Pretty sure I'm effed...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMU_Alumn08

Reaction score
So its been about 24 hrs now and no bubbles or any signs of fermentation. Used White Labs 320 yeast. Pitched at about 75 degrees. Only worry was it took me a while to cool the wort. Almost 10 hours. Had it pretty well contained though. Are my lil yeast buddies dead?! Or am I just impatient? BAHHHHHH:drunk:

24 hours and you're worried? Pfft...wait til you hit 72 hours and then start to worry.

Its all good.

RELAX HAVE A HOME BREW.

My first batch in 10 years had 48 hour lag, took off like a rocket and needed to install a blow-off tube.

you'll be fine.

Unless you use a starter, it will almost always take over 24 hours to see visible signs of fermentation. During that time they are adapting to the wort composition, reproducing, and fermenting aerobically until all available free oxygen is used up. Visible fermentation doesn't occur until after anaerobic fermentation causes CO2 saturation in the wort, which can be several hours after anaerobic fermentation actually starts.

Using a starter significantly shortens the adaptive phase and amount of reproduction. My lag times are typically 6-12 hours depending on the yeast strain and size of my starter...

Ten hours to cool the wort?? I didn't realize I needed to quickly cool the wort on my first batch, but even sitting on the counter at room temp it was around pitching temp in just a few hours.

Regardless, I'm sure everything will work out fine. Have fun! :mug:

Ten hours is a hella long time. If you don't have a chiller or something at least use an ice bath in the sink.

Just be patient and usually things will turn out fine. If you crack open the first bottle from this batch and it doesn't taste good just let it sit for a while longer and it will get better.

Seriously consider finding a good method for chilling the wort. An ice bath is probably the cheapest and easiest to start with, but if you don't mind spending a bit of $, find an immersion chiller (copper tubing coil with fitting on the end that you can pump cold water through) or a Counterflow Chiller (similar, but different).

Cooling the wort quickly is a great way to improve your beer and speed up the brewing process.

yea I tried an ice bath but my pot couldn't fit in my sink so I freaked out and just covered it and put it outside in 25 degree weather. it still took foreverrrr to get down to around 75. I now have a giant tub like thing to put it in with ice water. hopefully this batch is still good!

yea I tried an ice bath but my pot couldn't fit in my sink so I freaked out and just covered it and put it outside in 25 degree weather. it still took foreverrrr to get down to around 75. I now have a giant tub like thing to put it in with ice water. hopefully this batch is still good!

LOL the first batch I ever made was in January (about 12-15 years ago, I think) and it was about ten below outside. I put the pot of wort on the porch to cool it. After a couple hours with poor results, I stuck the pot in a snowbank. Better, but still too slow. Let's just say that an immersion chiller was may first homebrewing purchase after the starter kit.

Back