Rhino farts???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hockeyhunter99

Reaction score
Ok. i have been having a different reaction to my latest brew. i have been brewing for a few years and i am used to the biotic yeast reaction to the gastrointestinal tract. but i have brewed a belgian blonde that has been really bad. my wife and i and even the dogs have noticed a big change.

here is the question. is there anything that makes them especially bad?

this last batch has been extemely bad. like my farts wake me up in the middle of the night.

Long, complex carbohydrates that your stomach and intestines don't have the enzymes to digest end up getting chewed on by certain kinds of microbacteria in your gut. Those microbacteria produce especially stinky byproducts, depending on their species and the nature of the carbohydrate molecules you are giving them as a food source.

Of course, there might be a lot of other factors at play, but the first place I'd look is mash temps. Do you have any reason to believe you mashed too high or low and ended up with a lot of unconverted starch? The more of those molecules there are, and the longer and more complex, the harder time you will have digesting them and the more flatulence those colon critters will cause for you.

Thanks but this one was an extract with a few steeping grains. other than that it was the same process.

i would fill up a stinky little balloon and take it to my doctor. Not for any medical value. Just for fun.

You need an ass-powered rocket. Yes, this is a real patent.

Ass-Powered_Rocket.jpg

Some beers contain hydrogen sulfide as a byproduct. Sulfites like this can make for some very stinky gas. It's the same ingredient as rotten eggs and swamps produce... in your pants.

If it worries you, go to a local hippy vitamin/health food store and ask for charco caps. They're granually activated carbon capsules that absorb foul intestinal smells. Let's face it, macrobiotic hippy-types eat a lot of undigestable foods and need relief somehow.

That, or they make charcoal underwear.

Back