How many rhizomes per string

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eamster

Reaction score
I am not talking about how many bines to put on the string but how many rhizomes should be planted by the string. I noticed on the midwest supplies site they reccomend 2 rhizomes per varity. Obviously planting more give you a better chance at success but has anyone had any problems with just one rhizome per varity per string? Would like to plant different varities but if I do 2 per string that will limit the amount i can do. Any thoughts?

When I planted my hops last year. I did five rhizomes spaced a couple feet apart. I then ran a network of strings down spaced about a foot apart and had three bines per rhizome. One bine per string.

I don't understand how you would ever need multiple rhizomes per string.

Here's a video I did a couple years ago. You can see how one rhizome had five bines coming out of the ground in just a couple of weeks.

[ame]http://vimeo.com/22586617[/ame]

I am not talking about how many bines to put on the string but how many rhizomes should be planted by the string. I noticed on the midwest supplies site they reccomend 2 rhizomes per varity. Obviously planting more give you a better chance at success but has anyone had any problems with just one rhizome per varity per string? Would like to plant different varities but if I do 2 per string that will limit the amount i can do. Any thoughts?

One will do, two is just a backup plan done by comm. growers.

Here's a video I did a couple years ago. You can see how one rhizome had five bines coming out of the ground in just a couple of weeks.

That was a really cool TL video - I like how the bines visibly rotate up in a clockwise fashion.

I've moved onto a couple dozen plants that grow in a square to make a little building. In their prime, they grow so fast they are the perfect plant for a person without patience.

Latest posts

Back