Wyeast Lactobacillus starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monchoon

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with lactobacillus from Wyeast? I made up a 1.5 liter non hopped 1.032 starter from a pack that was 6 months old and was wondering how long before I should see some activity?

I have it at around 99 to 104F on a stirplate, and it has been on there for just over 30 hours without any activity yet.

Is it past its prime? Should it be tossed out?

Any thoughts?

Lactobacillus is not a yeast and will not show any activity. It is used with (typically) a Wit or Belgian yeast to sour the beer, as in a lambic.

david_42 said:
Lactobacillus is not a yeast and will not show any activity. It is used with (typically) a Wit or Belgian yeast to sour the beer, as in a lambic.
Yes I realize that, it is not a yeast but a bacteria. Pediococcus does not produce carbon dioxide but lactobacillus does.

I was planning it for a Berliner Weisse style.

It took two days before I saw signs of activity in my first Berliner Weisse. I didn't use a starter with the Lacto but I did pitch it before the yeast. It produces very little CO2.

"Wyeast Laboratories, Inc. Brettanomyces and Lactic Acid Bacteria cultures are designed for direct inoculation of 5 gallons wort or beer. ... Cultures may take between 1-12 months to produce desired effects."

Yes, I actually have discussed this with Wyeast personnel. They said starters are a bad idea for bacteria.

Back