Beer/Gas Line Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrothersTrout

Reaction score
I'm getting the parts for my keezer today, sans beer and gas line. The fittings on the shank for the beer line and my keg connectors are 1/4", and the gas fittings on the manifold and keg are 5/16". Now I'm reading that 1/4 is too big, and I should have gone with 3/16 - crap. Oh well, too late. So what should I do, increase the length of the line? How much, 10' instead of the 6-7'?

Also, I'm getting my lines at Lowes. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know someone asked about that exact thing a year ago and people freaked. But their 1/4" ID vinyl tubing is food grade (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=16813-104-SVBGE10&lpage=none), so I'm not going to sweat it. Am I really going to regret this?

Thanks!

Not sure on your diameter problem but I'd buy real beer line if I were you. I doubt the Lowes tubing is thick walled and I've heard of people having a vinyl taste when using that tubing.

Boil a cup of water in the microwave
Hold the end of the 3/16" tubing in the hot water for 30 seconds
Stretch the end over the hosebarbs
Clamp

This will work for the 1/4" barb on the shank. It will probably work for the 5/16. If the 5/16 is too much find or build a reducer. Find reducers like on this page http://www.plumbingsupply.com/barb.html (A little ways down the page) or build one with a short piece of 3/16" copper or stainless tubing

Code:
         ////C//////////////////       5/16" hose
////////[U]/////L/////[/U]                    3/16" hose
        [U]     A     [/U]                    Tube Inside
/////////////M/////
         ////P//////////////////

I've heard people mention the "thick-walled" thing - what is that about, just holding up to the pressure? Because the tubing at Lowes is said to withstand up to 55 PSI (way more than I'd ask of it)?

No, it's not just about the ability to hold pressure. It's about the thick walled tubing's ability to hold it's shape consistently down its entire length while under pressure. Home improvement store tubing will not hold its shape, even though it's rated to hold a certain pressure. Thick walled beverage tubing also has a smooth bore that is designed to help the CO2 stay in solution by reducing turbulence during the pour.

For beer line I love the LLDPE 3/16 tubing from McMaster

www.McMaster.com part number 5181K42

Now it is not easy stuff to work with, when I'm putting barbs in it I usually have a blowtorch nearby to heat it up to stretch the tubing over the 1/4" barbs (even then it is not very easy).

The great thing about this stuff is that I have no off flavors after beer sits in it for weeks on end. It also helps that it is 15 cents a foot, being smaller diameter it will also help in my next step of running cooled lines upstairs.

EDIT: I use this stuff and LLDPE is food safe, but the tubing from McMaster is not specifically labeled as food safe and you are supposed to use compression fittings with it not barbs (like I did) the inside also may not be as smooth as beer line (seems to be though) Works for me but I suggest you research as well and test some out before buying tons of it for your system :)

For beer line I love the LLDPE 3/16 tubing from McMaster

www.McMaster.com part number 5181K42

Now it is not easy stuff to work with, when I'm putting barbs in it I usually have a blowtorch nearby to heat it up to stretch the tubing over the 1/4" barbs (even then it is not very easy).

The great thing about this stuff is that I have no off flavors after beer sits in it for weeks on end. It also helps that it is 15 cents a foot, being smaller diameter it will also help in my next step of running cooled lines upstairs.

That's pretty cool stuff! It wouldn't work in my application because of the relatively huge 2.5' bend radius required so that it won't kink. I keep my excess tubing coiled up in the back of my kegerator. The 2.5' bend radius would make some huge coils, LOL!:D

If you use 1/4" ID, you'll need like 18 feet per line. Just order the correct 3/16th line.

According to the formula here (http://hbd.org/clubs/franklin/public_html/docs/balance.html) I need about 11 feet - I think 18 would be a little excessive :)

But I probably will go with something temporary for now and order replacement lines. I'd go buy the "right" stuff from my LHBS, but they want to bend me over for $1/ft. Methinks not.

No one has an issue with hardware store tubing for the gas lines though, right?

That's pretty cool stuff! It wouldn't work in my application because of the relatively huge 2.5' bend radius required so that it won't kink. I keep my excess tubing coiled up in the back of my kegerator. The 2.5' bend radius would make some huge coils, LOL!:D

I love the stuff, but hard to get set up. It is 2.5 inches
2-1/2" (2.5")

bend radius, so not too bad.

You will be a lot happier with 3/16. I have 1/4 right now and I will get 3/16 soon. It really sucks have two taps both with 20 feet of line because it takes up way more room than you would think in the fridge.

By the way, I think beer line might have a smoother inner diameter to reduce foaming.

According to the formula here (http://hbd.org/clubs/franklin/public_html/docs/balance.html) I need about 11 feet - I think 18 would be a little excessive :)

But I probably will go with something temporary for now and order replacement lines. I'd go buy the "right" stuff from my LHBS, but they want to bend me over for $1/ft. Methinks not.

No one has an issue with hardware store tubing for the gas lines though, right?

I tried 11 feet and it was no where near close enough. It came out like a firehose. 20 feet does well for me.

Are those threaded fittings or barbed fittings.

Barbed. I did end up finding 1/4" ID braided reinforced vinyl tubing at Home Depot that is apparently (according to the box) specifically for "beverage lines." So hopefully that will do the trick. It only came in 10' lengths though, so we'll see. Either way, it came out to like $.44/foot, so it will hold me until I can order the "right" stuff. Assuming it doesn't work on its own.

Thanks everyone!

Oh and also, I keep my beers at 40 deg and use 10 PSI. So that helps. If I plug those numbers into the formula (L = P - (H * .5) - 1 / R) with a length (L) = 10', pressure (P) = 10 PSI, height to faucet (H) = 2', resistance (R) = .7, I can get the pressure at the faucet (represented in the formula by a constant, 1) as 2. Two PSI at the faucet shouldn't be the end of the world. So I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

Don't let anyone fool you into buying the super special beer line. Just order PVC or other beverage grade tubing that matches the internal and external diameters of what NB or any other store carries. You'll get the same stuff.

The problem with any old PVC tubing is that it taints any beer that sits in it. See this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=615400

I absolutely find the same thing. The first 2oz of beer tastes off.
Note, 2psi at the faucet is going to be a firehose. I know it sounds like low pressure, but you'll get foam.

I'm actually going to order some 1/8" ID high purity tygon tubing from Mcmaster and see if 3-4' is enough to balance. It will be nice to not taste PVC anymore, nor have to coil up 10' of tubing for 5 different faucets.

I'm actually going to order some 1/8" ID high purity tygon tubing from Mcmaster and see if 3-4' is enough to balance. It will be nice to not taste PVC anymore, nor have to coil up 10' of tubing for 5 different faucets.

I'd be very interested in hearing about your results from that experiment, Bobby. Please let us know how you make out with that. Thanks.

Don't let anyone fool you into buying the super special beer line. Just order PVC or other beverage grade tubing that matches the internal and external diameters of what NB or any other store carries. You'll get the same stuff.

I think beverage grade is the key, not just "any" PVC tubing.

I use 3/16" thick wall vinyl tubing from lowes and have no funny taste, and no pressure problems. The thinner tubing is made so crappy that you wont even be able to stretch it. I have 10 ft of thick wall per faucet in my keezer. Before using it I filled a keg with hot water and pumped it through the lines to remove smell and taste. No one that has ever pulled my taps have mentioned tasting vinyl or plastic, and they repeatedly go back for another one. Just my .02

Beerthirty, have you ever taken just 2oz in a taster cup after the kegger sat overnight? It could be that you've always pulled more at once or that your beers are a little more flavorful. Maybe I have defective beverage grade tubing. Maybe kal had a run of bad luck too https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=60380

I also don't get an obvious plastic taste. If I pour two 2oz tasters one after the other, the first one is just "off".

Back