Belgian White ok to bottle after 2 weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kriso77

Reaction score
I did Austin Homebrew Supplies' Belgian White mini mash kit a week ago. I decided to go against the recipe instructions and keep it in the primary instead of moving it to a secondary after a week. My plan, hydrometer permitting, is to move to bottles after it has been in the primary for 2 weeks. Is this generally ok? Any advantages/disadvantages to giving it 3 weeks in the primary?

2 weeks will probably be fine, but 3 weeks would be better IMO.

i've kegged a couple hefes after 9-10 days in primary with mixed results.

hefe yeast generally ferments out faster than other yeasts and you want to have some yeast in suspension in the bottles. they taste better fresher.

Ideally, I like to leave mine in the primary for at least 2-3 weeks and then leave in the bottle for 4-6 weeks. Always better not to rush things.

Hope it turns out great!

:mug:

Cool. Fermentation was a little slow to get started. It took about 24 hours for anything noticeable to happen. About 2 days in, it slowed down and on day 3 it took off like a bat out of hell. I really think I need to do a better job with aerating, but that is a whole other subject. I'd rather play it safe and give it the extra time in the primary. I just wanted to make sure it would not hurt the flavor of the beer.

I did the exact same kit before I started doing AG. I left it in primary for 2 weeks and went straight to bottles. 10 days in bottles and it was drinking like a champ, fully carbonated.

I love it when that happens. :rockin:

Back