FG not reached again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhunkyPhresh

Reaction score
It seems to me that my 2nd batch is going the same way as my 1st one. The fermenation took off like crazy for the 1st 24-36 hrs then immediately no activity in the airlock. I know activity in airlock doesnt mean a thing, but my 1st batch did the same thing and I missed the FG by alot. Is there anything i can do to get it going again besides repitching the yeast unfortunately I dont have more and the closest brew shop is 2hrs away.

What temp are you fermenting at? how much yeast did you pitch and what was your original gravity reading? I'm assuming that when you say you missed your FG, you mean you didn't get enough attenuation from your yeast, and not too much, right?

You can't really compare one fermentation to another with any accuracy...wait 10 days and check the gravity, and see where you're at. It's too early to think about re-pitching IMO, and it usually doesn't work that well anyway. Agitate the fermenter a little bit (try not to splash though) to keep the yeast in action, and try to keep it above 65 and it should finish up if you give it enough time. 2 weeks is even better. I don't even check the gravity of my brews before 10-14 days, and so far I've never had one that was more than a couple of points off.

Temp is extremely important during fermentation. I would swirl around the beer and get the yeast activated again.

Just leave the damn thing alone. It hasn't even been 2 days and you are thinking about pitching yeast again. Do as isfishsum said and wait until day 10 and take a reading.

Just leave the damn thing alone. It hasn't even been 2 days and you are thinking about pitching yeast again. Do as isfishsum said and wait until day 10 and take a reading.

I agree. 2 days is hardly enough time. BE PATIENT...or you'll just be constantly frustrated with this hobby.

thanks for the info guys it is probably my temp it has been hard to keep it at a constant 65-70 degrees with it being rainy and all over the weekend. it is a hefe kit. also it was only a packet of dry yeast should I be pitching more than just the one packet.

Back