So maybe hops aren't that bad after all....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumberjackJohn

Reaction score
Well, I have always been a little scared of hops. Hearing about "bittering hops" and IBUs made me scared to even go near a hop. I didn't want to see them, taste them, or smell them. I didn't even want to know they existed.

However, when I brewed my most recent batch of beer the day after Thanksgiving, I decided to be bold. I cut open my pouch of hop pellets and I......smelled them. And they - smelled - GREAT! They were Cascade and the aroma was nice and tangy and simply wonderful. Then the other day, I went into the local liquor store trying to find Hot Sex for my girlfriend (wow doesn't that sound dirty), and I saw a bottle of Twisted Thistle IPA. I remember someone telling me that IPAs were supposedly all the rage now, so I figured WTH I'll get the bottle. It was 500ml for about $4. Got it home, opened it up and took a big swig. Man was it amazing! After I brew my Porter, I'm going to attempt an IPA. Anyone know any good extract recipes?

God bless hops!!

Scared of hops? Scared of hops? I'm so stunned I'm repeating myself.
Hops are God's give to us all. Good job facing your fears. Now hop the hell out of some beer.:D

Yeah I was really surprised how pleasant they and the IPA were. It makes me want to just boil some water with hops in it lol. I need more money because I have the bug bad!

I also thought I didn't like hops until I started brewing. Turns out that nasty flavor you get from mass produced swill isn't hop flavor at all. Who knew?

I do like some hop presence in my beer but some brewers just go too far. I had a Sam Adams Imperial Pilsner and it was awful! Tasted like someone took a bud and added grapefruit juice and crushed up asprin. This was by far the worst beer I have ever had the misfortune of coming across.

I do like some hop presence in my beer but some brewers just go too far. I had a Sam Adams Imperial Pilsner and it was awful! Tasted like someone took a bud and added grapefruit juice and crushed up asprin. This was by far the worst beer I have ever had the misfortune of coming across.

funny. one of the only pilseners I've ever been able to finish.

I guess everyone has their own tastes. Now that I am a homebrewer, albeit only ten gallons under my belt, I have been branching out in my beer drinking. Tonight I bought a sixer of New Belgium Sunshine Wheat, which was all right, and a 550ml bottle of Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, which is amazing! I love expanding my beer horizons!!

I guess everyone has their own tastes. Now that I am a homebrewer, albeit only ten gallons under my belt, I have been branching out in my beer drinking. Tonight I bought a sixer of New Belgium Sunshine Wheat, which was all right, and a 550ml bottle of Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, which is amazing! I love expanding my beer horizons!!

The Samuel Smith line is top notch. I think both their Taddy Porter and Oatmeal Stout are quite good. If you like dark beers, try Gonzo Imperial Porter by Flying Dog Brewery.

After I brew my Porter, I'm going to attempt an IPA. Anyone know any good extract recipes?

Try this one. It's mine and it came out really good. Haven't been able to get any unbiased feedback on it yet, but I compared it side by side with Boulder Brewing Co's Mojo IPA and, being as objective as possible, I thought mine was better.

Back