What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mmm good

image-3030288029.jpg

"Groovy Sunday" at South Austin Brewing Co. Starting with their saison. It's ok. Peppery, but slightly sweet. Good deal tho, $10 for the glass and 4 pours. Live band too and you can trade the glass for a shirt if you want. Just wish the beer was better and they had more options.

Being open a year and only 2 beers is really bad. Both are not really good. That one may fail. Sad really.

Finally picked up saison-brett. I have just been passing it up in stores. Gotta give it a try

ForumRunner_20130707_165730.png

DisturbdChemist said:
Being open a year and only 2 beers is really bad. Both are not really good. That one may fail. Sad really.

Yea, sounds like they've got some other stuff lined up, but mostly small batches to be available at the tap room only. Talking with an employee who says they just wanted to focus on getting these two right for the first year. If this is the best of that focused effort, I agree, they might not make it. Apparently they recently had a bourbon aged version of the saison. Does not sound appealing.

EDIT: having another Belgian Golden. Might not get my fourth pour. Too hot in this darn warehouse and the band is done playing.

DisturbdChemist said:
Hey, maybe I can pick up a slightly used brew house for cheap when they do. ;)
Finally picked up saison-brett. I have just been passing it up in stores. Gotta give it a try

It's pretty good. I enjoy it.

WesleyS said:

They've got a decent space. Definitely not using it to full potential tho. Tap room is 'under construction'. I see some boards in the adjoining room, that's about it. They need a bigger conditioning room if they're serious about barrel-aged and sours too.

My wheat-based beer:

3:1:1 Wheat:Gambrinus ESB:Maris Otter
Wyeast 3333
1oz. Chinook - bitter (60m)
1/3 Citra (30)
1/3 Citra (15)
1/3 Citra (10)

It is very bitter, and I am really digging the results. It should mellow out in a few weeks, but I'm sure it'll be gone by then.

Up next, drink-wise: mineral water, for the rest of the night.

It's pretty good. I enjoy it.

They have a 60bbl brew house I think. Pretty big. I havent swung by the brewery yet but im sure I wont, depends. They better get their act together or they are going down especially with all the great breweries around them. The two brews they have seems really rushed. The one I had was so over carbonated the cork almost put a hole in the ceiling.

DisturbdChemist said:
The two brews they have seems really rushed. The one I had was so over carbonated the cork almost put a hole in the ceiling.

Hah! Funny you say that, because both are undercarbed from the tap here.

And who was I kidding. 1 more Belgian Golden for the road. It's free at this point after all.

Hah! Funny you say that, because both are undercarbed from the tap here.

And who was I kidding. 1 more Belgian Golden for the road. It's free at this point after all.

That is funny. Plus they charge $13 for a 750 c&c bottle. No thank you.

That is the spirit. You paid for 4 you get four ;)

Y'know what? I think my toe might be broken (again), so I might have another. I've broken both of my big toes within six months of each other, each in an undignified manner:

1. Feb. 2009 - while walking home from a Chicago pub with my brother, we jumped over a substantial puddle of water (it was an unseasonably HOT day, and the cross walk was otherwise inaccessible); I led with my right foot, and I felt something shift with my left, which didn't move. While I landed safely, it took me a half-hour to remove my shoe. I spent the rest of the weekend trying to block out the pain (I failed).

2. Aug. 2009 - I woke up late for a blood drive, so I frantically had to put on pants. I stubbed my toe, and I noticed the pain not subsiding after five minutes. To quite literally add insult to injury, they botched my blood donation.

Four years later, and I've done it again. My life really is going nowhere.

Rye of the Tiger from Great Lakes! This is a great ipa! Commodore perry used to be my go to, but this is replacing it! Spent the afternoon prepping for brew day Monday! Rockin out an imperial red called Red Planet Vagrants. Finished rolling our wort chiller, 50 ft of copper rolled was a pain, but will be brilliant!

NIZZLE said:
Ok I just had this not bad if you have a vagina :-D

We just snagged some! It's pretty good! More of a novelty and will make candy in your stomach with more than a couple!

DisturbdChemist said:
They have a 60bbl brew house I think. Pretty big.

And apparently it's 150bbl. 3 50bbl conicals, plus 10 gal test batches. They plan to have 10 taps in the new tap room, mostly small batches. Got talking to the brewmaster Jordan, wants to do only Belgians, incl. sours and barrel aged. Dude smokes like a chimney (4 cigs in the time we were talking?). Maybe his palate is just blown out. Got some common ground tho as he was also an IT consultant for 15 years prior to going full-time brewing.

And apparently it's 150bbl. 3 50bbl conicals, plus 10 gal test batches. They plan to have 10 taps in the new tap room, mostly small batches. Got talking to the brewmaster Jordan, wants to do only Belgians, incl. sours and barrel aged. Dude smokes like a chimney (4 cigs in the time we were talking?). Maybe his palate is just blown out. Got some common ground tho as he was also an IT consultant for 15 years prior to going full-time brewing.

No wonder the beer is bad. He cant taste it lol. I ment the mash/ boil kettle I think is 60 what I read. Hopefully they have a new beer soon or sours but IT turn master brewer that is a chimney doesnt work

NoKatoBrewer said:
Rye of the Tiger from Great Lakes! This is a great ipa! Commodore perry used to be my go to, but this is replacing it! Spent the afternoon prepping for brew day Monday! Rockin out an imperial red called Red Planet Vagrants. Finished rolling our wort chiller, 50 ft of copper rolled was a pain, but will be brilliant!

That is definitely a fantastic IPA! GL makes some damn good beers and this one is at the top of the list right along side Edmund Fitzgerald!

tyzippers said:
That is definitely a fantastic IPA! GL makes some damn good beers and this one is at the top of the list right along side Edmund Fitzgerald!

Amen to that, brotha!

Back