Lager Yeast Starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COLDbreak

Reaction score
In your opinion how long should lager yeast starter let ferment before pitching? and what temp.? Is 67 deg F ok just to get it going.. I'm using a German Lager YeastWLP830...

I just did a 2 qt. starter on a stirplate with that same yeast. I was told that room temp is fine for making a lager starter (though I was sure to decant before pitching)... the advice I was given is that "you're not making beer, you're making yeast." So I think you are fine with the temp.

In my experience the lager yeast seemed to ferment the starter wort out thoroughly pretty quickly - even faster than ale yeast. I bet you would likely hit FG in your starter within 48 hours, especially if you are continually stirring/shaking or using a stirplate.

How large was your starter?
Are you using a stirplate?

Room temp is fine for doing a lager starter. Make a starter that is twice the size of your ale starter, for the same strength brew. I would let it ferment for a few days until it starts to settle, then decant, then pitch.

I am doing a starter right now of the WL Southern German Lager that is a little over a month past its "Best By" date and it has been on a stirplate for about 18 hours now and I still haven't really seen any krausen or activity. Do you think its bad or should I add some yeast nutrient?

I am doing a starter right now of the WL Southern German Lager that is a little over a month past its "Best By" date and it has been on a stirplate for about 18 hours now and I still haven't really seen any krausen or activity. Do you think its bad or should I add some yeast nutrient?

It takes a little longer to see activity with a lager starter. This morning was roughly 40 hours since I made my starter (Bohemian Lager) on thursday afternoon. When I left my house to go to a class, I saw very little activity. At 12pm when I returned, there was a full kreusen.

I don't use a stir plate and I don't shake it after fermentation starts. I will cold crash it on tuesday, and either brew that day or add a little more wort to get it going again after siphoning the first wort off then brew thursday (depending on scheduling).

Back