Gelatin- works 50% of the time??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhermetz

Reaction score
... I had a unique situation where I was going to transfer 2 beers into secondaries for clearing with Gelatin on the same day.

So I made up a larger quantity of Gelatin to split between the 2 beers:

Munich Helles - used Muntons premium Gold (experiementing)
Cream of 3 Crops - used S-05

This morning I check up on the beers, 3 days since the Gelatin was added. My Cream of 3 Crops was brilliantly clear but my Munich is still as cloudy as a wheat beer.

Now I can reasonably take out of the equation how I made my gelatin. I did do one thing differently however. With the Cream of 3 Crops I racked the beer onto the Gelatin. On the Munich Helles I poured the gelatin into the already racked beer.

I've heard that pouring the gelatin into the beer will not be as effective as racking onto the gelatin but it should still clear after 3 days. So what is going on? Could it be the yeast is just to stubborn to fall out with the gelatin?

Gelatin doesn't pull yeast out of suspension, it binds to proteins and tannins. Some other finings do bind to yeast (e.g., polycar), though.

To clear yeast, you need to either (1) filter with a 1 micron (absolute) cartridge, (2) cold crash at < 40F for a few days, or (3) wait several weeks at room temperature.

Gelatin doesn't pull yeast out of suspension, it binds to proteins and tannins. Some other finings do bind to yeast (e.g., polycar), though.

To clear yeast, you need to either (1) filter with a 1 micron (absolute) cartridge, (2) cold crash at < 40F for a few days, or (3) wait several weeks at room temperature.
I'm hesitant to question you lamarguy but my understanding (or lack of it) is that gelatin and isinglass (both high in collagen IIRC) are both positively charged (at beer pH) and attract the negatively charged yeast cells. IOW, I thought pulling yeast out of suspension was exactly what these two fining agents are for.

And I remember from trying to fine a beer that I thought had tannin astringency that polyclar would be best for that.

Maybe I got lysdexic on this though.

I'm hesitant to question you lamarguy but my understanding (or lack of it) is that gelatin and isinglass (both high in collagen IIRC) are both positively charged (at beer pH) and attract the negatively charged yeast cells. IOW, I thought pulling yeast out of suspension was exactly what these two fining agents are for.

And I remember from trying to fine a beer that I thought had tannin astringency that polyclar would be best for that.

Maybe I got lysdexic on this though.

Not all proteins are charged the same. Negatively charged proteins and yeast will be affected by gelatin/isinglass

I'm hesitant to question you lamarguy

Ha, really? I just read articles and papers and post like it's fact or something. :D

I have been told my avatar leads some people to believe I'm yelling at them. Turns out they haven't watched Scrubs. ;)

Gelatin and isinglass (both high in collagen IIRC) are both positively charged (at beer pH) and attract the negatively charged yeast cells. IOW, I thought pulling yeast out of suspension was exactly what these two fining agents are for.

Yes, I agree that gelatin and isinglass are equivalent beer/wine finings. However, everything I've read says they are not efficient binders for yeast. Gelatin may encourage flocculation to some extent, but I'm not convinced it is very effective.

Here is a good, in-depth paper about the use of gelatin as a fining. It talks about the efficacy for binding to protein and tannins.

Polycar (PVPP) is also excellent at binding to tannins, I was just trying to address the OP's question. It's also supposed to be an excellent binder for yeast.

Large breweries (that use finings) don't use gelatin for a reason, it's not as efficient as the synthetic finings. They're trying to get product out the door and the additional expense is justified. We, as homebrewers, are are a different timetable.

After reading Fix's book and conducting a few trial runs, I'm a firm believer in ice stabilization. That's right, gently freeze your beer (e.g., 29F) and it will love you for it. :)

Ha, really? I just read articles and papers and post like it's fact or something.
Sounds like someone I know.:D

I have been told my avatar leads some people to believe I'm yelling at them. Turns out they haven't watched Scrubs.
I rarely watch any TV series but saw the beginning of that like a month ago. I was like: Hey that's lamarguy! Didn't even recognize he was that Bud Light commercial dude. Thanks for the link.

I have been told my avatar leads some people to believe I'm yelling at them. Turns out they haven't watched Scrubs. ;)

So you're just mocking us with harsh sarcasm, then? :p

Yes, I agree that gelatin and isinglass are equivalent beer/wine finings. However, everything I've read says they are not efficient binders for yeast. Gelatin may encourage flocculation to some extent, but I'm not convinced it is very effective.

Here is a good, in-depth paper about the use of gelatin as a fining. It talks about the efficacy for binding to protein and tannins.

Why remove 100% of the yeast? Gelatin removes a good percentage and still leaves enough top bottle carb/condition if you wish.

Polycar (PVPP) is also excellent at binding to tannins, I was just trying to address the OP's question. It's also supposed to be an excellent binder for yeast.

Large breweries (that use finings) don't use gelatin for a reason, it's not as efficient as the synthetic finings. They're trying to get product out the door and the additional expense is justified. We, as homebrewers, are are a different timetable.

Commercial breweries are also overdoing the concern about the "brightness" of their beer/wort to the point that they have removed all the necessary fatty acids and adjuncts that contribute to healthy and rapid yeast growth and multiplication. They make up for it in other ways (to some extent), but I believe they are overdoing it. JMO.

Here is a summary paper on lauter turbidity and wort clarity that provides some background (and a lot of existing study references) and conveniently enough supports my position:

http://www.scientificsocieties.org/jib/papers/2006/G-2006-1016-468.pdf

So the conclusion to all this is Gelatin doesn't drop yeasties out... but then I have to ask... Why did it do it so brilliantly for my Cream of 3 Crops?

So the conclusion to all this is Gelatin doesn't drop yeasties out... but then I have to ask... Why did it do it so brilliantly for my Cream of 3 Crops?

Gelatin helps drop some yeast and some negatively charged proteins out of the beer, but it is not a substitute for using high quality malts, generating good break, and brewing with proper water conditions and pH, IMO.

Gelatin helps drop some yeast and some negatively charged proteins out of the beer, but it is not a substitute for using high quality malts, generating good break, and brewing with proper water conditions and pH, IMO.

okay well that's true... but both beers had equal conditions. Although Cream of 3 Crops has less malt to make room for rice & corn.

Maybe it's just the type of yeast I used? maybe Munton's Gold premium needs longer to settle out.

Although Cream of 3 Crops has less malt to make room for rice & corn.

Well, you probably just answered your own question. The types, sizes, and charges of the proteins produced by the different adjuncts are going to be significantly different from malted grains...

You're making an apples-to-oranges comparison.

So you're just mocking us with harsh sarcasm, then? :p

Ha...Yup, I try my best to be smart$ass when possible. :D ;)

Commercial breweries are also overdoing the concern about the "brightness" of their beer/wort to the point that they have removed all the necessary fatty acids and adjuncts that contribute to healthy and rapid yeast growth and multiplication. They make up for it in other ways (to some extent), but I believe they are overdoing it.

There's definitely a trade off. Low turbidity wort has been show to produce beers with longer flavor stability (due to less fatty acid reactions). But, high turbidity beers show improved yeast metabolic activity (due to the increased number of CO2 nucleation sites and amino acids from the increased protein counts).

That said, I would certainly shoot for low turbidity wort, but, as you mentioned, there is a point of diminishing returns. :)

Both beers had equal conditions. Maybe it's just the type of yeast I used?

Correct, yeast flocculation varies greatly between strains. But there are numerous other factors for haze that are being ignored for now.

US-05 is an excellent flocculator. I've never used Munton's Gold, so I can't attest to it's flocculation characteristics. I can assure you of one thing - bring the temperature down close to freezing (e.g., 32F) and, if the beer is still hazy, it's not yeast in suspension, it's protein.

That said, I would certainly shoot for low turbidity wort, but, as you mentioned, there is a point of diminishing returns. :)

Yep, I think most homebrewers won't have to worry about stability, as the beer won't last long enough, and a moderately bright wort will be likely to supply a proper balance for most brewers who don't have laboratory-style yeast facilities and nutrient monitoring programs and desire a pretty clear beer. Good quality malts, proper water/pH, good hot and cold break formations and most brewers should be golden...

I do think we tend to go overboard while missing some of the more obvious points for improvement...

Correct, yeast flocculation varies greatly between strains. But there are numerous other factors for haze that are being ignored for now.

US-05 is an excellent flocculator. I've never used Munton's Gold, so I can't attest to it's flocculation characteristics. I can assure you of one thing - bring the temperature down close to freezing (e.g., 32F) and, if the beer is still hazy, it's not yeast in suspension, it's protein.

in which case the Gelatin should have taken care of it then..no?

well.... i'm home from work now and well... it's half clear. I stuck it in the fridge last night which was at 36 degrees...so I guess that's working.

Back