Leap Year 2012?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Closing in on a year, I'm curious how everyones leap year bochet is doing...is it bottled? bulk aging? anyone snuck a taste sample? etc...mine is currently bottled mostly in 750 ml bottles, and down in the cellar hibernating hopefully til 2016, haven't tasted it since the very begining.

Mine is still sat on the cocoa nibs, will rack it off fairly soon and top up. Its not clear yet so will bottle when it is.

I've only racked twice counting off the gross lees.

Still over oaked. Im considering a second batch this Feb. to mix it with.

Tastes good otherwise.

Mine has been in tertiary off the oak and nibs for a couple mos now. Bitter from the cocoa, tannic, and over oaked, I think a few more years will do it some good.

Ok all, it's been over a year for a report....lawpaw, how is yours coming? Did the oakiness tone down? I still have mine sitting on the cocoa powder which I didn't add until the first of this year but it's tasting pretty darn good.

Mine is stabilized, back sweetened, transferred and sitting in bulk. I'm going to be moving soon so it will soon go to sleep in a corney keg under a CO2 blanket.
I think I over sweetened it, so one if my first brewing projects when we get moved will be to brew a 1 gal of dry bochet to back blend with the 5 gal I gave...

Back in January I put mine on the cocoa, took it off last week; I'm having trouble keeping people's paws off it lol. I'm getting ready to start a 5 gallon batch tomorrow; I really REALLY regret only making 2 gallons first time around.

So, 4 years have been and gone.

After having a kid towards the end of 2012 and moving house every year since my brewing was cut off pretty dramatically, I've only made one other batch since!

In fact I only took this mead off the nibs a week or so before this Christmas and it is still waiting to be bottled. I am a little worried that it may have oxidised slightly, but will just have to drink it and see how it is.

Did any one else manage to hold on to it the full 4 years?

Mine is still in a corney keg, and I can't decide whether to just bottle it, or if I still want to try and back blend it to reduce sweetness! Just been so crazy, haven't had the time to make up a small batch to attempt the back blend....

So I'm almost 7 months late checking in on this. Just curious how everybody made out.

In January 2015, thanks to a cracked chimney and 100 year old house we lost everything, including many gallons of mead, and almost all of my brewing equipment/supplies. The rebuild took just over a year, and I've since only made a basic sweet mead that's been sitting on tart cherries in secondary for a couple months.

Hope everyone is well and some of you got to enjoy this experiment back in February.

Back