No Hop Shortage Here...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyk'd

Reaction score
...at least not for about a year+.

I just got my hop shipment in and tucked them all away in their Foodsaver slumber for a long winter's night.

Here's what 5 lbs. of hops looks like in 2, 1 1/2, and 1 oz bags:
PB030008.jpg

Here they are packed away in the freezer:
PB030014.jpg

I have to say, my wife was a real sport through all of this. With taking over the bottom basket of the freezer and, well...that's not my writing on the bags!!! :cross:

Cheers!

:mug:

Yeah, my SWMBO always worries that our neighbours will see me brewing on the deck and think I am making up a batch of crystal meth or something. All those little baggies of hops and corn sugar don't help.

Your own hop basket in the freezer! That's a very understanding SWMBO.

I think I'm covered for a while, but these stay in the freezer of the beer fridge in the garage.

Hops1.JPG

Hops2.JPG

Dangit I should have ordered some EKGs and Hersbrucker a while back. I can't find them anywhere. I do have 4 lbs of hops on the way, though - Cascade, Amarillo, and Ahtanum.

looks like a bunch of twenty-sacks ;)

I don't brew enuf to buy in bulk like that yet. once I have my house beers figured out, then I'll know what hops I MUST have on hand.

Here's my 5 lbs. (only paid for 3lbs, but hopsdirect/puterbaugh is generous!) Galena, Willamette and Cascade. I don't separate 'em like some people do, but I cut my foodsaver bag reaaaalllly long, so it can survive many many cuts.

4914-P1010086.JPG

Yep, old Puterbaugh is generous, but their prices have doubled. I ordered a pound of Amarillo and German Tettnang and got at least and extra 8 ounces each.

Yeah, I ordered all that from them in mid september, and the prices were around 9 or 10 bucks a pound.

A month later, everything was at least $21/lb.

Yikes!

It may be more work up front to separate the hops into manageable size bags, but I'd rather spend one day doing it than have to weigh the hops out for each brew. I'm already doing that with my grain, so this saves me some hassle.

I got an average of .2 ounces over for each type from Freshops, so I'm happy. I can make a hodgepodge brew with all the leftovers.

:)

FlyGuy said:
Yeah, my SWMBO always worries that our neighbours will see me brewing on the deck and think I am making up a batch of crystal meth or something. All those little baggies of hops and corn sugar don't help.

LOL my neighbors know better. They see me outside and laugh and say, "oh looks like Doug is thirsty again!!!"

Hey, I went to school with Martin Puterbaugh's son, Parris. Wonder if he is running the show now at the hop farm. Maybe I could get a discount. :p My brother's father-in-law was one of the biggest hop farmers in Moxee, WA. Too bad he sold all the fields for a housing project.:mad:

Back