Palmer's Maple Syrup Recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenbrews

Reaction score
Palmer's maple syrup recommendation is to add 1 gallon of grade b syrup to 5 gallons of beer. This seems like a lot to me but it is what he recommends for a noticeable maple flavor. Also he recommends to add it after the primary. If I do add it after primary about how long should I do a secondary? Also how will adding maple syrup at secondary affect the ABV, if at all?

From the searches I've done on this forum many people seem to add the syrup during the boil, but Palmer says too much flavor is lost during the primary. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

DZ

It seems that you would need an extended amount of time in your secondary to dry up the sugars in the maple syrup. I guess if you started with a really dry beer from the primary, you would be okay. Otherwise, your yeast would have to ramp back up to convert a substantial amount of sugar in the secondary.

Curious to see if anyone has any actual experience with this schedule.

I guess I should have started this thread in the beginners or general discussion categories.

Palmer's maple syrup recommendation is to add 1 gallon of grade b syrup to 5 gallons of beer. This seems like a lot to me but it is what he recommends for a noticeable maple flavor. Also he recommends to add it after the primary. If I do add it after primary about how long should I do a secondary? Also how will adding maple syrup at secondary affect the ABV, if at all?

From the searches I've done on this forum many people seem to add the syrup during the boil, but Palmer says too much flavor is lost during the primary. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

DZ

I don't have my bible...er my copy of How to Brew handy but are you reading the section on priming options? I believe that priming your beer with maple syrup will impart a nice flavor.

Check the bottling section of that book, it may do the trick.

I don't have my bible...er my copy of How to Brew handy but are you reading the section on priming options? I believe that priming your beer with maple syrup will impart a nice flavor.

Check the bottling section of that book, it may do the trick.

I prime nearly all my (3 gallon) ciders with maple syrup, and I would not advise this method if you're looking for any amount of maple flavor. It just doesn't come through very well/ at all.

Maple syrup ferments nearly completely, so you supposedly need a ton of it for the flavor to come through.

Most of us don't secondary, so I'd imagine adding to the primary as fermentation slows would accomplish the same thing...there will still be plenty of active yeast to metabolize the maple syrup.

Also, it will affect the ABV significantly...1 gallon of maple syrup adds ~300 gravity points. So, assuming it ferments completely, it could double your ABV.

Ah I remember now: Palmer calls for 5.5 ounces of maple syrup per 5 gallons of beer when priming. Says the darker sugars, like MS, leave behind a "subtle" flavor.

I've never done it, just a bookstore cowboy here. Palmer undoubtedly has though.

I'd be very surprised if boiling drives off much flavor. Maple syrup gets the crap boiled out of it during production. I have a couple of friends who sugar; I'll get their opinions.

Checked the book, seems like he's suggesting you put one gallon of grade b into secondary. I see your confusion, staying subscribed.

The syrup is mostly simple sugars. When you have a wort that has too high a percentage of simple sugars then the yeast might have a harder time with the maltose and maltotriose. Adding it at secondary allieviates this issue and will help preserve the aroma of the syrup. Really strong fermentations have a tendency to strip away more delicate/volatile aromas. That is my take on it.

Three or so years ago I bottled an oatmeal stout with a combo of maple syrup and dark brown sugar. It took about 6-7 months to carb. up but I was quite happy with it and will try it again soon.

Matt

A gallon of syrup is probably about 300 sugar points*, it will take a 5.5 gallon batch to 6.5 gallon (remember adding 1 gallon of liquid) and add those 300 points. It will then increase the gravity by about 45 to 48 points depending on your exact volume. If your beer started as a 1.045, you will actaully be putting in MORE maple sugar than malt sugar (45*5.5=247.5 points).

I don't know how much to put in, but 1 gallon seems VERY high. Typically aiming for no more than 20% adjuncts, so probably 1.5 pints of maple syrup.

* I worked the amount of sugar from some web sources for sugar grams per volume of maple syrup and got 305 points. But this is rough, OTOH, it is probably close enough for this.

Back