Orange/Cascade Brew Day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
Orange Pale Ale
Brew Target Statistics
Style American Pale Ale
Efficiency 70.00 %
Pre-boil Volume 7.40 gallons
OG 1.056
IBU 36.5
Mash Ratio 1.15 qt/l
Post-boil Volume 5.30 gallons US
FG 1.014
SRM 6.4
Mash Time 60 min
Boil Time 90 min
Yeast Safale S-04
ABV 5.5 %
Evaporation 1.4 gallons/HR
Attenuation 75.00 %

Mash Schedule
alpha 155 F Mash in with 3.4 gallons US of water at 170.0 F
sparge 170 F Sparge with 5.6 gallons US at 170.0F to collect 7.4 gallons US

Fermentables
Name Quantity Percent Extract Potential SRM Method
American Crystal 10L 1 lb 8.3 %
Marris Otter 10 lb 83.3 %
Vienna 1 lb 8.3 %
Totals: 12 pounds 100%

Misc
Name Amount Stage Time
Orange peel 2 ounces Boil 10
Coriander 1 ounces Boil 10

Hops
Name Quantity Form Alpha Stage Time
Cascade 0.75 oz Leaf 7.4 FWH 90
Cascade 1 oz Leaf 7.4 Boil 15
Cascade 1 oz Leaf 7.4 Boil 5
Cascade 0.75 oz Leaf 7.4 Boil 1
Cascade 2 oz Leaf 7.4 Dry 0
Totals: 5.5 ounces 36.5 IBU

Carbonation
CO2 Volume Presure Serving Temp
2.5 11.25 psi 38.0F

Keg2- Oktoberfest
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Here is my haul this week from B3... yum!

BrewHaul.jpg

Keg2- Oktoberfest
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Mashed in at 11:20am at 154.5F.... started the recirc with the HLT at 157F and kept the mash at 154.5 the entire mash. Mashing out now while ramping up the HLT temp to 175F, and eating lunch!. I also had to go out and buy a couple SS scrubber pads so that I can use them to keep the leaf hops out of my dip tube in my kettle... whew! During this process I also kegged a beer and noticed that the two in the kegerator are about half empty.... errr, will this never end!!?

haha man, busy day!

This recipe sounds delicious, I will have to try this after my porter.

Got the FWH in there, sparging now, have the flows matched up, should be able to kick back and let it run until the grain bed runs dry... I am running off a little more and boiling for 90 mins, to see if I can improve my eff. a little. I have been right around 70%, Id like to pick up a few points.

Keg2- Oktoberfest
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Got the rolling boil at 1:40pm... cleaning up the MLT and running a hot Star San solution through the rig.

Keg2- Oktoberfest
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Sounds mighty tasty!!

Question about the FWH for the Cascade. As a batch sparger....I'm assuming I could just drain my MLT onto some hops in my bottling bucket....let them steep so to speak until my two sparge additions are collected and then add to Kettle and boil?

I actaully don't add my 1st runnings to the Kettle until my second rinsing is in the MLT as I only use have 1 pot

Sounds mighty tasty!!

Question about the FWH for the Cascade. As a batch sparger....I'm assuming I could just drain my MLT onto some hops in my bottling bucket....let them steep so to speak until my two sparge additions are collected and then add to Kettle and boil?

I actaully don't add my 1st runnings to the Kettle until my second rinsing is in the MLT as I only use have 1 pot

It would probably work fine to use another vessel, then add to the boil pot when you're ready. For FWH, you're just letting them steep in the wort while you sparge. Supposed to impart a mellower bitterness. Does it? Not sure, but I always do it these days.

I agree, it should work fine, you are just trying to steep the hops in the warm wort while you sparge, that is all... should be just as good.

About 45 minutes into the boil... everything is cleaned and sanitized... I ran my garden hose into my garage under the door, and the IC hot water exhaust out under the door as well... cold weather brewing! Have the MLT and HERMS plumbing all cleaned out as well.

I had about a half gallon of 1.008 wort left in the grain bed when I reached my pre-boil volume, I have pretty much nailed down my water volumes on this rig now.

Keg2- Oktoberfest
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

I just measured out my 10 minute hops, the orange peel and crushed coriander and put it all in the dish on the scale, OMG!!! It smells soooo good together, I cannot wait to smell it in the boil!

Keg2- Oktoberfest
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

First time I have ever tried this, but I took a small quantity of that 1.008 wort that was left after I reached my pre-boil volume and boiled it on the stove, cooled it, and rehydrated my S-04 in it... I have never seen anything so frothy in my life (regarding rehydrating yeast)... apparently they are going to like thier new home!

Keg2- Oktoberfest
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

In the fermentor now... FG was 1.056, exactly 70% eff. SO, I guess that is all I can squeeze out of this thing until I get a mill and start milling my own grain. The crush was "ok" but could have been noticeably finer. Typical mail order crush.

Mash was 60 mins @ 155F
Mashout 15 mins @ 168F
Sparge 45 mins @ 168F
Boil 90 mins
Pre-boil volume 7.4 gallons
Post boil volume 5.3 gallons
Fermentor 5.0 gallons

4:40 is what it took to get this brew in the books, not bad for a 90 minute boil!

Keg2- Oktoberfest
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Well, 5 hours in the fermentor and it is bubbling away happily in a cool dark place! I have had some very quick starts with S-04, even with no starter.

EDIT: BTW, the SS scrubby pad worked EXCELLENT for keeping the hops and gunk out of my pick-up tube and fermentor. It also doubled as a keg scrubber when I was finished!

Dude, you seriously have to get on the BarleyCrusher bandwagon. I went from 60-70% before to 90% batch sparging after. Of course I crush my grain to oblivion and always add rice hulls :/

As long as I dont stick my recirc... Id be good to go. I used to get 78% when I had a different HBS... but now I am relegated to 70%.

Okay I just kegged this beer and it is AMAZING! This was my first attempt at FWH'ing my beer and it is incredible! There is not a lot of the orange flavor in it, BUT the cascade bitterness, flavor and aroma all bend together SO well. This is the most complex and consistent hop bitterness, flavor and aroma I have ever tasted! AMAZING, I am a FWH'er for life!

I am going to brew Orange/Cascade APA 2.0 in Dec. This is what I plan.

Orange Pale Ale
Brew Target Statistics
Style American Pale Ale
Efficiency 70.00 %
Pre-boil Volume 7.40 gallons
OG 1.058
IBU 37.8

Mash Ratio 1.15 qt/l
Post-boil Volume 5.30 gallons US
FG 1.016
SRM 14.0

Mash Time 60 min
Boil Time 90 min
Yeast Safale S-04
ABV 5.6 %
Evaporation 1.4 gallons/HR
Attenuation 73.00 %

Mash Schedule
alpha 152 F Mash in with 3.7 gallons US of water at 166.0 F
sparge 170 F Sparge with 5.5 gallons US at 170.0F to collect 7.4 gallons US

Fermentables
Name Quantity Percent Extract Potential SRM Method
American Crystal 20L 2 lb 13.7%
Marris Otter 10 lb 78.4 %
Vienna 1 lb 7.8 %
Totals: 12.8 pounds 100%

Misc
Name Amount Stage Time
Orange peel 2 ounces Boil 10
Coriander 1 ounces Boil 10

Hops
Name Quantity Form Alpha Stage Time
Cascade 0.75 oz Leaf 7.4 FWH 90
Cascade 1 oz Leaf 7.4 Boil 25
Cascade 1 oz Leaf 7.4 Boil 10

Cascade 0.75 oz Leaf 7.4 Boil 1
Cascade 2 oz Leaf 7.4 Dry 0
Totals: 5.5 ounces 37.8 IBU

Carbonation
CO2 Volume Presure Serving Temp
2.5 11.25 psi 38.0F

Basically I am bumping up the caramel color and flavor, lowering the mash temp to dry it out a little and adjusting the hop addition times to get a few more IBUs out of it....

After reading your initial post on this I gave this one a try. Brewed on 11/3: 1.060. Racked on 11/8: 1.014. Will bottle this puppy in few days. This one was spectacular tasting going to the secondary. I can not wait to pop open one of these in a few weeks! I tell ya, I like using the dry yeast. Lot less hassle than making a starter and it took off within a few hours.

Glad that you enjoyed it... this is one great beer! BlackLab has a winner here and I hope to have some tasting notes and pics from OrangeCascade v2.0 in January!

I brewed with coriander twice last summer. Its a wonderful citrus addition! I think adding it the last 10 minutes of the boil is the right time. I have noticed that after about 60 days the flavor starts to break down and disappear into a more brackish flavor. This could have been oxidation, and it could be just the natural progression from coriander. If I were you, I would drink it all sooner than later, save a few bottles for comparison.

Let me know how it ages.

Back