cooling beer in the freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanabeer

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been really, really patient and conditioned my scotch ale for 6 weeks and it's awesome! So now I want to share it, but I won't have any cold enough tonight by putting it in the fridge. Anyway, with a BMC I would just throw it in the freezer for awhile. Can I do this with a homebrew without changing the taste or hurting the quality of the beer? I'm new at this so I am probably making too big of a deal of this, right?

I do this. 30 min in the freezer is just about right for my taste. You can also submerge in some ice and water to cool quickly.

The quick chill freezer method is how I cool about 75% of the beer I drink. This week I have some in the fridge only because we haven't been grocery shopping in awhile.

I'm even less patient than you all. I take a pitcher of water, add a bunch of ice cubes and about 2 tablespoons of salt.

After 15 minutes you're down to a very drinkable 47 degrees or so...

Yeah I do it. I put it in there for 40 mins and it's pretty much good to go. Any longer than that and it goes to the fridge to keep it cold. Don't want it freezing!

Back