Imperial Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootay

Reaction score
I was planning on doing an IIPA today. I started getting all my grain out and found a pound of carafa III. So i now have a black IPA! Will be my first black IPA and i cant wait to taste it! Below is the recipe:

Black IIPA
Imperial IPA

Type: All Grain
Date: 3/11/2011
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer:
Boil Size: 7.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 62.1 %
2.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 13.8 %
1.00 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 6.9 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 6.9 %
1.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.9 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.4 %

1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (60 min) (Mash Hop) Hops 8.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min) (Mash Hop) Hops 3.8 IBU

1.50 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min) Hops 71.8 IBU
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (10 min) Hops 32.2 IBU
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (10 min) Hops 13.6 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (1 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (1 min) Hops 0.8 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.071 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.9 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.8 %
Bitterness: 133.1 IBU Calories: 313 cal/pint
Est Color: 40.0 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: My Mash Total Grain Weight: 14.50 lb
Sparge Water: 3.92 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Step Add 19.29 qt of water at 161.8 F 151.0 F 60 min

Mash Notes:
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 3.8 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

carafa III added with 10 minutes left in the MASH

Pretty similar grain bill to what I've done. I used Black Prinz instead of the Carafa since it was in season and I also mashed for the entire mash. If what you have is Dehusked, mash it the entire time. Its not just for color, you'll want the roastiness from it as well. I targeted 100ibus and even now at 5 months old, the roastiness is nice and not overpowering of the hops at all.

The sample i had did have some roastiness to it. ill have to try with 60 minutes of carafa next time.

live your life with guidelines you will never see the true path.

Grasshopper

I ordered up the goods for the recipe last night got to the end and felt I was missing something.... YEAST! I decided to go with WLP007 since I used it in another Black IPA (stone's sublimely self righteous clone). What yeast did you use and at what temp did you ferment? Also, they were out of simcoe so I'm going to sub with amarillo. I know that this will turn up a completely different beer but any thoughts?

Whoops! I believe I used Nottingham but will check my notes and let u know for sure. I fermented at 67 degrees. I forgot to post back on this but we definitely loved this beer. I gave growlers to several friends. They all sat down with 4 or 5 other black ipas and all concluded mine was the best. I was quite happy to hear! I'm glad you are trying out. I've been trying to think of something to brew and this with amarillo sounds like a good idea. I have an extra Trappist style yeast in the fridge that needs to get used, I may try that with this beer and see what happens. Let me know how it turns out for you

Will do. Looks like the goods should be here by weekend so we'll give it a go. Fist time doing the whole mash hop deal too. I love it!

I did use Notti. That was my first mash hop experience as well. No idea what difference it made. I really like to make two 5 gallon batches side by side and see how different the taste is

Whoops! I believe I used Nottingham but will check my notes and let u know for sure. I fermented at 67 degrees. I forgot to post back on this but we definitely loved this beer. I gave growlers to several friends. They all sat down with 4 or 5 other black ipas and all concluded mine was the best. I was quite happy to hear! I'm glad you are trying out. I've been trying to think of something to brew and this with amarillo sounds like a good idea. I have an extra Trappist style yeast in the fridge that needs to get used, I may try that with this beer and see what happens. Let me know how it turns out for you

Not a Trappiste yeast, but I made a black ipa with Wyeast biere de garde yeast and it was amazing! Do it and report back.

Took a gravity reading last night and it's down to 1.010 . When we brewed this up kinda used more water than we should have and ended up with 6 gallons of beer instead of 5 so ~ oh well. OG was 1.054 so it's at about 5.5% abv. The sample tasted good! I'm anxious to get it bottled!

awesome!! glad to hear. we thought it was pretty good, but its always nice to hear another brewer that appreciates it

Back