Real Wort Starter with No-Chill question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-ost

Reaction score
Just got set up for 10g AG and no chill brewing and im going to kick it off with making a few batches this weekend but I only will be able to ferment 10g at a time for now. My question: I am planning on making RWS's from now on but since it will be some time before fermenting will I be able to set aside my wort for the RWS's safely in mason jars and in the fridge? Anyone store wort for RWS's for long periods of time that might be able to enlighten me? If i cant im sure my beer will taste just fine with rehydrating yeast quickly and conveniently... but thats not as fun...

I'm confused. Isn't the point of RWS that you take wort from your boil and build your starter out of that while your beer no-chills? Why would you want to store it?

Well my reason for wanting to no chill is because i love to brew but until i get set up with kegging i dont know if i want to bottle 40 or 50 gallons of beer let alone finding a place to put them all but i would definitely love to brew it. Because of that, limited space, limited time or days to brew, and limited fermentation chambers (for now) i will have several cubes sitting around waiting to be completed into beer. My brew days will now be making one, two, or maybe even 3 10gallon batches each time allowing me to experiment with plenty of different brews without having to wait for the last one to be done. I can make lagers in summertime and wait till its cold enough to ferment them, and i can even pick a different flavor of beer to ferment depending on my mood if i have several styles sitting around. Also, i can have a few batches of my favorite beer waiting so i can keep the pipeline going so to speak...

Bump. Maybe i could freeze the jars? any ideas?

I would actually pitch the yeast to build the starter when the wort is fresh and then store the fermented wort and the yeast in the fridge. Then, when you need to use the yeast, I would decant the liquid and wake the yeast up a bit with some dme-based starter.

You can look into canning, but that seems to be more work than it's worth for a single starter.

It seems a little silly to use RWS when you have cubes of wort just hanging around. Also, you are talking about having a significant pipeline going...why not pitch a yeast slurry from an already-fermented batch?

It seems a little silly to use RWS when you have cubes of wort just hanging around. Also, you are talking about having a significant pipeline going...why not pitch a yeast slurry from an already-fermented batch?

I've never done that before but i guess that sounds pretty logical I should look into that, thanks. I'm ashamed to say i haven't done anything with yeast at all, i've just always pitched the vial or the packet with no ill consequence.

And yes, I WILL have a significant pipeline going:tank:

if your idea is to have the wort sitting for more than a couple of days I think you will run into problems. Boiling the wort does not sterilize it rather just sanitizes it, leaving the wort for a few days will be OK but you want to pitch quickly. Once the beer has fermented then you can leave it sit as the PH has dropped low enough for almost all nasties accept yeast to be able to live in there. The concept of having 3 or 4 brews waiting to ferment might have some issues.

Just an opinion but before I got my pressure cooker I tried just boiling wort and canning it, within a week it was fermenting.

Clem

Clementine said:
if your idea is to have the wort sitting for more than a couple of days I think you will run into problems. Boiling the wort does not sterilize it rather just sanitizes it, leaving the wort for a few days will be OK but you want to pitch quickly. Once the beer has fermented then you can leave it sit as the PH has dropped low enough for almost all nasties accept yeast to be able to live in there. The concept of having 3 or 4 brews waiting to ferment might have some issues.

Just an opinion but before I got my pressure cooker I tried just boiling wort and canning it, within a week it was fermenting.

Clem

This is a fairly common practice in no-chill. Maybe it shouldn't work, but it does.

Clem

Also, I know plenty of people can wort without any problems in order to have it on hand for starters....what was your process?

Back