Please Post in a Conspicuous Place for 30 days.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewery Incident/Accident Report
Accident/Incident Name: olllllo
Date/Time: 02/23/2007 7:15 PM
Place of Accident Incident: Brewery Backyard Pool Deck

Describe Accident/Injury: While cleaning a carboy and tipping it to empty Oxyclean and water solution, olllllo claims that his right hand slipped from the carboy bottom. Left hand continued to hold onto carboy neck via carboy handle (see NB http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/carboyhandles.jpg) but handle provided only a false sense of security. Carboy shattered resulting in minor injuries detailed below.

Describe Nature of Injury: All Injuries were minor. olllllo sustained a 3/4" laceration to the small finger of the right palm where the palm meets the finger. Numerous paper cuts on the palms of both hands. olllllo reported feeling glass chips strike his face but no injuries were found. Oh and he also got a soaker.

Action Taken: Injury was minor, but worker was sent home early after injuries were dressed and Emergency Response Team (ERT) duties were performed. olllllo was held for observation by SWMBO to assess PSCDS (Post Shattered Carboy Distress Syndrome), was placed on a diet of mild sedatives (English Pale Ale - administer on demand until patient is sedated), and warm dry comfortable shoes were provided.

Operational Impact:
All brewery operations ceased because of the large volume of glass and inadequate lighting conditions. ERT Reported 1.5 hours of overtime cleanup and additional overtime on Saturday morning to clean up glass shards in the light of day. A review of procedures indicates that footwear is not often employed during this procedure. Due to the location of the Pet Access Portal, the Brewery Mascot (Ozzie) was suspended from at-will backyard access and all bathroom breaks were supervised. Capital equipment loss and production potential loss estimated to be approximately $20 and 5 gallons of secondary capacity.

Describe any changes recommended for SOP/QA:
Clean carboys in the grass and not on the pool deck.
Accelerate glass to plastic carboy conversion program.
Carboy Carriers <> Safety.
Gloves recommended, shoes will always be worn for this operation.

NOTE: Please have the Monday Morning shift supervisor reset the Brewery Safety Clock from 3681 days to 1.

olllllo said:
Oh and he also got a soaker.

Truly, the most dreadful of the injuries...

Are you a safety-guy or what? I see this type of report all the time in my industry. Very well done.

Now, if only everyone would read it, more soakers could be avoided. Alas it is the folly of man to not read, or at least to make fun of safety bulletins.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Are you a safety-guy or what? I see this type of report all the time in my industry. Very well done.

No. Just a flash back to my County working union days and work in a enviro lab years ago. It was fun to waste time on it, just like the old days.:fro:

olllllo...very nice. I laughed all the way through it despite what my mind was telling me about how I shouldn't have been laughing....

Glad you are okay--thanks for the laugh!

I need to send beer for healing purposes, methinks.

olllllo,
Sorry to hear about your brewery incident but your safety report is a hoot! :mug:
Those damn glass carboys worry me every time I handle one. Now that I'm using StarSan it's even worse. That stuff makes everything slippery.

Glad your not hurt but you just made my day...... I haven't laughed that hard while at work in a long time. And being an ex-supervisor I will have to say that was one very good I/A report!!!

Next time lay it on its side first, then tip it....

Brewiz said:
Next time lay it on its side first, then tip it....

Actually, thats what I did, but at some point the back-end has to be elevated higher then the neck and that's when it happened.

Product fails under 12" drop onto concrete.

I actually heard about this! My wife is a member of the "Little Sallies" club, and they posted this as the daily boo-boo. That massive 3/4" cut required like 3 or 4 kisses to make it feel better, right?

:)

Cheesefood said:
I actually heard about this! My wife is a member of the "Little Sallies" club, and they posted this as the daily boo-boo. That massive 3/4" cut required like 3 or 4 kisses to make it feel better, right?
:)

Unintended consequence #2: Glass carboy breakage makes others question you manhood.

See what you have wrought oh glass carboy?

My psychic pain deepens.

You'll be finding glass for months. Worst thing is you'll have to spend money on a new carboy instead of ingredients.

I've had two carboys break, both full of the good stuff.

One I dropped from about 3 inches when I was setting it down, the other my buddy dropped the hammer that we used to open the bucket with. Both were major messes. And I can tell you, when they are full it takes more than a mild sedative. Whiskey is usually required.

Anyway, all carboys are now kept in milk crates and the hammer goes straight back to the garage when I'm through with it.

I'm sorry to laugh- but the report was great.

I'm glad your carboy was empty, though. I broke one carboy last summer, and I'm still finding minute pieces of glass shards in unexpected places in the basement.

Man, I have one of those handles, and I always feel nervous picking up the carboy when it's full. I hope I don't ever do that. I own a better bottle, but this makes me wish I had two. :)

I just decided to sell off my glass carboys when they are empty and replace with better bottles, I'll probably break even on the whole deal.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
Was that said in a Harvey Keitel voice?

As a matter of fact, yes :D

harvey_keitel4.jpg

(color me impressed)

I feel your pain, man. Move to the Better Bottle ASAP!

todd_k said:
I feel your pain, man. Move to the Better Bottle ASAP!

Or stainless conical. . . Now that you've had the accident, I think it would be a short explanation to SWMBO as to the benefits of stainless!! Take advantage of a bad situation!!:mug:

ColoradoXJ13 said:
I just decided to sell off my glass carboys when they are empty and replace with better bottles, I'll probably break even on the whole deal.

That's what I did. I bought 4 of them from Morebeer.com and they were shipped to my door a buck difference than what I sold my glass ones for.

I've been very happy with them. They just rock!

sorry to hear about your loss. maybe worth digging up the grass and relaying new stuff? ...I hate broken glass! At least you were not hurt and did not lose beer.

...I have been on this forum for about two months now. At the start carboys were seen to be the best thing ever since sliced bread and now it looks like people are definetely moving away from them. Times are a changing...

EdWort said:
That's what I did. I bought 4 of them from Morebeer.com and they were shipped to my door a buck difference than what I sold my glass ones for.

I've been very happy with them. They just rock!

I bought a 5 gal and 6.5 glass many years ago.
I switched to BB last year and bought a 5 and 6 for a total of 4 carboys with the intention to replace the glass over time.

Subsequently, I bought out the equipment of a former brewer and aquired 5, 6.5 and 7.5 glass carboys.

Anyone in the PHX area that wants to make a deal here is what I have:

2 - 5 g
2 - 6.5g
1 - 7.5g

I will sell them (local only), but only if you buy all of them. Make me an offer via PM.

Sorry to hear about your loss olllllo..

you are in my thoughts and praye.... oh.. wait.. he's still alive.

Oh in that case I'm sorry to hear about your accident. It really does suck man. Glad to hear you only sustained minor injuries.

Whoever said that StarSan is slippery is dead on with this. It gets me to thinking.. StarSan is slippery and edible, it kills stuff.. I wonder if it kills sperm. I think I may have just invented the world's best spermicidal lubricant!:ban: :mug:

Orpheus said:
Whoever said that StarSan is slippery is dead on with this. It gets me to thinking.. StarSan is slippery and edible, it kills stuff.. I wonder if it kills sperm. I think I may have just invented the world's best spermicidal lubricant!:ban: :mug:

You let me know how well SWMBO deals with this, ok?

If you are still having sex with her after that, I'd be surprised. The foam alone would be enough to scare her. We women are taught to stay away from things that bubble.

the_bird said:
(color me impressed)

Thanks! It's one of my favorite and most quoted movies. I'm just glad to see that someone else realizes how quotable it is.

People normally look at me funny when I tell them "Chill the f*** out, I'm sending the Wolf."

in war gaming terms we would call this an AAR: After Action Report. Quite imaginative and it gave me a good snort or two of bursts of laughter; Esp the safety days rolled back to 1.

Nicely done. Reminds me of the twits at the shipyard, who only came out of their air-conditioned offices to post notices.

olllllo said:
Brewery Incident/Accident Report
Accident/Incident Name: olllllo
Date/Time: 02/23/2007 7:15 PM
Place of Accident Incident: Brewery Backyard Pool Deck

Describe Accident/Injury: While cleaning a carboy and tipping it to empty Oxyclean and water solution, olllllo claims that his right hand slipped from the carboy bottom. Left hand continued to hold onto carboy neck via carboy handle (see NB http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/carboyhandles.jpg) but handle provided only a false sense of security. Carboy shattered resulting in minor injuries detailed below.

Mistake #1 no reason to tip carboy to drain it. let the oxyxlean soak and do it's thing the siphon it out thus allowing you to consume homebrew in the process.

Describe Nature of Injury
: All Injuries were minor. olllllo sustained a 3/4" laceration to the small finger of the right palm where the palm meets the finger. Numerous paper cuts on the palms of both hands. olllllo reported feeling glass chips strike his face but no injuries were found. Oh and he also got a soaker.
suck it up wuss . . . again see Mistake #1

Action Taken: Injury was minor, but worker was sent home early after injuries were dressed and Emergency Response Team (ERT) duties were performed. olllllo was held for observation by SWMBO to assess PSCDS (Post Shattered Carboy Distress Syndrome), was placed on a diet of mild sedatives (English Pale Ale - administer on demand until patient is sedated), and warm dry comfortable shoes were provided.
Mistake #2 drinking at this point was the first thing you did right . . . but ya should have been doing it sooner

Operational Impact:
All brewery operations ceased because of the large volume of glass and inadequate lighting conditions. ERT Reported 1.5 hours of overtime cleanup and additional overtime on Saturday morning to clean up glass shards in the light of day. A review of procedures indicates that footwear is not often employed during this procedure. Due to the location of the Pet Access Portal, the Brewery Mascot (Ozzie) was suspended from at-will backyard access and all bathroom breaks were supervised. Capital equipment loss and production potential loss estimated to be approximately $20 and 5 gallons of secondary capacity.

no comments

Describe any changes recommended for SOP/QA:
Clean carboys in the grass and not on the pool deck.
Accelerate glass to plastic carboy conversion program.
Carboy Carriers <> Safety.
Gloves recommended, shoes will always be worn for this operation.

NOTE: Please have the Monday Morning shift supervisor reset the Brewery Safety Clock from 3681 days to 1.

Mistake #3 Clean carboys on deck but follow proper procedure of soaking and siphoning while enjoying homebrew

Mistake #4 Plastic is the devil

Mistake #5 still going to need carboy carriers no matter plastic or glass

Mistake #6 carboy handles are bad, go for the webbing belt desing for greater carboy control and support

Glass carboys cut as many people as guns kill . . . ZERO
I am around 100s of glass object all day long for my entire life and have yet had a glass object willfully attack/injure me

Dont blame the equipment for opperator error
:drunk:

Thank You
Pumbaa
President,
Common
Object
Colilition for
Kitchen
Safety

Back