 95% of the time. Now today, with the shizle all over and no water in the house about 10 in of stanky brackish water that invaded the garage and a bit of clean up to do…

Ya know, the worst thing about it was missing the HBC holiday party, and guess who brewer of the year is? LOL

View attachment 836842

Glad I prepped for this storm yesterday. Fudge!

That phragmites grass tells me your garage is indeed in a wet spot. Best of luck, we see a lot of that sort of thing around here as well.

Funny thing about that species of grass, around here is it is considered an unwanted invasive, but since it is always in a wetland, one has to get a permit to mow or try to remove it.

That phragmites grass tells me your garage is indeed in a wet spot. Best of luck, we see a lot of that sort of thing around here as well.

Funny thing about that species of grass, around here is it is considered an unwanted invasive, but since it is always in a wetland, one has to get a permit to mow or try to remove it.
Yes sir, you know your business, the previous owners had a makeshift drywell for gray water and the galvanized pipe that was under the surface eventually collapsed leading me to temporarily run a pvc pipe into what we call the swamp. Some passerby evidently made a report to DEC . When the armed officer knocked at the door hubby nearly 💩, so I answered the questions. He wanted to know if it is my property, what’s gray water, and if I was certain there was no stream 🙄. No citations .

...and a new, suspiciously well fertilized, nosy busybody shaped patch of grass in The Swamp?
A dude across the street had dug out two small “pools” in front of his house wheeled the dirt across the street and dumped it at the edge of the swamp… it was nice and neat like someone buried a body. The least he could have done was spread it out a little. 🤣
I have read the feds regs and to say there seems to be some ambiguity is an understatement and I’m not a lawyer. I’ve heard of instances where property owners have cleared them and received a hefty fine, but the little patches 1/4 acre or so are no where near the 12 hectares that are really protected. Additionally, I’ve read that it‘s permissible to harvest the“reeds” but not add fill without a permit. (which would dry out the land) I do cut it back and really should cut it back from the garage, that apparently is also permissible, but the part at the curb is cut by the municipality, since they are allowed to do so without consequences.

Yes sir, you know your business, the previous owners had a makeshift drywell for gray water and the galvanized pipe that was under the surface eventually collapsed leading me to temporarily run a pvc pipe into what we call the swamp. Some passerby evidently made a report to DEC . When the armed officer knocked at the door hubby nearly 💩, so I answered the questions. He wanted to know if it is my property, what’s gray water, and if I was certain there was no stream 🙄. No citations .

Never seen a armed conservation enforcement agent around here, they tend to be nerdish types w clipboards (and I say that in the most respectful way).

But they can impose expensive remediation plans and fines if one ignores their first and second warning.

Rain or white stuff, I just don’t want more of this stuff for a while.
IMG_0106.jpeg
Really old photo taken after Sandy. The little gray crap box was only demolished a few months ago and new house is in the works. The two story homes are gone. Stay safe, it looks like I’ll just get rain or a trace of snow on Sunday.

Back