When do I add flavor concentrates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrigh1st

Reaction score
I am making a simple cherry wheat using a bottle of cherry flavor concentrate I got from my local brew store. When is the best time to add this?

Add the fruit as the fermentation is dying off. Depending on how rapid your fermentation started, should be 48-72 hours after you pitched, but this is highly variable. Considering you will want to let this beer sit on the fruit for a while, you want to consider a secondary conditioning. This is about the only time I even use a secondary. Add your extract to a secondary and then rack your beer from the primary fermentor into the secondary just as fermentation is ending. You will see increased activity in your secondary. If you purchased the extract from your LHBS there is no need to worry about boiling or sterilizing the extract.

Is there a large differance in adding the extract to the primary and not the secondary? I was looking to do the same recipe for my next batch and I won't have an extra Ale pale or Carboy to use for a secondary.

Extract should be added to the bottling bucket or keg. Real fruit, concentrate/puree/fresh should be added to the secondary. The longer you wait to add the extract, the more of the aromatics will be retained.

Extract should be added to the bottling bucket or keg. Real fruit, concentrate/puree/fresh should be added to the secondary. The longer you wait to add the extract, the more of the aromatics will be retained.

Awesome! SWMBO can't wait for the cherry wheat!

I am gonna do my summer wheat series for my next batch, a blueberry and a rasberry.
The brewmaster whom I took a homebrew class at his location, said put the flavor extract in the bottleling batch ( right when you go to bottle it ) I am making 6 gallons and will transfer 3 to my bottling bucket and add blueberry then when that is bottled ,siphon the other 3 to the same bucket ( no rinse ) and add the rasberry. This way I get two summer tastes from one 6 gallon batch. "Brilliant"

Back