The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, as a fan wanting to see all CONCACAF countries make it out of the group stages, I was pissed that CRC didn't get the penalty. But damn Ruiz made sure he was going to tally at least one today.

Except for that beauty. Makes up for the lack of the penalty.

Yeah, darn odds working against me! :) That was a nice one.

I thought that the non-call on the penalty was bad also, but missed the replay...apparently I'm expected to work periodically ;) Looked relatively obvious to me. Anybody else's take?

And the WC memes keep getting pumped out.

h7530854C

Yeah, darn odds working against me! :) That was a nice one.

I thought that the non-call on the penalty was bad also, but missed the replay...apparently I'm expected to work periodically ;) Looked relatively obvious to me. Anybody else's take?

I thought it was a pen. Chiellini didn't really attempt to play the ball.

Just switched the game back on (had to run out) and Ecuador scores. Come on Honduras, we're trying to show people there's more than just Europe and South America....

This has been a terrible match. Honduras lacks the skill to compete with top clubs. They'll be beaten by the Swiss and like everyone assumed, France and Switzerland through.

They put in a heck of an effort, but Ecuador played a terrible game from a fan of the "beautiful game" standpoint. Lots of diving lots of embellishment. Just a bad match and they weren't even for sure the better side. The refs were terrible too. Couldn't control the game and on top of that lots of missed calls. At least they didn't reward that dude with diving in the box but he should have been showna yellow.

Just switched the game back on (had to run out) and Ecuador scores. Come on Honduras, we're trying to show people there's more than just Europe and South America....

I'll take being acknowledged as being better than Africa and getting in the same pot as South America so we can for sure wind up with an African or Asian group in our matchup. We dodged worst case which was our draw plus Chile, but we lucked out cause of the high number of south americans in the top 8.

I'll take being acknowledged as being better than Africa and getting in the same pot as South America so we can for sure wind up with an African or Asian group in our matchup. We dodged worst case which was our draw plus Chile, but we lucked out cause of the high number of south americans in the top 8.

This is true. But lumping us with South America in a pot would make a very uneven pot for AFC and CAF and would require even more shuffling that they had to for this tournament. But it would probably also water-down the European pot.

I think any Asian or African country would be preferable to Portugal or Germany.

Wow, Iran should have had a PK around the 53'. Unfortunately it was a long long pass so there wasn't an official close enough to make an informed call.

Iran did a good job of keeping Messi out of the game... until it really mattered.

Iran plays really f'ing boring football. I get the strategy. It worked for them in their first game, and almost worked today, but I can't wait for them to be out of the tournament.

Damn, Ghana. Daaaayum. Way to hold up.

However, I saw these interesting tweets:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>These 2 teams have met twice with <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GER&amp;src=hash">#GER</a> scoring 7 total goals (&#39;10 WC &amp; &#39;93 friendly). All 7 goals have come after 60th minute. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GERvsGHA&amp;src=hash">#GERvsGHA</a></p>&mdash; ESPN Stats &amp; Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/statuses/480439964912869376">June 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Germany has 7 goals in 6 previous games vs African teams at the World Cup. All 7 goals came after halftime. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GERvsGHA&amp;src=hash">#GERvsGHA</a></p>&mdash; ESPN Stats &amp; Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/statuses/480440205007409152">June 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm not sure if I'd have the guts to stand there with my arms spread wide like I was all that after I just headed the ball off my own knee into the goal. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

It's tough for me, because US is best served by a Ghana loss, but it's hard not to root against ze Germans.

Well, I have the US to root for too, but it's same for me as with any team I'm supporting. They have to do it themselves, getting lucky counts, but it devalues the achievement. :)

It's tough for me, because US is best served by a Ghana loss, but it's hard not to root against ze Germans.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Haha, I was rooting heavily for Ghana, though I knew a Germany win helped us more. I think it's because Germany is the bully on the block right now and I want then knocked down a notch before we have to deal with them. I think that happened today.

Well the draw actually helps us win the group. It gives us one more scenario that would result in us being knocked out, though.

Here's a good write-up on the scenarios.

Short version:
Win one game - advance
Tie both games - advance
Lose both games - go home
If Portugal wins both remaining games, we go home, but other results are generally favorable to us.

Ok been checked out the last few days headed to the beach. Today's picks:

Belgium 2-1 Russia

Korea 1-0 Algeria

USA 100-0 Portugal

Like I said before, I may be reaching.

Anyhoo, I have a soft place in my heat for Germany bc that's where I learned to play when I was a kid. But man I like that the underdog pulled through.

Anyhoo, I have a soft place in my heat for Germany

I never could stand them. It's less to do these days with how they got all shooty and bomby on my home town and killing my Uncle and making my dad sad.....More to do with meeting them on real terms on vacation in Spanish resorts.......English people on vacation are obnoxious enough, but the Germans are obnoxiouser. :eek:

I actually met one once in Newark airport. He was trying to get off with my wife until I came along. He thought I was American, and proceeded to tell me that he thought the English were arrogant for trying to take over the European Union by not doing what Germany said they should do. (Join the euro dollar)

Whelp, Belgium-Russia is over. But I'm going to guess they draw. :D

Korea 1 - 1 Algeria
USA 2 - 1 Portugal

Back