Austin Homebrew Supply and slow service (Not normally the case)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I HATE are those FREAKING packing peanuts!! I would pay extra to NOT have those!!

+eleventy billion

They're nice when I've ordered something breakable, but a little wadded up paper and a smaller box would work fine for most of my orders (ingredients and dry yeast until the weather gets cold and I feel like getting fancy).

No, the discussion isn't about getting it faster, it's about taking two or more times longer than normal to receive orders.

I need more info to find out what caused the delay. All I need is your name, or you can give me your order number.

Forrest

I always found AHS' shipping and packing to be excellent. Nothing ever arrived damaged, leaking or otherwise not in showroom condition. Always shipped nice and quick.

shipping and packing to be excellent

Yea - those peanuts - after the 4th box full are getting EVERYWHERE!! I'm trying to figure out if I can use them in a brew somehow.

Packing Peanut Porter perhaps??

Yea - those peanuts - after the 4th box full are getting EVERYWHERE!! I'm trying to figure out if I can use them in a brew somehow.

Packing Peanut Porter perhaps??

See if they can be used to filter the AG material out :) Of course they would probably melt.

Now you could use the corn-starch based packing material. Dissolves in water and boil.

There's a thought...maybe they could pack your order in rice hulls! :D

:off: I like those packing peanuts that dissolve in water. They make the weirdest consitency goo when half melted. And also a full box of AHBS packing peanuts make a great toy for my cat but not such a good toy for my broom. :(

Forrest figured out my order and said it would ship today. That's the type of service that will keep me as a customer for life.:mug:

I have placed 3 orders with them and I'm on the mailing list. I have never recieved any discount or any mailing. What am I doing wrong?

I have placed 3 orders with them and I'm on the mailing list. I have never recieved any discount or any mailing. What am I doing wrong?

Check your spam filter on your email account. Yahoo routed my discount email from AHS into the bulk spam folder. Had to move it into my Inbox with the hopes that Yahoo would stop trashing the email.

Forrest figured out my order and said it would ship today. That's the type of service that will keep me as a customer for life.:mug:

Glad to hear it on both counts. If I'm going to spend all of my money on brewing, it's nice that it goes to good people.

Now you could use the corn-starch based packing material. Dissolves in water and boil.

Forrest, how about that...any chance of you switching to the biodegradable, starch based packing peanuts? They are a much greener choice, it's a shame to see so much styrofoam going to a landfill, where it will spend eternity.

The peanuts also tend to fall out onto the street when the sanitation trucks pick up my containers. I spent much of an afternoon sweeping them up after the wind blew them up and down my street.

Midwest uses the starch peanuts, and they work just fine. After I remove the items from the box, I just carry it outside and dump them into my compost heap!

Forrest, how about that...any chance of you switching to the biodegradable, starch based packing peanuts? They are a much greener choice, it's a shame to see so much styrofoam going to a landfill, where it will spend eternity.

The peanuts also tend to fall out onto the street when the sanitation trucks pick up my containers. I spent much of an afternoon sweeping them up after the wind blew them up and down my street.

Midwest uses the starch peanuts, and they work just fine. After I remove the items from the box, I just carry it outside and dump them into my compost heap!

We tried using the starch peanuts but you should have seen the cockroaches and rats that they attract and then they see all of the grain and it is hard to get rid of them.

I would suggest you find a local business that ships and they will always accept donations of peanuts. Reusing the peanuts is recycling.

Forrest

We tried using the starch peanuts but you should have seen the cockroaches and rats that they attract and then they see all of the grain and it is hard to get rid of them.

heh no one ever thinks of that.

Guess they will have to make peanuts out of soy?

I would suggest you find a local business that ships and they will always accept donations of peanuts. Reusing the peanuts is recycling.

Forrest

Now where am I going to get ingredients for my "honeyroach ale"?

I will say that the peanuts that Austin Homebrew uses do keep everything in prime condition during shipping. They also seal any liquids in a plastic sealable wrapping (think foodsaver without the vacuum) so that it won't leak (my Star San was actually DOUBLE wrapped!). Everything arrived great and ready to brew! My glass instruments (thermometer, hydrometer) were sent in plastic tubes and then double wrapped in bubblewrap. I'm quite impressed.

+1 to annoying packing peanuts, but also +1 to recycling them to another local business! And +1 to you, Forrest, just on general principle. Did I mention I got a $100 gift cert for my bday from SWMBO? ;) ;)

You know what? +1 for everyone. I'm just in a +1 mood this morning.

My golden retriever ate about a gallon container of those cornstarch peanuts not long ago. I freaked out until I realized they were the cornstarch variety.

We are officially cought up. Thanks for your patience. Please sign up for our newsletter so you can receive all of our upcoming deals.

Forrest

P.S. Can someone lock this thread so it can fade away. We can start another thread aboout the 80's.

Forget the 80's...tell us about life on HBT back in 2005. :D

I thought I was going to return to brewing in 2005 so joined HBT. Didn't happen so I never posted, just read. With renewed vigor and a kid(legal age) who wanted to learn I forged ahead in 2007.
the bird and biermuncher: Y'all are c hatter boxes but have helped me so much in the last year. My SS fitting have arrived for the TIG welding....getting pumped. Charlie(old timer but still a new brewer)

Just got the email saying my order has shipped. Ordered Monday .. shipped Wed. Not too bad for being behind on orders.

Thanks AHS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back