APA grainbill with IPA hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started out thinking about making a Furious clone-ish type of beer. Lots of crystal malt, but high in IBUs so it finishes great.

Then I realized I have an amarillo-heavy IPA already on tap, so decided to go with ahtanum and cascade hops. I rarely use ahtanum, and I only have four ounces, so I'd be totally open to different hops for this, (as long as I have them on hand).

What I was thinking is using more crystal than I normally do, and some Munich malt for a firm malt backbone, like an APA. Then lots and lots of late hopping for a hophead IPA type of hop flavor and aroma.

Here's what I came up with:
10 gallon batch OG 1.060 IBUs 53
Mash at 151.

Don't Worry- Be Hoppy
16 lbs Pale Ale Malt 2-Row
4 lbs Munich Malt
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess)
1 lbs Caramunich II (Weyermann)
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [10.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min
1.00 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade (Homegrown) [5.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 oz Centennial [11.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade (Homegrown) [5.00 %]
2.00 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz Centennial [11.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min

I haven't decided on flame out hops yet, or dryhopping.

I have chinook (both commercial and homegrown), willamette, simcoe, amarillo, cascade, etc, but nothing too new or unusual. It's been ages since I've used ahtanum (did I buy them for something like Stone pale ale? I dunno) and I don't know what hops go well with it. I only have 4 ounces of the ahtanum.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Add some Chinook in the late additions and/or dry hop. I havn't been brewing for that long (less than a year), but Chinook has become one of my favorite flavor and aroma hops. The flavor and aroma it produces is intoxicating. BTW, your DFH 60 and Cream Ale recipes are two of the most requested beers among my friends. Thank you for these recipes and all of your brewing knowledge.

Add some Chinook in the late additions and/or dry hop. I havn't been brewing for that long (less than a year), but Chinook has become one of my favorite flavor and aroma hops. The flavor and aroma it produces is intoxicating. BTW, your DFH 60 and Cream Ale recipes are two of the most requested beers among my friends. Thank you for these recipes and all of your brewing knowledge.

Thanks for the nice words!

Yes, I think chinook would be awesome. That sounds great to me!

I'm getting ready to go crush this grainbill in a few minutes. I might have to sub out a few things (caramunich II and crystal 40L) if I'm low on some of the grain. I still haven't decided on the dryhopping- but I have about 10 days to think about it!

I'm using WLP001 for the yeast.

I'm getting ready to go crush this grainbill in a few minutes. I might have to sub out a few things (caramunich II and crystal 40L) if I'm low on some of the grain. I still haven't decided on the dryhopping- but I have about 10 days to think about it!

I'm using WLP001 for the yeast.

Yooper,

How did this beer turn out, if you even remember? :)

Back