1 gallon jugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sum1Stu

Reaction score
I recently found a gold mine of glass 1 gallon jugs. There was about 20 of them, I grabbed at least 8.

I noticed later on that some had a label containing some kind of "acid", another bunch had labels but ripped/decayed away.

I notice on the bottom of each jug is an etching of the number "4", and some have "2". Is there a hazardous listing for glass products that I could take a look at ? Id feel alot safer just throwing out the ones that were used for chemicals.

If all that was in them was acid, as someone in another thread said, "-they'll never be cleaner than they are right now."

Use some Oxi-Clean or PBW on them; if they look clean after that, I'd say you're good to go.

well it's weird that they have numbers on them being glass... I guess since it is glass the number means nothing.

but for plastics this is what the numbers mean:
#1 PETE: Polyethylene Terephthalate.
Commonly used in soft drinks, juice, and cough syrup containers and microwave trays.
#2 HDPE: High Density Polyethylene.
Commonly used in milk jugs, detergent and shampoo bottles.
#3 V: Polyvinyl Chloride.
Commonly used in film for meat packaging and some rigid plastic containers.
#4 LDPE: Low Density Polyethylene.
Commonly used in newspaper and grocery bags and butter cups lids.
#5 PP: Polypropylene.
Commonly used in yogurt containers and deli trays.
#6 PS: Polystyrene.
Commonly used in plastic cups and plates and to-go containers.
#7 OTHER: Other mixed resins.
Commonly used in mixed plastic containers or plastic products.

1 and 2 are ok. the rest are a gamble.

It's extremely unlikely there is anything in the glass that will leach out. Consider: high lead content glass is prized as crystal and it's never killed anyone.

Don't take this as gospel as I'm no scientist but...

Acids are water soluble, so the hell good rinse with hot water should remove most residues.

I doubt it will give you any dramas.

I reckon the number doesn't mean anything unless it's coupled with some sort of symbol, probably just a number so they can link it to the mold it came from.

Latest posts

Back